Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 7:36:09 AM EDT
I think HI, NJ, and CA, banned anything over 10 rounds.  And FYI the DOES NOT include Mass. even though many think it does.

So is it against the law to take a 20 or 30 rounder to the range or have them at your house?  Or is it just illegal to buy or transfer them?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
If hicaps are ever banned in my state I will pick up and go. If the U.S. ever tries to ban my toys, I will pick up and leave. It is as simple as that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
In the PRK it's illegal to:

- Manufacture,
- Import from another state,
- Sell or keep for sale,
- Lend, give, will to, or otherwise transfer

any magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

For those that you wisely acquired before the ban, you can keep them and use them any place you wish.  You can take them out of the PRK and bring them back in.  You can buy spare parts, repair them, or send them anywhere to be repaired and then returned.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...If the U.S. ever tries to ban my toys, I will pick up and leave. It is as simple as that.
View Quote

And go WHERE?!?!?     [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
>>And FYI the DOES NOT include Mass. even though many think it does.

Right you are, GeoffM24.

Pretty much anything in the way of firearms and feeding devices is allowed here in the PRoMA, as long as the state and local police chief say it's OK. I detest the discretionary aspect of the MA gun laws the most, but we are stuck with them until we can change them. (I detest the concept of gun laws, period...)

But I don't see that happening soon. Most gunowners in MA either A) agree with the gun laws as written B) vote acc. to how their union reps tell them to vote, i.e., vote Demorat, or C) don't vote and don't care.

Sounds like most gun owners all over the USA? I'd say yes..... :^(

BTW a friend of mine is applying for a Class III licence w/ the Feds. Local CLEO is just about popping his own neck veins out about it, but not much the chief can do, except set storage conditions for the MGs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]
In CA you can have em and take em out to the range providing you had them b4 the ban. However you can no longer purchase, transfer, loan or mfg. any magazine over 10rds as of 1/2000. Parts to fix old mags are still legal in CA though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In CA you can have em and take em out to the range providing you had them b4 the ban. However you can no longer purchase, transfer, loan or mfg. any magazine over 10rds as of 1/2000. Parts to fix old mags are still legal in CA though.
View Quote

Ok, but how does one "prove" he had them before the ban?  Did everyone have to go and register with the state on how many hi-caps they owned?  What would keep someone from giving a few to a buddy, or a private sale between friends?  How will the gov't know who had what, and when?

They dont have serial numbers, last time I checked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont bring them to NJ unless you block them first.
This could be empty cartriges, anything, just as long as it wont accept over 15 rds.
I dont think theyre doing road side checks on this yet.[puke]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...Ok, but how does one "prove" he had them before the ban?  Did everyone have to go and register with the state on how many hi-caps they owned?  What would keep someone from giving a few to a buddy, or a private sale between friends?  How will the gov't know who had what, and when?

View Quote

That's right, there are no serial numbers and there is no way to prevent you from trading among friends.  There is no PRACTICAL way to enforce the import ban.  The only inspections you have to deal with entering the state are agricultural and immigration, and that's only on the highways and major back roads.  There is NO inspection of any kind for people coming in to airports on domestic (USA) flights, and no mechanism in place to X-ray or inspect every package coming in via mail, UPS, etc.

The ONLY way to get caught would be to have an LEO witness someone manufacturing or transferring one.  If you got pulled over by the PRKHP and had a crate of mags visible in your car, the state MIGHT be able to prosecute you, but the burden of proof would be on the persecution to establish that you didn't own them before 1/1/00.

(A crate full would be strong circumstantial evidence against you.  A sales slip from a Nevada gun shop would spell certain doom.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Noo Joisey has banned even possession of anything over 15 rounds.  However, the state supreme court has issued an opinion that higher cap mags are legal if they are permanently [b]or temporarily[/b] blocked to the fifteen round limit.  A piece of lathe under the floorplate, inside the spring is sufficient.  Some individuals have opined that a few empty cases meets the letter of the law, but that's not been tested to my knowledge.

All that said, I've shot in matches with cops, FBI & ATF shooters on either side of me.  Not one has even questioned my 20 & thirty round mags.  Good thing, none of them were blocked.  Cops have come to our "Family Fun Shoot" days, open houses, and shot my ARs.  Zero questions, except "where can I get one".

Norm
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ok, but how does one "prove" he had them before the ban?  Did everyone have to go and register with the state on how many hi-caps they owned?  What would keep someone from giving a few to a buddy, or a private sale between friends?  How will the gov't know who had what, and when?

View Quote

To some it's called a loophole and one day they will plan to close it, by banning all mags > 10rds, in Calif.

I suppose they may use the Van Nuys shootout as an example, "if only the Bad Guys had 10rd mags".
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Since I only have a 10 round mag for my 10/22 and two 5 round speed loaders for my .38, none of these laws affect me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Stupid idiotic cover their ass politicians!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
In Hawaii any cartridge that has a pistol manufactered for it is limited to 10 round magazines.  That means the ar-15 rifle  or anything else that is chambered for the .223 cartridge.  You can own high capacity mags for ak's, m1a's, ar-10, fal in .308,or anything else that does not have a pistol made for it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]
In Hawaii, The state law is a misdemeanor to have in possession a PISTOL hi-cap.  It is a felony to have it in the pistol regard less it is loaded or not.  In the case for the AR-15 mag, it is only a misdemeanor charge.  Why? It is simple.  Unless, you have the AR-15 pistol in your possession with an unblocked mag.  Then it becomes a felony charge.  Go figure.  The key thing to remember is that: "if there is a pistol that takes the mag before 1992, then it is not welcome here."  We are trying to correct this screwed up law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top