Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2001 8:28:09 PM EDT
Hello all.  Been following this forum for a couple of weeks and figured it was time to sign up.  I got to fire a buddy's Colt Hbar Match over the weekend.  We live in NJ and found it more convenient to take the 2 hour trip to Pa to shoot it, along with a variety of other firearms.  I have to say, I really enjoyed shooting it.  I was surprised at the spring rattle with the stock after each shot.  Overall though, it was easy to fire shoot relatively accurately.  I say relatively because I primarily shoot pistols.  This is the first time I've fired a rifle in about 13 years or so.  My rifle shooting leaves a lot to be desired.  The hardest thing to get used to was sighting in using the peep hole sight.  Being much more of a pistol shooter, I am much more used to a post and notch configuration found commonly on pistols.  Anyway, after having a literal blast with this rifle, I am considering purchasing an AR-type rifle.  My shooting range would not likely exceed 300 yards, if even that, and was thinking along the lines of the carbine sized rifle (16" barrel) with the flat top and removable carry handle.  What are the benefits/ disadvantages of the carbine vs. the full size (20" barrel or larger)?  Which manufacturer and model would you recommend?

Thanks,
Ken
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was surprised at the spring rattle with the stock after each shot.
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WhoMe?:
Quoted:
I was surprised at the spring rattle with the stock after each shot.
View Quote

[:D]
View Quote

You won't notice it after a couple hundred rounds.
You should get the M15A4C by ArmaLite. Forgo the
iron sights and get a red dot sight. You will
be able to shoot faster and more able to hit moving targets with the red dot.
PS get a green or camo rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Howdee Rauchman.

Welcome aboard.

Knowing a fellow prisoner of the PRNJ, I can give a you two tips on places to shoot your AR:

1. Sunset Hill Range  (in PA. - right near Stroudsburg -- about 15 minutes over the bridge on 80)  Great place, very friendly owners too.
[url]www.sunsethillrange.com[/url]

2. Paterson Rod & Gun:  (fairly decent indoor range in the ghettos of Paterson) -- they will let you shoot .223 if you buy their frangible ammo.   (I haven't been back ever since they held a Smith&Wesson open house a few months ago)

(973) 684-6777
Market Street, Paterson, NJ

BTW: One other tip for you:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN possess 20 and 30rd. USGI magazines.  They MUST be blocked to accept no more than 15 rounds though !!
(as stated by the NJ Dept. of Law & Safety on Nov. 14,1997)  [url]www.homestead.com/njccw/njgunlaws.html[/url]

Here is a list of evil NJ gun laws: [url]www.njguns.com/trivia.htm[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top