Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2001 7:06:15 PM EDT
I'm going out of town for a while and I have a question that for the life of me I can't seem to get an answer to.

I use Outlook Express on my home PC. What I'd like to do, while I'm away, is to have all my home email get forwarded to another web based email account. Obviously this is so I can get all my mail despite leaving my PC behind.

Is there a way to do this?

I can't seem to find anything in Outlook that discusses this, but I'm fairly sure it can be done. I just want all my home email forwarded to my web based email while I'm gone. Can this be done....and how do you do it?

Thanks, I realize this is a moronic question for some of you, but I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to use Outlook Express.  I don't believe it has this feature.  The full Outlook has it under Tools/Rules Wizard.  Set up a rule (for now) that forwards all messages to your other email.  An alternative is to just leave the computer off.  The messages won't get delivered and will stay on your ISP's server.  You can probably access them through the web by logging onto their home page.  Depends on your ISP.

Norm
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Set up a yahoo email address.  Once you have done that you can set Yahoo to retrieve your mail from your isp, in most cases.  When you retrieve your mail using Yahoo it leaves the original on the ISP's server.  When you get back to your computer at home you will be downloading all of the same email.  This way you will still have a copy on your computer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on your email service.

If it is a normal ISP, you should be able to ask them to forward a copy of all your emails to a Hotmail or Yahoo address.

Give them a call or email them to find out.  They CAN do it, but they may not do it if you know what I mean.

If they won't forward a copy...........

What Aggie sugestetd is pretty easy and doesn't involve your ISP.  Just set up a hotmail or yahoo account and then go to the POP mail menu they have.  Set up Hotmail / Yahoo to download your POP mail into Hotmail or Yahoo.  It will give you a choice of downloading the email or leaving a copy on the server.  I would recommend you leave a copy on the server.  I have done this before with both Hotmail and Yahoo with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
This may seem a little technical, but here we go anyway...If you know your Email server, you know your password, and you know what your email account name is, just find a computer that has outlook express on it and set up your account on it.  when you are done where ever you are just delete the account.  If you want to save the messages just forward them to your own email address without recieving your mail and your all set.  if this doesnt make sense let me know!![whacko]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
the easiest thing to do is get a yahoo account and use the POP mail option. ya gotta know your server address thingy: mail.tamu.edu, for example. just set it up to leave the messages on your outlook account. im no comp nerd and i can do this. its pretty easy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
i have most of my mail sent to my yahoo address. it's free and can be accessed anywhere.
BUT if you want to go to your outlook mail box go to this site.
www.mailstart.com
from there you just type in your e-m add and password.
only drawback, is that you can only access once every 5 days.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.
I got my Yahoo email account, and I got to the part where you can have Yahoo retrieve email from my home PC.

Now I'm stuck again.

Below is the information they need in order for Yahoo to retrieve my email from home.

Mail Account Server  (e.g., pop.myisp.com)
Mail Account Username  
Mail Account Password  Port Number  (standard port #: 110)

Anyone know how I can find out what my Account Server is? I have no idea.

I assume my user name is what starts off my email address? [email protected] that right?

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
account username: usually the part before the @ in your address
Server: usually the part after the @
port: leave it at 110, i think
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BUT if you want to go to your outlook mail box go to this site.
www.mailstart.com
from there you just type in your e-m add and password.
only drawback, is that you can only access once every 5 days.
View Quote

I just paid the $6.00 for their service for a year. It works GREAT. All I have to do is type in the email address I want to see, plus my password and POOF!! My outlook email appears right on the page! It's pretty much perfect, and $6.00 isn't too much to pay for instant results. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Outlook can do it but you have to install the inbox assistant and you'd have to leave your computer on all the time.

Why not log into your home account from a remote location?
View Quote

Paul, how do I do these things? Where do I get the "Inbox Assistant"?

Also, how do I log in to my home account from a remote location?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
ok, i got it:
go to the tools menu on outlook
then accounts
then properties
then servers

the incoming mail (POP3) will be the server
THe account name is on that page
leave the setting at 110
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, you guys are GOOD!![thinking]

I realize I'm a friggin' goof for not being able to solve this mystery on my own, but you guys have been a HUGE help. Thanks.

Now I have about 4 different ways to accomplish what I couldn't figure out even one solution for! [beer]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
[size=5][red]LAST QUESTION[/size=5][/red]

How can I change the password to my Outlook Express? I don't see any option for that anywhere on the menu bar.

Come on fellas, just one last moronic question[whacko], and I promise I'll shut up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top