Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2001 1:58:35 PM EDT
Ok, so I go to Applebees for dinner last night and order their N'Awlin's Skillet. It said "Grilled blackened chicken breast, smoked sausage, sautéed shrimp, onions & bell peppers tossed in our spicy Creole sauce & served over Cajun rice."

Man who in the hell do they think they are kidding? The sausage sure didn't taste like no andouille, the shrimp was plain, and I could only find 3 1/8" slices of chicken breast. Worst of all their "creole sauce" was just PACE PICANTE SALSA! Last time I checked there wasn't any Louisana hot sauce or at least tobasco in that stuff. It was a good thing I had some of their long pig bbq riblets. They haven't managed to screw those up yet.

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I last ate at an Appleby's about four years ago.  It sucked.  I see things haven't changed.  There are far too many restaurants to waste time and money giving second chances.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried them a few years ago and was not happy with the pickn's on the menu and I went back last month to give another try and it was worse.

Me go there on more! lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
They must be doing something right, because they just put an other one up by me.  I swear there is like 5 of them within a 50 mile drive of me.

I personally have never ate there, but will not with these warnings.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah.

Applebees == dizguztin'!

[puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke][puke]

Anyone eat at Tony Roma's? BEST RIBS EVER!!!

radioman
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Radio, if those are the best you've had, I kindly suggest you try a few more places. Good luck. Good rib joints are hard to find here in Or. also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Being a Northerner who LOVES New Orleans cooking (I order from CajunGrocer) and having been to New Orleans I can tell you that I have yet to taste anything even close.

Up here peoples idea of spicy is a joke, maybe 1 drop of hot sauce for 2 gallons of chili.

Everytime I go out some old goat is asking "is it spicy".

There is nothing like the real thing unless you make it at home and order from LA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
ya'll need to start going to ClaimJumper restaurant
bring the appetite and a doggy bag
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been to the one in Monrovia, Calif(20 mins east of Los Angeles) it was okay, but why waste your time and money on something that is just okay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
GeoffM24, If you are ever in Springfield, check out the Big Mamou.  It is at 63 Liberty St.  Chef Wayne makes excellent meals just like he made at home in New Orleans.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Food sucks, daughter ate there on two seperate occassions and got extemely sic both times.

Tony Roma's for ribs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Even watching their commercials makes me want to puke.
All the chain restaraunts like it are terrible.
Garfields, TGI Fridays, they're all the same to me.
And they're always busy. Fucking amazing!
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I live in Nawlins and they are nothing but a chain...Real nawlins food comes from the scummiest dirtiest hole in the wall...or you can pay out the yazoo for a 4 or 5 star restaurant and eat something created by the blackened creator himself

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monday - Saturday
Dinner: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Monday - Saturday
ADDRESS: 416 Chartres St. New Orleans, LA 70130
PHONE: (504) 524-7394

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DINNER MENU

Appetizers

Chicken & Andouille Okra Gumbo (Cup) 5.00
Crabmeat Popcorn w/Sherry Sauce 10.00
Shrimp w/White Remoulade 7.00
Cajun Jambalaya w/Sauce Piquant 6.00
From Chef Paul's Cookbook Fork In The Road
Chicken w/Citrus Tomato Sauce & Rice 6.00

Main Course

Shrimp & Andouille Creole w/Rice 24.95
Fried Mirliton, Sautéed Mirliton, Andouille
& Fried Oysters w/Tasso & Oyster Hollandais 24.95
Pan-Fried Veal w/Crabmeat Cornbread Dressing
and Jalapeño Cheese Hollandais 24.95
Pan-Fried Tilapia w/"Totally Hot" Shrimp
& Oyster Mulberry 24.95
PanÚed Chicken Breasts w/Three Cheese Pasta 20.95
Bronzed Veal Chop w/Mushroom Creamed Debris 24.95
Bronzed Swordfish w/Crabmeat Oyster Mushroom & New Orleans Bordelais 27.95
Blackened Yellowfin Tuna w/Drawn Butter
Blackened Prime Rib w/Brown Garlic Butter & Horseradish Sauc 28.95
Eggplant Pirogue w/"Totally Hot" Julienne Beef & Veal Avery Island and Fried Shrimp 24.95

Salad

House Salad w/Choice of Green Onion or Dill Vinaigrette Dressing  3.00

Desserts

Custard Marie 4.00
Lemon Cake w/Fresh Whipped Cream 5.00
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie w/Chantilly Cream 5.00
Chocolate Mocha Cake w/Chantilly Cream 5.00
Bread Pudding w/Lemon Sauce & Chantilly Cream 3.00

Paul Prudhomme
Executive Chef
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
All those places are basically generic. I was at the Outback in Reno a couple of times in April and was not impressed either time. I went to the Claim Jumper in Concord twice (and the one in Reno once) and while I found the quality to be better in Reno, their claim to fame is really large portions. Tony Roma's is far better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Dangit! I had two Johnsonville Brats on  flour tortillas with two cans of Coors for supper and you hit us with this!!!!

