Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2001 8:39:10 PM EDT
Last year I contibuted a rifle for the local NRA banquet. A congressman won the rifle in a raffle. I'm sure anyone who has gone to a NRA banquet knows the drill.
He never picked up his prize. I later found out he couldn't pass NICS check.
My point is...the requirements for purchasing a firearm are stricter than the requirements for becoming a representive of the government. He later resigned after he was implicated in inproper spending of gov. funds.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ken, great analogy!! It just makes a point of how effective the current gun laws are(if they are enforced). Of course, the bad guys (most politicians)are always going to have a way to get guns(most politicians dont need their own guns anyway, they have government paid security forces to look after them that have (oh my!)collapsible stocks, flash hiders and bayonet lugs(Lord forbid!!!).
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope no one is too shocked about this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess he put the CON in "CONgress"[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
To quote Nelson from The Simpsons:

[size=5]HA HA![/size=5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
You would think that someone's criminal record would be made completely public if they run for office.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My point is...the requirements for purchasing a firearm are stricter than the requirements for becoming a representive of the government. quote]

I see that as a problem. I wonder how many US congressmen cold not legally purchase a firearm?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I doubt seriously that any of them pass the backgroung check. And on any given evening none of them will pass the sobriety check either.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
So what is this guys name and how did he represent?
Inquiring minds want to know....
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]
IIRC, lots of Congress critters (somewhere around 50%) have had run-ins with the law, for things such as DUI, bad checks, spousal abuse, etc.  What else would you expect from our legislaturers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IIRC, lots of Congress critters (somewhere around 50%) have had run-ins with the law, for things such as DUI, bad checks, spousal abuse, etc.  What else would you expect from our legislaturers?
View Quote

I visited Washington D.C. the previous summer, and I had a tour of the old meeting rooms etc.  And they had spitons etc on the floor, the guide said that in the early days of the country, they had a few legislators that were rouges and scroundels in office.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Do any of you have the time and means to validate what is posted below?  

[url]www.lasvegas.com/lenny/031901.html[/url]

"Can you imagine working for an organization that has some 500+ employees with the following statistics:
29 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least two businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year
You're probably saying, "Hey, Lenny, how did you find all this about my company?" Well, your firm may have the same type of stats, but in this case, it's the 535-member United States Congress. The same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line."

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top