Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2001 2:02:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, you asked for it.

I would recommend the Savage or BDL over the PSS.

I would then blow the rest of the budget and as much more as I could on the BEST QUALITY scope I could afford.

While the PSS may be the more accurate of the bunch, you'll never realize it with mediocre optics.

You would do as well or better with the less expensive rifles and better scopes.

IMHO
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I strongly second the opinion. It drives me nuts to see crapy optics on a great gun. I was once told to expect to spend as much, or more, on optics as I did the rifle. Wise advice. If your like the rest of us, you don't shoot well enough to see the difference in the capibilities of the different guns anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep. Get yourself a good scope and then find a rifle set it on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with the bdl and use the money you save to put into good rings,bases and scope.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Both are good rifles, I have a bdl in 25-06. It`s a lovely rifle.
I second the optics point, leupold vari111 is a good place to start. Nikon`s are nice and a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, since you asked for opinions, I guess I'm qualified.  The BDL can be built into a very accurate rifle, but the Savage will generally outshoot the BDL until the barrel wears out (about 4-5000 rounds).  However, you will see 99 Remingtons on the highpower line for every Savage.  Remingtons will earn you style points (if they are worth anything)and retain their value much longer.

If you want a good rifle to keep and shoot, buy the Savage and a great scope.  You might also consider the Sharpshooter trigger....

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Mike:

The 4-5000 range is pretty common for most factory and custom barrels to lose their accuracy at medium range (500-600 yds), depending on the caliber.  Most of them will still group pretty well at 200-300 yards, but there will be "uncalled flyers" at the longer ranges.

In realty, 4-5000 rounds is a lotta shootin' for a crank gun if you are not shooting in competition.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the Savage 10 tactical in .308 about a year ago. I really like it. I just recently bought a choate sniper stock for it. It shoots really great.

I also have a Rem 700 that I spent quite a bit of money on for a trigger job and a leupold scope.

I actually shoot better with the savage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I can only speak for the Savage 12BVSS that I have. I've been thrilled with it out of the box. Any Savage will require the Sharpshooter trigger though, and thats another $90. But you can adjust it down to 13 oz. safely. Mines set at 16oz., no creep or overtravel. SWEET!  Ditto on the Nikon scopes mentioned above. Not a Leupold, but damn good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#15]
There was a comparison in American Rifleman a couple of years ago between Remington, Winchester, Savage,....Savage was the most accurate with a number of different loads.  Also I read a report from Sinclair International where they came to the same conclusion.

I bought the Remington Sendero though (before I was educated).  I get double stile points with the stainless action, fluted barrel and black plastic stock.  [:)]
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Why not blow the whole wad and then some on a used M-40?  For about $2500 you can have "the real deal" with scope...all set to go.  Check out some of the web sites (gunbroker, auctionarms or gunsamerica) and do a search.  I mean, really, if you're that concerned with a SHTF scenario, why not have what the big boys have?
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#17]
You can hardly go wrong with the Rem. This leaves you with the oppt.to upgrade and their is wide variety of aftermarket parts and stocks available. If get flush sometime in the future you can use the action as the basis for a real shooter. As for the optics, If i was on a budget i would look hard at the IOR-Valdada scopes. They are getting very good reviews lately and are being compared favorably with the best Euro optics(they use Shot Glass as does most of the high end scope makers in europe)the prices are incredably resonable. Also, if you are going to mount your own scope spend a little extra and get a scope ring lapper and lapp your rings--it can make quite a difference in accuracy over temperature. hope that helps
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
My brother has a 700VSS (Varmit Synthethic Stainless) in 308. He has a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VariXIII Tactical scope. He shoots 5/8 to 3/4 inch groups @ 100 yards with it. He has been wanting an AR15 and has tried to sell it but most people around here want the cheapest they can get. Savage and Rem ADL's are popular. I would agree wholeheartedly about spending as much or more on the optics. A Leupold Vari XII and the Burris Fullfield and some of the Burris Signatures can be had for around $300-$350. These would probably be a very good choice for your rifle.The Rem Sendero is also an accurate rifle but cost much more.The stock on the VSS and the Sendero cost $250 alone but is very nice![:)]
Let us know what you get.
Lynn    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top