Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2004 2:51:20 PM EDT

Welcome to the United States of America

It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to permanent resident status in the United States.

Your immigrant visa and new permanent resident status have been registered.  At the top of this notice you will see a very important number.  It is your INS A#.  This is your permanent resident account and file number.  This permanent account number is very important to you.  You will need it whenever you contact us.

We will soon mail you a new Permanent Resident Card.  You should receive it within the next 3 weeks (It took a little longer.  The guy at the border after my return from my interview at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal told me it could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 year). You can use it to show your new status.  When you receive your card you must carry it with you at all times if you are 18 or older.  It is the law.

The card itself is beautiful.  The front of the card has ‘Permanent Resident Card’ written across the top.  Below and to the left is my name.  Below that is a passport-style picture.  To the right of the picture there are several lines of vital stats including:  INS Alien Registration number, DOB, admission category, country of birth and expiration date.  It expires in ten years but I’m going to apply for citizenship in 5.  To the left of the vital stats is a thumbprint.  On the bottom are a bunch of numbers/letters with some of it being my Canadian passport number.

When the card is tilted, there is a holographic-type image of the Statue of liberty.  The light she holds shines a beam onto a map of the United States.  The thumbprint has the seal of the Department of Justice.

The back of the card again has ‘Permanent Resident Card’ written across the top.  Below that is written:  ‘This person identified by this card is authorized to work and reside in the U.S.”.  Below that, on a silvery background, the following is contained in miniaturized form:  a line of pictures of the first 42 presidents, a picture of me, my signature, A#, Seal of the Department of Justice, the Statue of Liberty, the flags of all 50 states and a bar code.

I’ve used it to purchase a firearm.  I was delayed but the purchase went through the next day.  I used to have to appeal most transfers but some went through after a day or two.  Go figure.  It took 3 years and approximately $9,000 in lawyer fees, INS fees, travel expenses, medical costs, etc.  Worth every penny.

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome.  Feel free to become a citizen and stick around.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome, hope you have a wonderful time.

Hate to bring out the Star Trek, but 'Live Long and Prosper!!!'
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Welcome

+1

(And he speaks English, too)
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome Aboard!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations.  Took me 3 years too, and I was married to a US born American citizen to boot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Great, thats all we needed, another French refugie!

J/k

Congrats C-4

Its too bad it takes so much effort to get permanent resident status for

Someone from Canada? It's not like your off the boat from Cuba or anything.

I wish you could get it scaned, the way you described it makes me want to see it. Sounds pretty cool!
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome and congratulations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#10]
All of us here, have ancestors that came from someplace else.  This is the only nation on Earth where immigrants become Americans.  Welcome to the last bastion of freedom!  
Ops
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread is worthless without pics! It is an American tradition so do it or well kick you out.

j/k( not about the pics)

WELCOME!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
All of us here, have ancestors that came from someplace else.  This is the only nation on Earth where immigrants become Americans.  Welcome to the last bastion of freedom!  
Ops

I have some Cherokee Indian in me though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Another Gun toting US man

please to have you
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ops

Supposedly they came across a land bridge from asia, ya dang immigrant!

Oh, and WELCOME!
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
CONGRATS !!! Got mine earlier this year too... love that pink card.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ops

Supposedly they came across a land bridge from asia, ya dang immigrant!

Oh, and WELCOME!

No, there was some guy on the radio today that said that the Cherokees were brought over by alians.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Welcome to the United States of America

It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to permanent resident status in the United States.

Your immigrant visa and new permanent resident status have been registered.  At the top of this notice you will see a very important number.  It is your INS A#.  This is your permanent resident account and file number.  This permanent account number is very important to you.  You will need it whenever you contact us.

We will soon mail you a new Permanent Resident Card.  You should receive it within the next 3 weeks (It took a little longer.  The guy at the border after my return from my interview at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal told me it could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 year). You can use it to show your new status.  When you receive your card you must carry it with you at all times if you are 18 or older.  It is the law.

The card itself is beautiful.  The front of the card has ‘Permanent Resident Card’ written across the top.  Below and to the left is my name.  Below that is a passport-style picture.  To the right of the picture there are several lines of vital stats including:  INS Alien Registration number, DOB, admission category, country of birth and expiration date.  It expires in ten years but I’m going to apply for citizenship in 5.  To the left of the vital stats is a thumbprint.  On the bottom are a bunch of numbers/letters with some of it being my Canadian passport number.

When the card is tilted, there is a holographic-type image of the Statue of liberty.  The light she holds shines a beam onto a map of the United States.  The thumbprint has the seal of the Department of Justice.

