Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 8:14:34 PM EDT
I wonder how many of you have no idea idea what I'm talking about.

Is there any "penalty" for an elector to case a vote for a President/Vice President of his choice?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be political suicide for someone to do that.  They'd never get voted into another position of power, or at least, I'd hope not.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wonder how many of you have no idea idea what I'm talking about.

Is there any "penalty" for an elector to case a vote for a President/Vice President of his choice?

Their choice; hanging or firing squad. Actually I don't believe there is any. Kind of a scary thought, huh?

NMSight
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's tied 269-269 one of the electors from WV said he would not vote for Bush and leave his ballot blank.  

If he did this and Kerry wound up as Pres I would think he might have some big time issues to deal with back in WV.  I think he would have to go into a witness relocation program
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no penalty as far as I know. The US constitution doesn't even require that a state conduct a popular vote. It mandates that each state choose electors in a method prescribed by the state legislature.

The electors are also not obligated to vote for any specific cantidate. I believe that there is one Republican elector from Virginia who has sworn to vote for against Bush if he is sent.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
by law, they have to vote the way their state goes. No if or buts about it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe I heard that in the history of the electoral college, only 10 electors ever voted "opposite" than they were supposed to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It happens every few years that an elector goes the opposite way that the state goes . . . it has never been a critical vote.  But this was part of the point of the electoral college.  From what I understand the electors are appointed from each party.  Not voted in, or polled for.  Penalties?  Having to wear a bulletproof vest at all times and move your entire family into the Federal Witness Protection Program, maybe, especially if it is a Dem Elector voting Bush.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Its happened at least twice that I heard of. Both of those times, as far as I know, the elector gave his vote to the VP thus not giving it to the opponent but wasting it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
We'll have to keep an eye out for George Soros and his checkbook...see if any electors become instant paper millionaires...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
by law, they have to vote the way their state goes. No if or buts about it.

That is an "administrative control".  It only means they can be punished if they don't, but by then it's too late.  Yeah, AZ-K9, it's a scary system, especially now, when the dimocrats seem willing to do increasingly absurd things to gain power.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We'll have to keep an eye out for George Soros and his checkbook...see if any electors become instant paper millionaires...

I didn't think about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top