Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 1:02:44 PM EDT
The blog the Milw. Journal-Sentinel Online has been running today really is excellent.  Usually the paper is for shit - but today, to give them a fair shake, they're not too bad.

One story:

TUESDAY, Nov. 2, 2004, 3:30 p.m.

'I am not going to let this stop me'

Lorie McDonald and Laura Taylor walked in to the Milwaukee Urban League headquarters at 2800 W. Wright St. determined to vote President Bush out of office. Instead, they found themselves challenged by a poll worker for identification.

Each of them had brought documents, but they weren't the type needed for same-day registration. They live with McDonald's sister, so all the utility bills are in her name. They were about to leave. Instead, they got angry. A lawyer for the Kerry campaign, Teig Whaley-Smith, intervened on their behalf. At times with a cell phone at each ear, he put in calls to election officials and was finally told: the documents they have won't do.

"I am not going to let this stop me," said McDonald, 28, who was voting for the first time. Taylor, 40, a former felon who is now eligible to vote, also stood her ground: "We've got until 8 o'clock. I'm going to find someone who will let me vote."

Still simmering, they were asked if another eligible voter could vouch for their identity, as allowed by election law. Shortly after that, McDonald's sister, Coriena Turner, 29, happened to walk in to vote. She vouched for their identity and residence, and all three cast their votes. When asked by JS reporter Nahal Toosi who she voted for,
Turner said: "George Bush."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top