Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2004 7:05:19 AM EDT
Posterchild informed me that the Goodyear next door to our office has a sign stating "No Weapons on Allowed on Premises" with a picture of a handgun with a bar though it.

So I verified that and decided to voice my opinion on the matter to them:

To Goodyear
I recently had an object in my tire and used your company's services to have it repaired. The location is on Colorado Ave in Stuart, FL. The service was done in a professional manner and the cost was within what I considered fair.

However, after paying for the repair, I noticed a sign stating "No Weapons on Premises". I am licensed BY THE STATE to be able to carry a concealed weapon, and as such I will no longer be spending my wages in your establishments for several reasons.
1.) I have gone through the classes, I have met all requirements mandated BY THE STATE and have been given LEGAL RIGHT to carry. Who is GoodYear to take that right from me?
2.) If a criminal saw this, would he hesitate to enter knowing that law-abiding citizens with CWPs would not carry in their, or like me, wouldn't use GoodYear's services. I feel this makes your establishment far more dangerous for everyone involved.
3.) My weapon is carried CONCEALED. Do I get strip-searched? Who is given the job of violating me and my rights against illegal search and seizure?

In closing, I hope that you will review your policies, as you do provide a valuable service in a timely manner, and your location, to me, is convenient.

Darrell Batton
=================================

The snippy response I received:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Dear Darrell, Thank you for contacting our website. We are sorry that you feel the need to carry a gun with you to our company owned
Goodyear Auto Service Store in Stuart, FL. Perhaps you would be more comfortable going to a location that allows you to carry your
weapon onto their premises.PBayless

And my final response:

Apparently, you've missed my point. It's not GoodYear's call on where I can and cannot carry a weapon, it is the State of Florida. I feel more comfortable going to a place that does NOT infringe upon my rights.

Rest assured that I will be passing the word to those that believe as I do on your company's stance.

Darrell Batton

One more place I'll not be spending my money.

Spread the word!

Kaz
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I need tires for my truck. I believe I'll try the nearest GoodTear and see what's up.
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#2]

A goodyear employee here in Birmingham broke my lumbar device in my truck's driver's seat.  I promptly brought it back for reparations or to have it repaired - of which they refused.

After contacting their corporate customer service and the Better Business Bureau without any luck, I have just decided that Goodyear will never get any of my business, or my family's business ever again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I, and a couple of other ARFCOMers, are members of Zeppelin Rifle Club in Akron, OH - which has ties with Goodyear. If I have my facts straight, it was started as a club for employees and then turned over to the membership. Last i heard, Goodyear security/police still use the range to practice and qualify. I don't know the current mindset of the Goodyear execs, but FWIW they do have an affiliated range near their headquarters.

Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
"A place for everything, and everything in it's place" as long as they call the shots?

Good to see a second side of them....
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I, and a couple of other ARFCOMers, are members of Zeppelin Rifle Club in Akron, OH - which has ties with Goodyear. If I have my facts straight, it was started as a club for employees and then turned over to the membership. Last i heard, Goodyear security/police still use the range to practice and qualify. I don't know the current mindset of the Goodyear execs, but FWIW they do have an affiliated range near their headquarters.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/gunfanatic/Guns/zrc.jpg

Goodyear can still kiss my rear-end, the complete and total disrespect they showed me as a customer has pretty much sealed that fate for my relationship with Goodyear again, as well as my family down line.

It would be different if it had only been the local shop that screwed me, but the corporate did as well.  Now I'm out of pocket to fix something that one of their employees broke.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
"No Weapons on Allowed on Premises"...

in Texas that would not apply

the owner would have to display a large sign with 1" high contrasting block letters stating.

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

are the laws different in FL?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#8]
This may very well not be a corporate issue.  This could be a local policy.  I plan to check out a couple of other local GoodYear establishments and see if they also post a similar sign.  

But I can assure you that I will not be giving any business to this particular store again.  I actually declined having them fix my tire because of that stores' stance.  I did not notice the sign initially because I went in through the service bay.  They later called me and told me that the tire was not repairable and needed to re replaced for $120.  So I went over to look at the damage and possibly have them replace the tire.  When I noticed the sign, I decided to not give them my business.

No, I did not bring it up with the manager at that time as, like I stated above, I am planning on seeing if other local stores have the same sign posted before I formulate my response to them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"No Weapons on Allowed on Premises"...

in Texas that would not apply

the owner would have to display a large sign with 1" high contrasting block letters stating.

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

are the laws different in FL?

I am looking now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#10]

A pic I just took of the offending sign.

I asked the young man at the counter about it, he said its been there as long as he's worked there.

Shame on me for missing it.....guess it wasn't working very well!

(edited for typoz)
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
users.adelphia.net/~kazion/nogun.jpg

I asked the young man at the counter about it, he said its been there as long as he's worked there.

(edited for typoz)

I can't read, so to me, it just looks like they don't prefer people to carry revolvers ... I should be fine with my 1911.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
users.adelphia.net/~kazion/nogun.jpg

(edited for typoz)

That sign clearly forbids the carrying of revolvers.  Semi-Automatics are good to go!  ETA: I was a little slow
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/gunfanatic/Guns/zrc.jpg

Another club member checking in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top