Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2001 10:35:52 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a good place to buy one of those Yugo M48's floating around as of late? There was a place mentioned in the old board that offered M48's with matching serial numbers in "unissued" condition with all the accessories for around $250. It wasn't AIM or J&G. The place I'm thinking offered all the accessories including ammo pouch, cleaning kit, bayo with matching serial number, etc. Any ideas?

mattja
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought mine from Big 5, they are a sporting goods store on the west coast.
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com

They were listed at $199 complete, they were on sale at Christmas for $159, I was able to buy mine for $159 last month when they were on sale for $179.

It was complete, the only problems are:

1. The sling is rotted (along with the ammo pouch) (no big deal)

2. The upper stock has one small splinter, I filed it down and filled it up with liquid nails.

They are covered in nasty grease (the commie version of Cosmoline I would guess). I shot about 30 seconds worth of Gun Scrubber down the bore, then 30 patched of Hoppes #9, then 10 patches of CLP, wiped it down, bought 20 rounds of PMC 8mm, and shot all 20 off hand at 30 yards. It worked perfect, I was grouping them in about a 4 inch diamater, with one flyer.

I took it apart and used an entire can of Gun Scrubber on it, stock included, I then CLP'ed the entire gun and sprayed the wood down with Old English polish, then topped that off with a wipe down of CLP just for shits and grins.

I also bought 500 rounds of Ecudorian 8mm mil surplus from Eric the Ammoman, it's corrosive, who cares, it's like .115 cents a round, it's almost as cheap as shooting a .22!

I took it to a 100 yard range this weekend, the target was an NRA 100 yard target, the groupings were together, I was able to keep them all in the x8 ring or better. Bench rest of course.
I also had no misfires after 70 rounds of the Ammoman ammo, good stuff Eric!

I like mine so much that I am going to buy another one. This one I am going to "trick out", add a scope mount, a Dayton-Traister trigger and some sort of a plastic stock.

They are listed in Shotgun News, prices range from $130-$250 or so.

If you do buy one, check out this web site, it has great info, plus it has a great little "owners manual" for you to download.
http://www.mitchellsales.com/
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
GEF, thanks for the great info. I know Big 5. Shopped there all my life. There's one in Concord about 10 miles from me.

Is that the model with matching serial numbers? There are some around with varied numbers.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has all matching serial numbers and it was made in 1944.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My stock was oozing with cosmoline.  I started with Nail Polish remover (acetone) to remove the top layer, and then used a heat gun.  Heat the stock without burning the wood, and the cosmoline bubbles up.  Wipe the crap off and do it again and again.

The bolt was filled with cosmoline and soaked it in acetone again.  I downloaded a manual showing how to take the bolt apart, but haven't done that yet.

Big5 is the purchase place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The bolt is easy, with the bolt in the chamber rack it forward, flip the safety up to the middle position, press on the bolt keeper, and slide the bolt out. Then depress the keeper pin on the bolt, and unscrew the bolt.

GEF
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
On oil soaked stocks that I'm going to refinish I degrease them with Easy-Off Spray Oven Cleaner. Works killer!
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried the Easy-Off, it works too, I think the Gun Scrubber is a tad bit less toxic than either the Easy Off or the Acetone. At least it won't burn.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun Scrubber is the most toxic of the three.

Easy-Off is lye.  It will cause chemical burns, but not liver damage.

Acetone is bad, but not as bad as Gun Scrubber (Pet distillates or the older chlorinated formula).
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the story on these M-48's?
Are they reconditioned German WWII ones or are they post war made on German machinery?
I would love to have one, and the price can't be beat.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's some information. I don't know how accurate it is.

[url]http://www.mitchellsales.com/M48%20PressRelease.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
There are two types of Yugo Mausers on the market nowadays. The K98k rifles are mostly refurbs (rather than post-war assembly from parts) from what I hear, many with German manufacturer codes/years intact but other markings obliterated.

The M-48s are post-war Yugoslavian built; seems like they were stockpiled as a strategic reserve as most of them show little or no use according to reports on the news groups. The design is similar to the K98k in many respects but receiver and bolt are slightly shorter, bolt handle is bent less, sights and stock different, etc.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I know I've seen them cheaper that Mitchell's.  I'd like to get one too.  Anyone remember any of the other places?
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
These actions are a intermediate size being something like a 1/4 inch shorter than a standard 98, so, bolts, fireing pins, extractors, will not interchange, only bad thing I've heard about them was the extractors are often not fit quite right,(loose) the shells will slip off the face of the bolt,and not eject, and extractors from standard size 98's won't fit.The one I had would do this every so often,others I've read about would do it every time, They are good rifles, the one I had had problems from the word go,(  I honestly think I got a turd) I think the barrel on the one I had was tweaked,I had checked the sights to make sure they were level with each other and they were, but it would still shoot 3' to the left at 100yds, by pushing the front sight to the left about a 1/4" it got close, but about half of the front sight was hanging out over the base, anyway,it went as part of a trade for a new bushmaster, Seriously though,I DO belive I got the turd of the bunch, other than the extraction problems, these are supposed to be good shooters, and I've been mulling over buying another one,Hell, if it's a turd I'll swap it for something else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Check with CDNN, I got mine from them for a mere $120 + shipping + dealer fee. It has all matching numbers in excellent/like new condition. It came with bayo, but non matching number. Bluing about 95-98%, bore is shiny, rifling is sharp like new. I got mine last summer, so dont know if they still offer that grade. Good luck.

Quoted:
Does anyone know of a good place to buy one of those Yugo M48's floating around as of late? There was a place mentioned in the old board that offered M48's with matching serial numbers in "unissued" condition with all the accessories for around $250. It wasn't AIM or J&G. The place I'm thinking offered all the accessories including ammo pouch, cleaning kit, bayo with matching serial number, etc. Any ideas?

mattja
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]
try www.gunsnammo.com they list them for 169.00 i think,in unissued condition
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top