Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2004 4:05:12 AM EDT
I've been thinking.
Seeing some of the results from states that sKerry won, it appears to me that he only won in the large urban center. Take PA for example. Looking county by county it appears that Bush carried most of the state, but sKerry manages to get Philly and thus carries the whole state.

Is it just me or does this sort of system seem a little unfair?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cry about it one way or the other. That's the system and I'll live with it, but it does seem a little scewed when Bush can carry something like 35 - 40 counties, but still lose a state.

Now I'm not saying it's unfair to Republicans or Democrats specifically, but it seems a little unfair to the PEOPLE in all the other counties. Mostly the same thing in IL. Appears to be the same thing in OH, FL, etc.

Now, I'm no expert, so I thought I'd ask all of you guys. My thought is this:
If a sort of electoral system was set for each state and the candidate won the college of the state, then ALL the state's electoral votes would go to that candidate in the national election. i.e. each county gets one over all vote, thus whomever carries the most counties would carry the state. Or a little different idea would be that major population centers would get 1 or 2 overall votes (just sticking in numbers here, no real science behind it) since they do have vastly larger populations than say a farming community. This would still permit a candidate to win even if he didn't carry the one population center of the state. i.e. PA where sKerry only won Philly. He would just have to carry more than one county to offset that urban area.

All thoughts are welcome here, I'm sort of just brainstorming. I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to that kind of system, but at the moment I'm thinking it sounds a little more fair. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see more states split their EC votes and states like Cali split into 3 states.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how it would have turned out if the Pres. were still chosen by congress.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wonder how it would have turned out if the Pres. were still chosen by congress.

Old Dan Blather was discussing that possibility last night. If the electoral college ends with a 269-269 tie, the house elects the president. Since the Republicans control the house, Bush would win.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top