Bronzed Swordfish w/Crabmeat Oyster Mushroom & New Orleans Bordelais 27.95

and this

Blackened Prime Rib w/Brown Garlic Butter & Horseradish Sauc 28.95

Prices are a little high but damn it......ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#19]
tell me how to post a pic and ill give you some pics of all this
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Ate at Tony Roma's.  Very good ribs.  I guess I am not going to Applecrap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#21]
One of my Favorites
[img]edwards.datsol.com/Pictures/Crawfish98/pic00005.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Old Spfld Armory,
I work in Springfield so I'm there pretty much every day.

I have eaten at Big Mamou's and was disappointed.  He has WAY to much Carribean flair to his cooking.  It tasted much more like Jamaican cooking then true Nawlins food.

That first time I ate there was only a few days after returning from Nawlins so the flavors were fresh in my head.

His gumbo for example tasted NOTHING like K Paul's I don't even think there was any ruox in Big Mamous gumbo.  It look more like chicken soup with rice then gumbo.  It didn't have that great red/brown color of a great dark roux.

I also felt his dishes were just hot and not that complex flavorful taste of good Cajun food.

I had to learn how to make a great gumbo at home.

Let me know if you ever want to go shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I've tried the "cajun" stuff away from home and have come to live by a rule. Don't eat Cajun when not specifically in SOUTH LOUISIANA.

There is no substitute for our great food. Sure I've heard all of the "but it's just like the real thing", etc. Well it aint.

Lots of places call Cajun food anything with Tabasco. :) What a joke.

pnaugh - you are hurting me with that photo. I won't be back in the States until the end of next month and all the mud bugs will be gone. That chinese stuff is about the size of your pinkey.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
sorry about that ragincajun
but at least you will have a picture to look at whenever you want. Actually I went to two boils this year so far and they have been descent. So get ready for the next season....
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
sorry about that ragincajun
but at least you will have a picture to look at whenever you want. Actually I went to two boils this year so far and they have been descent. So get ready for the next season....

You know I had to laugh though, only a food post can make someone from Louisiana reply....
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
If anybody is in the Columbus, GA area...stop by a place called "Al Capone's".

Great food, admirable service, decent prices, and the best looking waitress you'll ever see.  I don't know why I ever let that girl slip by me...

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#27]
K-Paul’s is good. Been to N'Awlins twice and had some of the best restaurant meals in my life down there.

Try this if you're at K-Paul’s:

Blackened Twin Beef Tenders Debris

Twin Beef Tenders Seasoned and Blackened in a Cast Iron Skillet and Served w/Debris Sauce, Potatoes & Veggies

[url]http://www.kpauls.com[/url]

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Post from pnaugh -
...Real nawlins food comes from the scummiest dirtiest hole in the wall...or you can pay out the yazoo for a 4 or 5 star restaurant and eat something created by the blackened creator himself...
View Quote

Hey pnaugh, have you ever had breakfast at the
'Talley Ho Cafe' just down Chartres from K-Paul's?

Now there's a hole in the wall place with the best homemade corned beef hash ever made!

Eric The(I'mLeavingRightNow)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I know this is going to sound bad but I have not tried k-pauls yet..I live in a area called mid-city and there are so many places around my area that I hardly venture away from here. Maybe one of these years I'll get to it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#30]
GeoffM24,

Just shows what I know about that type of food.  I have been there a dozen times.  I am not into the spicey foods, but like anything with shrimp.

I have a membership at Nenameseck Sportsmans Club. I also shoot handguns at S&W shooting sports center.

OSA

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Old Spfld Armory

Next time you are down try a restaurant called faustos...its a Italian restaurant but they have the best shrimp fettuccini I have ever eaten, and it is not spicy either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
pnaugh......man stop it!!!Dang that looks good.
Hey Texans like good food too!!!

On a side note is Justin Wilson still alive? I had heard he had died but had never seen anything in print. The local PBS station was carrying his latest cooking show but is off for now. He is looking kinda ruff. The outdoors cooking series he did is one of the most outstanding things I have seen and have all of them on tape. People look at me funny when I tell them where some of my recipes come from but they sure do enjoy the food.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One of my Favorites
[img]edwards.datsol.com/Pictures/Crawfish98/pic00005.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Damn, How many South Afican Battle packs of ammo did it take to shoot ALL them?!?

