Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 12:54:25 PM EDT
FromFox News...www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137310,00.html

Stickup Man Smacked Down by Customers
Tuesday, November 02, 2004

An alleged restaurant holdup man found tougher customers than he'd bargained for, according to police in Vancouver, Wash.

Russell R. Rogers, 64, walked into Elmer's Restaurant (search) in the Portland, Ore., suburb at about 2 p.m. Oct. 24, brandishing a gun and demanding money, customers and staffers told the Longview, Wash., Daily News.

Enjoying a late Sunday brunch at the restaurant were "extreme fighting" pro Benji Radach (search), 25, and his sparring partners, Dennis Hallman, 28, along with two women.

As other customers ducked under tables or ran out the doors, and the cashier started to hand over money, Radach and Hallman snuck up behind Rogers.

"I kind of went over it in my mind, and walked over there," Radach told the newspaper.

Rogers looked to his left and shouted out that he had a gun. Radach came up behind on the right, grabbed Rogers with a wrist lock and got the pistol out of the gunman's hand.

Radach then forced Rogers' hands back behind him and pushed him face-first to the ground as Hallman frisked him for more weapons. Radach then knocked Rogers out with a blow to the head.

Police booked Rogers for first-degree robbery.

"You see it in movies and you go over it in your mind," Radach later said, "but you never deal with it in real life."

Radach is an expert in Pankration (search), an ancient Greek combination of boxing, kickboxing and wrestling. Also known as "The Razor," he has a 23-3 record in freestyle wrestling and Ultimate Fighting.

"I just know that I've been training for a long time and more than most people," said the 6-foot, 185-pound Radach. "Especially more than someone who's a crook and probably doesn't train."

He later admitted that his decision to take on an armed man was kind of "stupid."

"All he had to do was to turn to his right and he could have shot me," Radach told the Daily News. "But for some reason I felt I could do it. I saw the way [he was looking] and I felt that if I could just get his gun, I could get him to the ground."

His father agreed.

"I should be proud, but the things that goes through a parent's mind," said Kim Radach. "That guy could have turned around and [Benji] could have been bleeding or dead on the ground."

Lorrie Whitlow, the restaurant manager, said the heroes' brunch was on the house, but also had her doubts about future customer heroics.

"I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that," Whitlow said. "But this time, it was a positive result."

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
FromFox News...www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137310,00.html

Stickup Man Smacked Down by Customers
Tuesday, November 02, 2004

An alleged restaurant holdup man found tougher customers than he'd bargained for, according to police in Vancouver, Wash.

Russell R. Rogers, 64, walked into Elmer's Restaurant (search) in the Portland, Ore., suburb at about 2 p.m. Oct. 24, brandishing a gun and demanding money, customers and staffers told the Longview, Wash., Daily News.

Enjoying a late Sunday brunch at the restaurant were "extreme fighting" pro Benji Radach (search), 25, and his sparring partners, Dennis Hallman, 28, along with two women.

As other customers ducked under tables or ran out the doors, and the cashier started to hand over money, Radach and Hallman snuck up behind Rogers.

"I kind of went over it in my mind, and walked over there," Radach told the newspaper.

Rogers looked to his left and shouted out that he had a gun. Radach came up behind on the right, grabbed Rogers with a wrist lock and got the pistol out of the gunman's hand.

Radach then forced Rogers' hands back behind him and pushed him face-first to the ground as Hallman frisked him for more weapons. Radach then knocked Rogers out with a blow to the head.

Police booked Rogers for first-degree robbery.

"You see it in movies and you go over it in your mind," Radach later said, "but you never deal with it in real life."

Radach is an expert in Pankration (search), an ancient Greek combination of boxing, kickboxing and wrestling. Also known as "The Razor," he has a 23-3 record in freestyle wrestling and Ultimate Fighting.

"I just know that I've been training for a long time and more than most people," said the 6-foot, 185-pound Radach. "Especially more than someone who's a crook and probably doesn't train."

He later admitted that his decision to take on an armed man was kind of "stupid."

"All he had to do was to turn to his right and he could have shot me," Radach told the Daily News. "But for some reason I felt I could do it. I saw the way [he was looking] and I felt that if I could just get his gun, I could get him to the ground."

His father agreed.

"I should be proud, but the things that goes through a parent's mind," said Kim Radach. "That guy could have turned around and [Benji] could have been bleeding or dead on the ground."

Lorrie Whitlow, the restaurant manager, said the heroes' brunch was on the house, but also had her doubts about future customer heroics.

"I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that," Whitlow said. "But this time, it was a positive result."

Generally it is when the victims fight back.  The thugs only want the money...  They won't hurt anyone...

Yeah right.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]

When you're lucky, shit'll do for brains.

Sly <------- Not Lucky. (Always armed)
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree to a point. If they wanted to kill you they would do it first, then take the money. If any of you ( and there are many here) who know of and understand the concept of the reactive gap (NO! we'ere not going BOTD here!), you understand that you litereally have a split second to get the upper hand. So you have to make up your mind and train to fight back long before an 'encounter' ever happens. Most of us will never face such an occurance, but you have to know what to do and when to do it well in advance.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
baaaaaaaadddd.

baaaaaaaaadddd

baaaaaaaaaaddd

you are safer hiding with the flock
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have to agree to a point. If they wanted to kill you they would do it first, then take the money. If any of you ( and there are many here) who know of and understand the concept of the reactive gap (NO! we'ere not going BOTD here!), you understand that you litereally have a split second to get the upper hand. So you have to make up your mind and train to fight back long before an 'encounter' ever happens. Most of us will never face such an occurance, but you have to know what to do and when to do it well in advance.

that's a good thought.

but i would have shot him from my seat.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's a good thought.

but i would have shot him from my seat.

+1 Shot placement!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top