Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2001 4:27:57 AM EDT
I have a .270 M700 with a 6x-18x tasco scope my three shot groups suck at 100 yards.  However, it is only because of my first shot.....it will go way left while my other two can be covered with a penny. Does anyone know what may cause this?  I am an experienced shooter and I can get consistent groups with my other rifles so I feel that it isn't the "shooter".
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
First thing I'd look at is barrel bedding.  You may have the barrel channel bearing more heavily on one side of the barrel. If not then look at the action bedding, particularly the front end of the reciever. heat (or recoil shock) from the first shot may be shifting the action slightly after the first round.  Finally, try another scope as a test.  I know that Tasco scopes are a lot better now than they were years ago, but you can't rule out slight internal shifting from the first round recoil, til you check it by using another scope.
Good luck with your search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top