The back of the card again has ‘Permanent Resident Card’ written across the top.  Below that is written:  ‘This person identified by this card is authorized to work and reside in the U.S.”.  Below that, on a silvery background, the following is contained in miniaturized form:  a line of pictures of the first 42 presidents, a picture of me, my signature, A#, Seal of the Department of Justice, the Statue of Liberty, the flags of all 50 states and a bar code.

I’ve used it to purchase a firearm.  I was delayed but the purchase went through the next day.  I used to have to appeal most transfers but some went through after a day or two.  Go figure.  It took 3 years and approximately $9,000 in lawyer fees, INS fees, travel expenses, medical costs, etc.  Worth every penny.

Congratulations! Why didn't you cut through the red tape and just stroll across from the Mexican border?
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome to the good ole U S of A. Gald to have you,
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
[INS guy] "Congratulations, you are now a citizen of the United States of America!" [Apu from Simpsons] "Thank you....and which way to the unemployment office?"  Just joking. I love seeing people immigrate here legally. My guess is that you have some strong feelings about the idea of a blanket amnesty being given to illegals.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you  all.  It is very unnerving to be here until you get your Green Card.  You always feel like something will go wrong and you'll lose your visa.  That's not a bad thing:  better to keep people on their toes and their nose clean.  We don't need to import more criminals.  

I have to admit that it is a thorough process.  I sponsored my wife (also from Canada) on the same application.  You have to get your prints sent to your country of origin to have a background check done to avoid letting in anyone with a foreign criminal conviction.  The medical exam/tests are mainly to detect communicable diseases.  Why let in someone only to have the taxpayer paying for their AIDS drugs or multi-drug resistant tuberculosis??  The interviewer had my file which looked to be an inch thick.  If everyone immigrating to this country had to go through the same process we wouldn't have all these problems.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Friends of the 2nd ammendment always welcome!  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Congradulations!!! Pretty cool huh?
By the way, I NEVER carry mine with me unless I'm leaving the country. I rather get hassled for not having it than go throught the hassle of getting it replaced.
Next August I'm applying for citizenship.

ETA: If you're white guy from Canada you will never need it except to buy guns.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
By the way, I NEVER carry mine with me unless I'm leaving the country. I rather get hassled for not having it than go throught the hassle of getting it replaced.

I couldn't stop looking at the card for the first few days.

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't stop looking at the card for the first few days.

I fondled my for a while too. Did you have to show your right ear for the photo? I didnt get that at all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Grandparents (to the 5th) on Mom's side came over around 1640 or so. Dad's dad came over around 1900, so I've got "new" and "old" immigrant lines.

Welcome to America, and thanks for doing it right.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Welcome!

(Post-Soviet (1st generation!) immigrant from Ukraine, here)
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Welcome and congratulations.

+1
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I fondled my for a while too. Did you have to show your right ear for the photo? I didnt get that at all.

They gave very specific directions as to what the dimensions of the picture had to be and the particular pose I needed.  I had to get several sets of pictures before I was satisfied that it met their specs.  I heard recently that they will now accept passport photos and they will cut them down to size.  The last thing I wanted was to be turned away because the pictures weren't correct.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Once more, welcome and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Welcome to permanent residency, C-4!

Next thing you need to do is import some hot Canadian half-price strippers!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its too bad it takes so much effort to get permanent resident status for

Someone from Canada? It's not like your off the boat from Cuba or anything.

I wish you could get it scaned, the way you described it makes me want to see it. Sounds pretty cool!

Right,we would not want any of those.We know that anyone coming off a boat, is less desirable than someone who drives or flies accross our borders. I am sure everyone who immigrated to the US in a boat, is presumably a suspect of some crime.

I must admit that I never had a "purdy" permanent resident card

BTW  -just in case it is a "typo" - if you want to see the card C-4 has, it would need to be scanned,because if C-4 "scaned  it" (sic),he would not be able to post it.  

hehe I was wondering if you would respond :)

nice smackdown

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sounds good to me.  Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Hola, recepción a los Estados Unidos. ¡Espero que usted hable español!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Congratulations!

This is the only nation on Earth where immigrants become Americans.

Thank you Mr. Quayle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#39]
This is what we need - more high quality immigrants who value the rights and benefits of this country. I hope we get many more to replace those disgruntaled whinny democrats that are fleeing the country. (thank God!)

Democrats = the human equivalant of Lemmings. ( go find a ocean cliff please! )
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I can relate with you. My wife and I had to go through all this stuff. Now just the wait for her interview to become a citizen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top