Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2001 2:20:11 PM EDT
My 6 yr old son has made up his mind to become a US Navy officer.  (I know, it's a little young)  What routes are available to this goal, besides USNA and ROTC?  Any input from current and former Navy/USMC officers would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
can't answer the question, but i'm sending it btt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not an officer, but am former Navy.  His best choice is Annapolis, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops.  Grades should be excellent, but that should be so anyway.  I believe that unless his dad is Naval officer or CMH holder, you have to get an appointment through your Senator.  Next best is college that has NROTC.  Next would be just a college degree and apply for OCS.

Good choice, by the way.  Smart kid.  It is good to have a goal with a definite plan to achieve it.  He is starting at a good age, so he knows everything he must do and doesn't have to wonder 'what if'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My 6 yr old son has made up his mind to become a US Navy officer.  (I know, it's a little young)  What routes are available to this goal, besides USNA and ROTC?  Any input from current and former Navy/USMC officers would be welcomed.
View Quote

Good grades, 3.5 or better and active in school like running for school presidency and things like that. This should give him a good chance for appointment in the academy. Around junior year in HS start writing to your Congressman/Senator expressing interest in the academy and ask if they can help(that can't hur either)

Other routes:
NROTC scholarships. Again good grades helps. If there is a high school in your area that offers JROTC, have him go there and take it.
BOOST program. You must enlist in regular Navy then apply for BOOST. It basically allows you to go through the NROTC program if you did not qualify for the scholarship. I believe you have to be in at least 1yr enlisted service to apply for this.
Or go the route I went. Sign up as enlisted. Have the Navy pay for college while he's in and then transition over to Officers program after your enlistment.

If he wants to fly for the Navy, he would need to have 20/20 vision going into flight school. I believe they are still requiring that they pass the Marine PFT instead on the regular Navy PFT(I could be wrong on this one)

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
dont mean to be a party pooper, but hes 6 years old ? im sure he will change his mind on what he wants to be a few dozen times before he reaches age 12.
if he still wants to be an officer when he gets into high school, then thats cool and thats the time to take him more serious and help him achieve it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok my take.

The kid is going to change his mind a few times.

BUT! If you follow an "eagle scout" path, all doors will open to him, including Annapolis.

Instill self discipline, and ethics and you will serve your son well.

(And yes, the time to plan is now..... it just might not go the way you think)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top