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Gopher

You know I have no clue. I saw him at the airport about 5 years ago. But I cant say if he is still alive. I know he does not do the show anymore. BTW here is his BIO....I think some will like this:

The "Cajuns" long have been the pride of Louisiana, but they might have continued to blush unseen had it not been for another Louisianan, this one of English and French extraction, who lived in Cajun country and took its residents to heart.
This is JUSTIN WILSON, raconteur extraordinare and goodwill ambassador of the Louisiana Cajun. Wilson, son of Louisiana's late Commissioner of Agriculture, was working along the Bayou LaFourche when his duties as Warehouse Examiner took him to Crowley, in the heart of Cajun country. Being half Louisiana French himself, there was a natural affection between Justin and his Cajun neighbors.

Justin is quick to tell you that he is not a comedian, but a "Humorist" who finds something funny in almost everything. He does not laugh at his Cajun friends, he laughs with them and his genuine admiration for them shines through.

A safety engineer by profession, he traveled up and down the bayous for years telling Cajun stories. He found an ever growing market for his tales,

and was finally persuaded to put them on record so that a vast number of people could enjoy them. After making his first album which sold over a million copies, he has now released a total of 27 albums of stories and one album of Christmas songs with a jazz band and has composed 10 songs of his own, as well as composing the background music for his cooking show.
"Joos-tain" as his Cajun neighbors refer to him, makes his home near Lake Dixie Springs in Summit, Mississippi, 41 miles from his birthplace in Amite, Louisiana. His recording fame has placed him in great demand as an after-dinner speaker, and he spends much time traveling all over the United States in this capacity. He is a professional member of the American Society of Safety Engineers, a "damn good cook", and incidentally, author of five best-selling Cajun cookbooks, 2 books of humorous Cajun stories, films a syndicated cooking show for educational TV, has served as an instructor on human relations for four police academies. . . and did a radio commentary on current affairs. He is a composer, patriot and a firm believer in AMERICA!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Lonestar Steakhouse=Best

[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I have not been in an Applebee's in a year or so.  The food was just okay.  You folks seem to be ignoring the most important thing about a restaurant (except you Jewbroni).  Good food is one thing, but how cute are the waitresses?  Do lots of hot babes eat there?  I rate restaurants by the "atmosphere".
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DVD Tracker:
Yeah, huge portions.  Where are you located BTW?  

If you're ever in the mood for a really good breakfast, go to Peggs in Martinez.  Damn good pancakes and biscuits & gravy.
View Quote

Pegg's is cool. Every year when I get called for jury duty that's where I go. Real home cooking -- can't be beat. Damn, now I'm getting hungry. I'm located in the very south end of Martinez, where Martinez, Pleasant Hill, and Lafayette coverge. Real close to Reliez Valley Road.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Have to agree with many of the posts here.
New Orleans has the best food going. I like it hot but I like it with flavor and you don't get both in most places anywhere but in NOLA.
My ex was from down that way (Hammond) and for 20 years I spent anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks in LA. and truly grew to love the area the people, the culture and the food.
If you eve get a chance to go, jump on it.
The ex is gone but I still go down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Mmmm, a cold beer, couple bags of crawfish, 2 dozen oysters and a soft shell crab poorboy.  Now that is good eats!
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey  Geoff224 and Old Springfield Armory,
The only place for "lunch" in Sprinfield Mass. is the  5th. Alarm on Worthington St.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I agree somewhat with most of the comments. If I go to an Applesleeze I know not to get something like Nawlins eatins etc., I get something they can handle like a sandwich or hamburger. If I'm looking for Mexican, Steak, etc. I go where that's what they do. What was that saying about Waffle House?

The waitress factor goes a long way for me too, but I'm single and desperate.

BMB

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DVD Tracker:
Only once a year?  I go almost every weekend and I'm all the way out in Antioch.   [:P]

[url]http://www.peggsgrill.com[/url]
View Quote

My doc says if I keep eating that kind of food I won't see my 50th. he he So, to avoid temptation I have to stay away from the place. Ever have the giant breakfast at Nation's? Not as good as Pegg's, but in a pinch it will do. :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh how I miss home. I have a circle of friends, all from down the bayou, here in Austin who can cook what you see in that there pic. We do it at least twice a year in my back yard. You can only imagine the amount of beer that must be consumed while we devoure these thing. I'm getting kinda hungry...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top