Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 12:49:54 PM EDT
I read the transcript from the latest OBL tape here: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6387378/

I read the part where he's saying his tactic is to bleed America dry (financially) and I got to thinking that it's a viable vulnerability we have. We are spending obscene amounts of money fighting this war (not to downplay the great things that our soldiers are doing, God bless them) and there doesnt seem to be an end in sight.
I'm not trolling or looking for a flame-war, but why should I not be concerned about this?
Not to say that this has had any impact on the way I'm voting, but it throws up a red flag in my mind.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that's bullshit.  We won the cold war didn't we?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, don't worry about it.

Basically he reiterated what terrorism is, and what it does.

There was another thread on this yesterday... here

Basically, just live your life in a post 9/11/01, always aware, way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much. Vietnam and the cold war all cost the US hundreds of billion a year. Most of the military budget in those years was strickly for the cold war. How many missles do you need? Enough to survive a first strike, so we build more. The cuts to the budget so people get tax breaks, and still attempt to balance it.
Just by cold war standards, it didn't and wasn't close to bleeding us dry. If he wants we can support this money wise for at least another 50 years.
But as games teach us, it is cheaper to nuke the place then send in soldiers. Hopefully we realize this soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
He's going to die soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Its up to Americans. Take a look at your neighbors,colleagues and the people you see every day in their cars and at the stores, etc. Whether ubl has any sway is up to them... What's your confidence in your fellow citizens? Tonight's election results may help you answer.

A weak or fearful society will be affected. A strong one will kill the bad guys and move on.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
it's bullshit... we outspent the the Soviet Union into ch. 11.. he's nuts....

DoD spending including Homeland Security, as a % of the total budget, is less today than it was throughout the 1980s. And today, economic growth is faster, and tax revenues are more rebust.

Sources coming...

www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/pdf/hist.pdf  

see page 27: deficits as % of GDP
and page 49 bottom sections showing spending by category as % of total budget and GDP.

Be sure to compare the trends over the last 60 years.

I think most of you will find this data eye-opening.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The man has no grasp of economics.

Iraq war will cost about 1% of our budget.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
he is not us, and we are not the soviet union....
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
We have COUNTIES with more net worth then entire COUNTRIES that are OBL friendly.
Saying he can bleed us dry is like saying Einstein would struggle through Algebra 101.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
No doubt we have the $$$, but what ubl understands is that our economy is based on 'consumer confidence'. Whether we lose our confidence is largely up to us.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think that's bullshit.  We won the cold war didn't we?

<-------- +1!

CW
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, it's pretty much what Kerry's Economics Policy will do to us as well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]

With four more years and no concern about re-election, Bush will show OBL the meaning of the phrase "Bleed Dry".

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I spoke of this weeks ago ---

it will hurt us  - he is hated

not stupid.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No doubt we have the $$$, but what ubl understands is that our economy is based on 'consumer confidence'. Whether we lose our confidence is largely up to us.

Actually, our economy is based on market forces... in the case of declining consumer confidence, resulting in lower demand for goods and services, prices will decrease. As prices decrease, consumers and investors would reconsider buying and investment decisions, eventually increasing demand, driving prices back up.

Another point. Bin Laden's view (and that of much of the rest of the world's) is that defense spending is a 100% sunk cost. That simply is not the case. Because the core of our military manufacturing base is owned by the private sector (shareholders like you and me).. much of the money spent on weapons and people flows back to the private economy. One step further (even better) is the fact that there is competition between our contractors, usually. And these contractors, whether sole sourced or competetivley sourced, make their investment and production decisions, for the most part, independent of Gov't influence...i.e., Boeng is free to try to sell the Gov't a crappy weapon system.. if Gov't doesnt like it, Lockheed Martin would be happy to give it try.

This only exists in the US.

God Bless America.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Typical middle eastern flowery rhetoric/babble.

Anyone who believes it is gullible enough to vote for Skerry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

God Bless America.

God Bless America

I ignored the reference in the original post to military spending: the idea that DoD spending will bring us down is just BS. Where defense is concerned the USA can outspend everyone. Fact.

If walmart and the malls are empty for extended periods we tank. We are strong on services and retail. If our enemy weren't so inept we'd all be in trouble by now

Trivia: what did Bush ask everyone to do after 9/11? He wasn't just being nice by asking you to go to the mall. He meant it...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God Bless America.

God Bless America

I ignored the reference in the original post to military spending: the idea that DoD spending will bring us down is just BS. Where defense is concerned the USA can outspend everyone. Fact.

If walmart and the malls are empty for extended periods we tank. We are strong on services and retail. If our enemy weren't so inept we'd all be in trouble by now

Trivia: what did Bush ask everyone to do after 9/11? He wasn't just being nice by asking you to go to the mall. He meant it...

I think a good historical reference is the WWII... consumption and supply of consumer goods and services dropped significantly. Most economic activity revolved around the war effort... and it was our private system of free enterprise that permitted the country to function economically and bounce back, even before the War ended.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I think he's refering to helping Kerry get elected and then watching as Kerrys economic and social programs bleed us all dry - financially speaking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm surprised we haven't paraded him out yet. I was convinced he was our "October Surprise."

Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think he's refering to helping Kerry get elected and then watching as Kerrys economic and social programs bleed us all dry - financially speaking.

Damn good point there!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think a good historical reference is the WWII... consumption and supply of consumer goods and services dropped significantly. Most economic activity revolved around the war effort... and it was our private system of free enterprise that permitted the country to function economically and bounce back, even before the War ended.

That is a good comparison.

Now if we are all sure that Americans would all 'suck it up' the way my parent's and grandparent's generation did we'd be in good shape. Dad was just talking about gas rations the other day. Glad we haven't had to do it yet. Can you picture inner-city contributions to the war effort today? Worries me just a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top