Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 6:55:40 PM EDT
I'm about to get an upper for an AR-15 and I was wondering what I should get I get get a 20" barrel with an A2 upper for $400 but I can get the same thing with a flat top for $25 less. I want something that has the iron sights and can mount a scope on it. I know both of these can do that but I'm wondering what would be best get the flat top and buy the rings and mount and save up for the carry handle or should I just get the A2 upper and save up for the mount and rings. I don't know what one I should get it's going to be my first AR and I don't want it to be something that just sits in the gun safe. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Flat-top is more versatile IMHO.

Buy a A-3 carry handle or get a flip-up
rear sight that you can mount behind the scope.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My first AR was a Bushmaster standard A2 20" barrelled rifle.  I have no regrets about it.  I think (only my opinion here)the 20" A2 should be the core of any collection.  I do have a flat-top with a carry handle.  I was going to take the carry handle off and mount a nice scope but never did.  I don't really like the looks or feel of the removeable carry-handle, it just seems "bulky".  This upper is collecting dust in my closet.  

Out of the several AR's that I have, I seem to use the std 20"  and Dissipator A2's the most.  Lately I have only been shooting targets at 100-200 yards the iron sights are doing just fine.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok I don't really have the money to spend on a $89 carry top right now and I have a scope for the rifle that I took of my 30-06. I just don't know what to do. Also how much more versatile is the flat top from the A2 most of my shooting is going to be at the range don't know if that will matter or not. But I still want a gun that if something happens like the shit hitting the fans in the U.S. that I have the iron sighs. You see I don't know how many more months I would have to save to get the carry handle for the flat top. I might be able to talk my wife in to letting me get the carry handle but there go's the money for a new cleaning kit a range bag for the gun and other stuff. As you can see I don't know where to begin with this.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
the ideal is what boland posted - an a3 upper with removable carry handle.  i prefer the govt profile 20" 1/7 bbls.  but if you are strapped for cash - a good quality a2 or even an a1 sighting system is fine.

steve
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I'm not that strapped for cash its just that $89 for a carry top is to much for me to spend right now if I know of a place that sold them for less then I would go there but I have had no luck so far.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Take the flat top.  It is a more flexible platform.  There are other rear sights just than the carrying handle.  Try R-Guns.  Saw ad for $83.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take the flat top.  It is a more flexible platform.  There are other rear sights just than the carrying handle.  Try R-Guns.  Saw ad for $83.
View Quote

Do you happen to have the web site for this place.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want a scope, get the flattop. You can pick up a flip-up rear sight or handle later.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help everyone I think I'm going to go for the flat top don't 100% know yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top