Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2001 7:07:21 PM EDT
A guy died here in CT today, at an amusement park. He was apparently doing maintenance work on a roller coaster ride. He was wearing hearing protection, so he didn't hear the warning to get out of the way.

Thanks OSHA. At least he didn't die deaf.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the car was accidentally released I guess. He didn't hear the car coming or the warning.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where at?  6 Flags?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
think of the title of this thread, what does it conjure up in your mind??

[img]http://208.191.79.134/osha-tac.jpg[/img]

WERE HERE TO PUT IN YOUR AIR QUALITY METERS AND LIGHT LEVEL MONITORS NOW MOTHERFE@$##!
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
How could it possibly be OSHA's fault? OSHA regulations for working on any machinery is that the machine/equipment be secured, locked-out, or otherwise be made safe before working in or around.
Sounds more like a situation that someone figured he'd be OK disregarding safety practices. If there was a possibility of moving cars and people doing maintenance had no choice but to work in the area with hearing protection there should have had help.
I know alot of people bash OSHA these days, but just think what industry would be like with out them. Maybe we could rely on management to keep us safe. Not likely!
I have repeatedly been told by supervisors to clean in and around machinery while it was in opperation. Thanks to OSHA they cannot fire me for refusing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
There is not much chance the earplugs were the cause of his death. They just do not cut out that much noise. Just think of how many people would be injured because they lost their hearing on the job because they did not wear hearing protection and have permanent hearing loss and cannot hear things´they should be hearing. Its like the seatbelt law. More people would be killed not wearing their seatbelts. It is obvious hearing protection does more good than harm. I have monitored hearing protection programs for many years and found that it is males than complain the most and are the most obnoxious about compliance. Females and minorities listen to reason and are much more compliant. Some groups of people are just plain stubborn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top