Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2001 10:58:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The company I work for got hit hard by this one.  I recieved at least 30 of these today.  Fortunately, Solaris viruses are few and far between, so I was unaffected.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
We were hit during lunch time, and about 5 people ran the VBS script.  This one was very obvious but some will never learn.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
DK_prof has it exactly right. Some dumbass at work always opens the latest attachment bug - yep, they shut the whole company email down today! All f%$#ing hackers must f%$#ing die! [sniper]

BTT
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I think some of the people that hit me had their Outlook malconfigured. I don't think they actually opened the attachment. They probably had Outlook set to automatically preview messages, which would activate the script.  Thank Microsoft for having dangerous default settings.  They have since fixed this vunerability, but you have to download an update.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]

For you folks what ain't caught on yet...  one word...

'McAfee'...

'You'll be glad you did...'

db
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Here's the preliminary information on this virus. At this point the sites are very busy, so as we find out more info as to what the virus does, we'll let you know.:

Name: VBS.SST@mm
Discovered: 2/12/01
Protection: Pending
View Quote

Just to clarify a couple things so they don't get misconstrued from my previous post...

I don't know whose info sez 'Protection: Pending' but the McAfee version engine and DATs that I had up were TWO (2) months old... and still stopped her cold in her tracks...

The original discovery date for this particular virus (not necessarily the tennis babe's pic as a carrier) was 08/14/2000 per my source...

Methinks you might wish to find an outfit what's more on the ball...

And it wouldn't hurt to deep-six ol Willy's full-ah-holes crapola browser and mail progs either...

OCTJMO, ICBW...

db
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not even a photo. It's a name.jpg.vbs or a plain old VB script.  You can edit the file and see what the contents are, just don't run it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top