Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2001 10:25:14 PM EDT
The good ole AR-15 rifles which are going on 40yrs old are still in use here in Australia! I have seen many XM16s and early ARs marked .223 still in use. A little worn, but news bbls, butts PGs etc. The receivers are old pre 1970 Aussie purchases for our troops in Viet Nam. Yes, we were there, (Long Tan, Nui Dat, Vung Tu etc) sent over 50,000 troops. SAS, Infantry, all trades and Corps too.

Anyways off the topic there..... so now the Govt is gonna A2 upgrade, buying A2 parts and putting them on the old receivers. Many GM Hyrdos and standard Colts (A1s) too. But goes to show you, that even after all this time, of use and abuse, the oldtimers are still in use. Some even have the old butts without the butt trap, and the triangular handuards too. Chrome carriers and bolts, but all bird cage flash supps and all A1 uppers, some even A2 uppers. A real combination of servicer since the mid 60s here in Aussie. So hats off to the Colt people who have done an excellent job, and to the RAEME (Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) Armourers, who keep the fleet going!. 'Good on ya's all'. - 1feral1 Sydney
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My typing error - should read Early XM16S NOT EM, SORRY!
Quoted:
The good ole AR-15 rifles which are going on 40yrs old are still in use here in Australia! I have seen many XM16s and early ARs marked .223 still in use. A little worn, but news bbls, butts PGs etc. The receivers are old pre 1970 Aussie purchases for our troops in Viet Nam. Yes, we were there, (Long Tan, Nui Dat, Vung Tu etc) sent over 50,000 troops. SAS, Infantry, all trades and Corps too.

Anyways off the topic there..... so now the Govt is gonna A2 upgrade, buying A2 parts and putting them on the old receivers. Many GM Hyrdos and standard Colts (A1s) too. But goes to show you, that even after all this time, of use and abuse, the oldtimers are still in use. Some even have the old butts without the butt trap, and the triangular handuards too. Chrome carriers and bolts, but all bird cage flash supps and all A1 uppers, some even A2 uppers. A real combination of servicer since the mid 60s here in Aussie. So hats off to the Colt people who have done an excellent job, and to the RAEME (Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) Armourers, who keep the fleet going!. 'Good on ya's all'. - 1feral1 Sydney
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the board! [beer]

Yes, it does my hart good to see those old A1 and early models still in service.  A testament of fine engineering.  

I knew the Aussies were in Vietnam.  The have my utmost respect and thanks for fighting alongside our soldiers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Mate! Cheers and Beers -1feral1
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ther is an early M16 in our Arms room that was made buy Hydra Matic Div of GM.

I qualified expert with it last time at the range. It has been updated buy Aniston Army Depot, in 76, still going strong.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Seen heaps of GMs in the 317XXXX range of ser no's. Today!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
1feral1,

where in OZ land are you? i was lucky enough to be stationed in your beautiful country back in early '80s.  i was in Naval Communications Station Harold E. Holt. i guess the base was turned back to the RAN when the USN ceased operations there.  

welcome to the board! and g'day mate! i miss my emu export lager.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#7]
We have lot of M16s (not A1s) in our arms room.  Some have no mag fence, some have patial mag fence, some have 3 prong flash hiders, some have chromed bolt carrier groups.

They are marked AR15 LARGE w/ M16 small.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll try this again (I dont know what happened to my first post!?) After boot camp in and returning to my unit in 1981, I was surprised to find AR-15's which were select fire in the arms room. I think we had about 10 or so, I cant remember the exact number anymore. They had chrome bolt carriers, but I'm not sure of the fences. I was an armor crewman and we were still issued M3 .45 cal "Grease Guns" and .45 cal. Government Models (mine was an Ithica). It makes me "sick" now to realize that those .45's and AR's have probably been scrapped by now thanks to Klinton.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Wholy durability Batman!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#10]
my arms room had m16a2's lowers made by a company called "black unicorn" but with some parts marked colt. go figure how that bidding contract looked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Cronulla in Sydney's south, only a few minutes from the beach, but its winter now. The kids were in their rubber surfing this morning at 8C. Water is 20C. Too cold for an old dog like me! I am a Sergeant in the Corps of RAEME (Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) as an Armourer (Small arms ECN 146-2 on wpns, 9mm - 12.7mm). I am part of a Tech Spt Tp, attached to a RAA (Royal Australian Artillery)unit. - Arte et Marte, Ubique -1feral1
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
1feral1,

You are upgrading early M16's to A2's?  Why haven't they been replaced by AUG's?  Or are the rumors of trouble with the AUG actually true and your government is switching back to the M16?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
M16s are still used for water ops etc, Cdo stuff and even Enemy Force on Ex's. There is many thousand held here. The AUG is the main rifle. My unit has no M16s, but I was out at a unit that has many, and thats where I saw em. I do not know why they are not buying off the shelf jobs, as by parts is more $ and at 53cUS/Aussie dollar it hurts! it was also public knowledge in the papers that M4s have been purchased too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top