Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2001 1:31:38 AM EDT
I haven't seen any posts or threads relating to the OLympic OA93 folding stock carbine. Are they any good? I might consider it for my pre-ban, depending on what you folks think. I don't wanna spend the$$$ on a ZM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about doing the same thing also, but haven't been able to get much info.  I've seen many pics of the ZM, but does anyone have some pics of the upper, bolt and internals on the OA93?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
if i remember correctly the sotck assy is a little flimsy and there is nowhere to mount a picatinny rail for sights and no irons?  plus it's and oly experimental unit, never fully developed.... false economy in my book.  if you have to have a folder - buy a daewoo or ar180 outright it would be money better spent.  the daewoo is the better of the 2 - the ar180 looks cooler.

steve
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you're missing the possible major benefits of the OA93 system.  No one cares about the sidefolding stock; its just an additional benefit as far as I'm concerned.  The part that interests me is the gas system.  If its an AK style gas system with a piston, it'll keep the crap out of the receiver.  Additionally, on an M16, it doesn't take long to fry a gas tube in f/a with a couple betas. An AK gas system is less prone to failure of weak points like that flimsy gas tube.  The Dawoo and AR180 are good guns, but neither of them have good parts availability, and neither of them can be mated to a registered M16 lower or used with a registered sear or link.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care about sights, I just wanna know if the system itself is acurate and reliable. Anybody have any first hand experience with these guns? All these AR fanatics, somebodys gotta have one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know Troy.  I called Oly about a year and a half ago about something for a customer and mentioned the OA93's.  I don't know who I spoke with, but the guy said they still made and stocked them.  What I'm wondering is, how close they are to the ZM kit.  The ZM is somewhere in the $1600-1800 price range, but I think the Oly's were about $600 or $700.  If they are similar in design and function, I don't know about anyone else, but for the same money I'd gladly buy two or three of the Oly's rather than a single ZM.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The Oly 2001 catalog has 'em listed and I think I saw kits on the Oly table at the last Big Reno Show. I just wanna know if anybody has any first hand experience, good or bad, with them.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about doing the same thing also, but haven't been able to get much info.  I've seen many pics of the ZM, but does anyone have some pics of the upper, bolt and internals on the OA93?
View Quote

I have their OA manual in PDF format, as does bighammer and others.  If you want, I would be glad to send it to you.

- mark
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
OA 93/96 series still use a gas tube for means of operation.  The recoil buffer unit is on the top.  I had the OA96 pistol.  I was cool onwing it.  The only thing that suck was the disamessebly proceedure.  Need a hex head.  I never had any jams and group size was resonable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top