Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 10:39:44 AM EDT
Went out on some Gov. land, or National Forest, whatever.. anyways...

Outta about 60 clay pigins thrown up, I missed 6, embarrassing, I know, but on some of them, I made it so I had to load the gun after the thing was threw. Although when I didn't have to load the gun, I hit several of the clay pigions twice. You know..when they like only break in half.

Then I decided to bust out my Marlin 880 bolt action .22, and shoot some paper. From 25 yards (yeah, i know, but it's as far as I could get back) I was getting .5" groups off-hand.

So, for the hell of it, I decided to have some clays thrown up, so I could try and shoot them with my bolt action .22. I missed the first 3 or 4, but after that, I seriously started hitting them, VERY consistantly. I think I had 8 hits in a row at one point.

I even hit some of them twice, on the ones that didn't break, but just a little chip flew off of them. Mind you, I'm a LEFT handed rifle shooter, and this is a right handed bolt action rifle.

Not to brag or anything, but that's pretty damn good, I'd say.

Capt. Obvious

(P.S. I AINT BULL SHITTIN'!)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Dang! That is impressive!  I sure wish I had land nearby to try clays with a .22, sounds like a heck of a fun challenge.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to give a little perspective, I was hitting beer bottles in the air thrown by my Dad with my .22 when I was 12. When we got good at that he threw the broken round bottoms. Boy, I miss those days...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
So you are saying you had fun.        
Isn't that OBVIOUS?

Sorry couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Be careful out there.  The sky isn't a very good backstop...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
That did remind me of the time I busted 100 out of 100 clay birds with my 10/22.  I was using explosive tipped 22lr with proximity fuses.

[;)]

(P.S. I AM BULL SHITTIN'!)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AR in the woods:
Be careful out there.  The sky isn't a very good backstop...
View Quote

Nope, but about 4 miles of nothing but forest, and old inaccessable fire roads are :)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Be careful out there. The sky isn't a very good backstop...
View Quote

Your right, fortunately we had 10,000 acres of woods around us! Oops, forgot about the spotted owl...[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top