Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 6:32:02 AM EDT
When my son was only 4 1/2 he wanted to watch Bambi.  As a good father I decided to watch it with him, and at one point he turned and asked me "Daddy, why did the hunter shoot Bambi's Momma?"  

Without blinking I matter of factly replied  "Because she was in range."

Satisfied with that answer, he just turned and finished watching the movie, going "Bang! Bang!" any time Bambi's dad showed up.  It was a very proud moment for this Dad.

Just wanted to share.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When my son was only 4 1/2 he wanted to watch Bambi.  As a good father I decided to watch it with him, and at one point he turned and asked me "Daddy, why did the hunter shoot Bambi's Momma?"  

Satisfied with that answer, he just turned and finished watching the movie, going "Bang! Bang!" any time Bambi's dad showed up.  It was a very proud moment for this Dad.

Just wanted to share.

THAT'S funny!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
are you a PETA troll
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It was her own fault fer being so damn tasty!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are you exposing him to Walt Disney's communist propoganda?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Good answer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bambi's mother was shot?

Doe season, huh?

Eric The(Clueless)Hun

"Earn a buck" is in effect in some parts of WI.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Poor Bambi

Have you noticed the only Disney movie without a happy ending is Old Yeller?  They shoot the dog towards the end.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Most kids want to see Bambi at one point or another, so I figured I would watch it with him.  That way I could counter any propoganda the film showed.

And by the way, I'm no PETA troll.  I used to be a member here, about 3 years ago.  There was some flack about me making a comment reguarding "Steve" from Blue's Clues and how if you shoved a piece of Coal up his rear you would get a diamond shaped like a male anatomical part.  I didn't get banned, but I stoped comming here.  The passing of the Ban rekindled my interest.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

Have you noticed the only Disney movie without a happy ending is Old Yeller?  They shoot the dog towards the end.

I always watch 'A Christmas Carol' backwards so it has a happy ending.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

Have you noticed the only Disney movie without a happy ending is Old Yeller? They shoot the dog towards the end.

That's because a cop wrote it.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just wanted to share.

Great Answer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

Have you noticed the only Disney movie without a happy ending is Old Yeller? They shoot the dog towards the end.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]
If God didn't want us to eat deer, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Just wanted to share.

I believe a more involved, sensitive answer was called for at that pivotal moment in a young boy's developement.  You should have said "Tenderloin and backstraps, summer sausage, chili, jerky, corned venison roasted with onions and carrots."
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Psoas Major and Minor, Paraspinals.

MMMMMMMM, Tasty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wanted to share.

I believe a more involved, sensitive answer was called for at that pivotal moment in a young boy's developement.  You should have said "Tenderloin and backstraps, summer sausage, chili, jerky, corned venison roasted with onions and carrots."

Or just point out that, due to overpopulation, extra tags were given out that year.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#20]
That was a really good answer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#21]
That has got to be the best goddamned answer I have ever heard, your a goddamned genius --if it wouldnt be such a wast a damned fined enlisted man I would recommend you to OCS, your going to be a general saom day--now watch bambi again and continue,

--sgw
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Most kids want to see Bambi at one point or another, so I figured I would watch it with him.  That way I could counter any propoganda the film showed.

And by the way, I'm no PETA troll.  I used to be a member here, about 3 years ago.  There was some flack about me making a comment reguarding "Steve" from Blue's Clues and how if you shoved a piece of Coal up his rear you would get a diamond shaped like a male anatomical part.  I didn't get banned, but I stoped comming here.  The passing of the Ban rekindled my interest.

And that's funny too....
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#23]
far be it for me to tell someone how to do their job...but it seems to me like you missed a good opportunity to explain the hierarchy of things. personally i would have paused the tape and told him how bambi was killed to feed the hunters family and that all the meat he eats was once an animal. etc etc etc...

it was still pretty funny though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I just watch the Wild Kingdom with my children, then explain that is what happens in the real world. Animals kill/eat other animals for food, otherwise the predator would die from starvation. The TV-show shows dying & dead predators. I ask my children where does BBQ'd chickens come from? Hamburgers? Hot dogs?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#25]
It’s not about hierarchy or trying to make a statement about hunting.  
Bambi’s mom was shot when Bambi was a fawn with spots and in the spring time.
So the person who shot was a poacher.  It’s as simple as that.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#26]
hk940: Hmmm.... It's been awhile since I watched the movie. I'll have to try to find the tape from my video tape. But I thought the question was "why do hunters shoot the deer?"
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

i find that animated poachers do very little damage
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Nah, nusiance permit!
Bambi's mother was shot because she was a sapling nipping corn thief who deserved to die!
And because she was made of meat.
Nothing sickens me like city and suburban kid anthropomorphization of wildlife. Damn cartoon characters end up creating idiot PETA members.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#31]
i killed a big doe with a knight muzzleloader on saturday..my boy ( just turned 4) was down at the cabin and rushed over to see it..on the 4wheeler.

"daddy, thats a DOE.."
" i said your right.., what do you think about that"

he replied..
" do DOEs make good sausage"..

i said..
" yesss they do....son...."
he said
"Alright........" with a grin on his face.

btw...
i think i'll go strip rib meat ...for homemade italian sausage....
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#32]
It's a good thing the IT guys are replacing this computer today. But i still don't know how I'm going to explain the soda all over the monitor and keyboard. because she was in range
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I've never gone deer hunting; I don't have a problem with it, it's just never been my thing.  Well, my son asked me over dinner one day if I could take him deer hunting.  I gave him a look of mock-horror and said, "You mean you would want to shoot Bambi's mommy or daddy?"  He thought about this for a moment and replied, "Well, which one tastes better?"

I guess I'm taking him hunting next year.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

I'm gonna sound like a nutcase, but my wife and I CRACKED UP the last time we watched the end of Ol Yeller.

We had just watched a MAD TV episode that did a skit on it--huge geyser of blood spraying out when they shot the dog, and they showed it about 10 times throughout the program...it was all we could think about when the real movie came on later that night
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Daddy,why is that truck's hood all smashed up and leaking steam,and why is that trucker jumping up and down and mad looking?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

Police training video in TN now, it's required.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Poor Bambi

DOH!

You should have said "SPOILER ALERT."

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Just remember.....Bambi is a boys name.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Actually the deer was killed by a poacher.  But I think the film was placed in a psuedo-reniasance era where only the royalty were allowed to hunt, at least that's how I always interpretted it.  YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top