Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2001 4:51:43 PM EDT
I just noticed that my (Bushmaster) A3 removable carry handle's sight is crooked!  I was getting ready to clean my CAV-15 after shooting it for the first time today.  First, the shooting was just off today.  I couldn't get the rifle to group worth a damm.  My best group was 3" at 50 yards![:(!]  I just chalked it up to a crappy day and decided to come home.  

As I was getting ready to clean the rifle I noticed something wrong with the rear sight.  It is crooked (counter clockwise) to the rest of the sight.  The sight isn't loose.  In fact I was wondering if the problem is that it might be too tight.  If it wasn't for the side of the sight with the windage knob hitting the right sight rail, it looks like the rear sight would spin off in a counter-clockwise position.

I know that a pic would help but I don't have a digital camera.  So, could this have caused bad grouping?  Also, how does one replace/fix a rear sight?  I bought this form Bushmaster for $80+ but it has been sitting around for several weeks until today.  I don't know if it came from Bushmaster in this condition or if it got bumped or whatever.

Anyway any help on replacing/repairing the sight would be appreciated.

Oh I almost forgot.  What would cause the bolt to hang up for a second or so before returning forward to cycle a new round into the chamber?  This was happening all day and was frustrating as hell!  Any thoughts on this would be great as well.

steve
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Your sight is perfectly normal.  All A2 sights do this to some degree or another.  As for the bolt thing...could be the bolt is having trouble stripping rounds from the magazine.  Make sure the feed lips aren't bent in too far.

Bradd
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually the bolt will stay in the open position for a good full second or so before moving forward towards the new round.  It also kept closing on an empty mag (not holding open) with both USGI mags ang orlites.

I am glad there is nothing wrong with the sight...even if it does look crappy.

As for the crappy shooting, well it must have just been me today.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would probably take a hammer to it. That shoud fix both the sight being crooked and it will also help you close the bolt. Don't use one of those little wimpy nail pulling hammers either, use one of the big round headed hammers that looks like a keg on a stick. Also, gentleness is for wimps so when you go to whack it take some serious cuts. Then you can use black fingernail polish to fix up any marring or scratches that may occur during the repair.

Post a pic when you get it all fixed!

Michael
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good mike but would you mind if I try with yours first?  I mean, just so I get it right and everything.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds good mike but would you mind if I try with yours first?  I mean, just so I get it right and everything.[;)]
View Quote

Sorry, but Ive already did it to my original Colt factory M16. It turned out beautifully.
The black fingernail polish really did the trick. Trust me, it is the only way to fix it
correctly. Would I lie to you?

Michael
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...best group was 3" at 50 yards!  
I just chalked it up to a crappy day and decided to come home.  
So, could this have caused bad grouping?  
View Quote

More info needed:

3" at 50 yards?

That's a "bad grouping"?

11.5/14.5" (REAL) barrel?

You're kidding right?

How good did this thing do before the [b]bad[/b] sights?

Wana sell it?

Just phukin with you, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your gun.
If you're getting 3" out of an unfamiliar sight/rifle combo, it'll tighten up more.

Like GarryOwen says "Use it - use it hard!".

[i]Just not so much coffee next time.[/i]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
if your mags are good and you are using factory ball ammo you have a gas system problem. clean
your gun take bolt apart and check rings apply
breakfree clp and shoot.if this does not help
find a local armoror/gunsmith
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if your mags are good and you are using factory ball ammo you have a gas system problem. clean
your gun take bolt apart and check rings apply
breakfree clp and shoot.if this does not help
find a local armoror/gunsmith
View Quote

I dont really see how this could be a gas problem. If I understand the post correctly the bolt is getting stuck in the retracted position. If this is the case then the gas system is doing its job perfectly to get the bolt in that position in the first place.

Personally I think that you need to lube it more. I have had a similar thing happen when I pulled a gun out of the safe and took it to the range without checking it out first. It was doing almost the same thing until I dumped a bunch of CLP on the bolt and carrier and then it worked perfectly. Any yes the bolt was closing when it wasn't supposed to as well. Just try it, but only after you try the hammer thing of course.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
ponyboy
one symptom described was failure of the bolt to stay back after the last shot. shortcycle?
my limited experience with m1,m1a,ar15 would
look where i said.and the bolt being part of
the gas system must not bind in the stock tube
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Irish: "one symptom described was failure of the bolt to stay back after the last shot. shortcycle?"

I know what you mean Irish (& I know it sounds like the carrier is hanging up), but I doubt it.  There's really not that much it can be, but if the problem is real -- the buffer is rubbing the tube near the back end. The buffer tube could be OC, or it could be dented -- either one would explain the hang-up, AND what [u]seems[/u] like short stroking at first.

mtnpatriot, take that buffer out, & peek in there -- see any rub marks on one side? If not, do you know how to remove the stock to examine the outside of the tube?
If this is a new gun, clean out the tube (it's probably dry though), & slop a little CLP in there, from your describtion it sounds like it'll wear in just fine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh I almost forgot.  What would cause the bolt to hang up for a second or so before returning forward to cycle a new round into the chamber?  This was happening all day and was frustrating as hell!  Any thoughts on this would be great as well.

steve
View Quote

This can happen with a full mag and lack of lube. Try relubing the gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the advice.  When I get home tonight, I'll take a look at the buffertube and if everything looks allright I'll give it a shot of CLP.  I can't take the stock "off" becaause it is a CAV-15 (stock molded into lower).  I'm going to take it out again this week and next week and put some more rounds through it.  If I still have problems after that I'll post again.

steve
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#16]
mtnpatriot.....
The crooked site annoyed the hell out of me. This is what I did.
When you take the site apart, you notice the little detent spring and ball in the vertical face of of the site.This is what makes the site sit crooked........it pushes(rotates) the site and if you have a big gap with the vertical face of the handle it will always be crooked.
I took another detent spring and ball and drilled a matching hole on the other side of the site with a drill press. Go slow. Depth is critical. Better to be shallow than too deep. Now you will have equal pressure on both sides of the site and it will sit correctly. It worked for me. I hate crooked.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesnt the little ball and spring that pushes the rear-sight assembly away from the carry handle on one side serve some purpose?

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#18]
as far as I can tell its just to keep the site from wobbling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top