Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 6:01:19 AM EDT
I see the term Blue Label discibing the AR15 and I need to know what this is all about. I'm not stupid just underinformed.:\
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It references Colt only.  Pre '89 guns came with green labels.  These "green label" ARs had bayonet lugs and flash suppressors.  In 1989, California banned AR15s and a host of others from initial sale.  This was done at the same time Daddy Bush's '89 import ban was enacted at the federal level.  California's legislation listed the guns by name and not by mechanical features.  Colt simply changed the name of the guns from "AR-15" to something else, like "Lightweight Sporter".  These guns are known as blue labels as per the new labeling scheme that the factory did at the time of the name change.  These guns did hot have a bayonet lug, but did have a flash suppressor.  These are still preban guns and you can put any preban upper on them you want.  Colt simply chose not to put a lug on them, it was not law.  Then came the '94 ban which closed the door even further.  Colt changed the name of the guns again to something like "Match Target".  Nobody uses a label color to designate these post '94 guns.

To summarize, "Green" or "Blue" label are slang terms used to designate the era of Colt production.

Green-production start through 1989
Blue-1989-1994
XXXX- 1994-current

I'm not an expert in this field, so some of the above data may be wrong in minor detail, but I believe it to be a good overview.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That explains it well. Thanks.
T. White
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the preban transition rifles that was a green label but with no bayonet lug. Anyone know how many of those were made?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Overpriced, but decent, blended scotch from Johnnie Walker.  :D
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Overpriced unless you have a friend in the restaurant biz, but I've NEVER heard it described as "decent."

Not the best I've ever had, but the best I keep on hand in quantity, and definitely better than decent. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
The 1994-current Colt rifles should be labled "Red Label," for their Commie connection.

Maybe a "Pink Label" for their pinko connection...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]
'decent' because it's a blend, without a heck of a lot of character and uniqueness.  If I want the similar nose/taste in a 'better' (IMO) package, I'll get a bottle of Talisker for $35 as opposed to $158+ for the JW Blue :D

Try it sometime next to a Lagavulin or the Talisker :D

If I spend two bills on a bottle of liquor it better be well worth it!  Like a Highland Park 30yr for instance...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/coltcolors.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top