Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 10:34:26 AM EDT
OK - roll call as to who uses ear muffs (headphone style) and who uses rubber / foam ear plugs.

SInce I just started highpower competition, I started using the plugs, so I don't have to worry about my muffs hitting the stock (M1 / M1A)

Who makes plugs with sound redux in the same caliber as  good ear muffs??

Whats the best baffle type plugs out there (i.e. allows soft sound in, but "engages" when loud noise (gun shots) occcur)????
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Dillon HP1 muffs.  They work great inside and outside.

I think someone just had a thread about noise cancelling ear plugs.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I use plugs that are the size of foam inserts, but they are solid rubber the consistency of gummy bears.  They advertise a 30 db reduction.  I use them for all shooting, carpentry, motorcycle riding, and lawn work.  I wore out my last set after about a year of fairly consistent use.  They lost their ability to rebound.  To be fair, they went through the washing machine a couple of times.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I use plugs that are the size of foam inserts, but they are solid rubber the consistency of gummy bears.  They advertise a 30 db reduction.  .
View Quote

Drift -

where'd you get 'em and who makes 'em??
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Both.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a tactical ear and prefer it to all else. When not shooting you can hear like super man and when shooting it works as well as the best muffs. best of all it does interfear with any of the rest of your gear. The down side is they are pricey and have to be made by hearing aid people and they try to skin you on the fitting. Also you have to remember to carry spare batteries.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Look for SPP-75.  I was wrong, it's 25 db.  Either way, they are the best non disposable plugs I have ever run across.  Nice disposables are better, but with my waxey ears, I get only one use.

[URL]http://www.silencio.com/[/URL]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Peltor Tac 6. Here is the marketing stuff...

PELTOR® - TacticalTM 6 Stereo NRR19 dB
The compact, folding electronic hearing protector electronically perceives and localizes weak sounds.
Excellent for hunting applications and for persons with pre-existing hearing loss
Impulse noise attenuated immediately
Features dual, stereo volume controls
Wide, soft padded headband distributes weight while two-point suspension exerts low pressure for comfortable, long term use
Soft, liquid foam-filled ear cushions provide added comfort
Light weight 8.8 ounces
Four 1.5 V long life AAA batteries provide 200+ hours of service

I have used earplugs underneath for really loud stuff.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
At work I use both. Silencio muffs and common plugs.(The muffs stay in the P&V alley, I wear the plugs the whole shift.)

At the range I usually just go with a pair of Silencios
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Smith and Wesson earplugs, $2.00, bought at Wal-Mart.

Flame on ma brothas.
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
AirSoft plugs, they give you a NRR of 27 db. I prefer them over the foam kind because they're plastic, washable and very durable. They also fit and stay in better than the foam kind.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I use both.

disposible ear plugs at walmart. $1.36

ear muffs $8.42

Being able to hear when you are old.  Priceless
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
so chuck and dave where do you get them?  Anyplace on line?  How much money?
TIA
Riz
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I usually wear both, especially when I'm shooting indoors.  When I'm shooting a rifle, I wear foam plugs and a set of slimline Peltor muffs.   When I'm shooting .22 pistol I just wear my Peltor Ultimate 10s but for centerfire pistol I wear the Peltor 10s and plugs.

I tried some of those "baffle" plugs and found that they were almost as bad as no plugs at all.

The folks at North Safety Products sent me some literature which says that even with plugs, when shooting, one should also wear the muffs.  This is because the bones around the ear transmit sound as well and these are protected by the muffs.  I mentioned this on rec.guns I had this information disputed by an audiologist from Australia (of all places).  I do know that the NRR for hearing protection is based on continuous sound and gun shots are an impulse so the ratings don't always apply.

The bottom line is that once your hearing goes away, you can't get it back so wear the best protection available.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I get foamies free at work.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Flame on ma brothas.
Jewbroni~
View Quote

as an american, you are free to betray whichever values you hold dear.   [;)]

i am saving up for a pair or Walker's Game Ear(s) - Cabella's @ $199.00 - they are similar to the Peltors that dave@shadows uses, except they are plugs that fit into the ears.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Flame on ma brothas.
Jewbroni~
View Quote

That's what I use...hard to beat even if they are S&W
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I use the Silencio plugs with the sound baffles becuase it doesn't give me the confined feeling that regular plugs do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
who said they put gummy bears in there ears?
thats not a bad idea -- cheap, disposable and tasty too (ear wax adds a bit of flavor) [:D]

i mostly use the disposable foam plugs, heres a TIP for disposable plugs -- STICK THE DIRTY ONES IN YOUR PANTS POCKET AND THROW IT IN THE WASH -- THEY COME OUT CLEAN AND SOFT and ready for another range trip, ive done this about 2-3x on the same pair of foam plugs and they are still good as new.

i have a pair of silencio electronic muffs, which are nice for pistol shooting, since they will hit the rifle stock. if its just you and a couple people shooting and talking a lot then they are Great.
they are bad when theres 20+ people all shooting guns at the same time, all you hear is the muffs electronicly turning on and off constantly. when that happens just turn them off and save the battery
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Peltor Tactical 7's and I'll also use foamies if I'm shooting the 50's...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#22]
both made by goodyear i think works good though i cant here S#$T when there on
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Personally, I use the custom molded ones available at the gun shows (hard rubber), and I experience a similar NR to the muffs.  The seal and feel are better as well over the foamies, as the design does not allow for questions as to if it is properly inserted.  I can't recommend them enough!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#24]
North baffle type ear plugs, muffs get in the way and are HOT!  BTW, how'd you like the airshow?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Hearing conservation studies have come to the conclusion that muffs provide better hearing protection than plugs. This is only because people do not insert earplugs FULLY into their ear canals. If plugs are inserted properly, you can look at yourself in the mirrow and you cannot see the tip of the plug. If you cannot insert them properly, use a muff. Find one with the highest NRR (noise reduction rating). The best muff is probably around 26 dB NRR. However, the best plugs I have found is the MAX plugs. They have an NRR of 33 dB. They are a strange pink color but they work well. Your best protection will come with a combination of plugs and muffs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The baffled or valve plugs DO NOT WORK. Anything with a hole in it is not going to work effectively.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I personally use a Peltor Tac 6 outdoors, and I use a combination of muffs & plugs when shooting indors.  I took a hearing test recently, and the audiologist could see from my test the pattern of hearing lost(not that serious according to him) that I was a right-handed shooter.  He said that sound waves are tranmitted thru your bones, it doesn't matter what type of hearing protection you use.  His advice, when try to avoid indoor ranges when someone is firing magnums.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I personally use a Peltor Tac 6 outdoors, and I use a combination of muffs & plugs when shooting indors.  I took a hearing test recently, and the audiologist could see from my test the pattern of hearing lost(not that serious according to him) that I was a right-handed shooter.  He said that sound waves are tranmitted thru your bones, it doesn't matter what type of hearing protection you use.  His advice, when try to avoid indoor ranges when someone is firing magnums.
View Quote

I am an audiologist and it definitely makes a difference what type of protection you use. However, plugs + muffs is definitely the best form of protection. I also use the Peltor Tac 6. Hearing protection studies do indicate that it does not make any difference how good the muff is when you are using plugs + muffs. Even muffs with greater NRR ratings do not seem to make any difference but that is ONLY when using plugs + muffs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top