Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 1:36:06 PM EDT
I just ran outta cleaning patches a couple minutes ago.

If w was to use a 1" sqaure of a T-shirt that is "100%" cotton, would it in any way hurt the bore? Scratch it?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
i hope not ive been doing that for years and i dont always use white [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on how big your gun is, don't see how I'd fit a t-shirt into my gun...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
will you be wearing the shirt at the time of cleaning?
and will the gun be loaded at the same time? LOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
any ol' cotton patch is just fine. Polyester just doesn't get the crap out, but it won't hurt the bore.

I have a five gallon bucket full of old T-Shirts, 100% cotton, and mixed cotton/poly. They make fine rags for gun cleaning. I cut them up for patches all the time.

Nothing magic or special about gun patches. They're just cotton flannel patches.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing this for years.  I wear out white t-shirts faster than I can cut each one up into about 8 million little patches.  It's a lot cheaper than buying them.

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My local FFL sells bags of 100% cotton patches made by the Southern Bloomer Company. I guess they cut up their scraps and sell em for gun cleaning. If cotton t-shirt bits are good enough to buy, they must be good enough to use for free.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried one, it was hella hard to get into the bore of my .22, and it was about 1/2" x 1/2". as i was putting it in, i heard very loud high pitched screaching noises. so, i stopped imedately.

i tried to duplicate that sound with a regualar patch, but couldnt.

so, now i'm wondering about the t's as cleaning patches..
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Cotton is generally softer than steel; I thought that was only obvious.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have even gone down to the local fabric store to buy a small of cotton clothe to cut up as cleaning patches.  Nothing magical about the pre-cut patches you buy at the gun store, the only thing is that you personally have to cut them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top