Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 6:50:19 PM EDT
Having a disscussion about PT in basic.

Do all recruits, regardless of age, have to meet the same requrements?

I'm entering the Navy and I know the PT requirements according to your age are different when you become active. So, do I have to meet the 18 year old requirement s in basic, or the 27 year old requirements?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Marines: Yes

Army: No

Navy & AF: Not Sure
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You are expected to keep up with everyone else during regular PT. For testing purposes, the standards regarding your age group would apply.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You are expected to keep up with everyone else during regular PT. For testing purposes, the standards regarding your age group would apply.

That's what I figured. A fellow elder recruit and I were disscussing the issue and some wording made us question the regimen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Marines: Yes

Keep up with everyone yes, But your age does play a role in a perfect pt score. for 27/28 *(not sure) 275 i think is a perfect pt score.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
What they said. Everybody pt's together, but for testing go by age groups. I will even go as far as giving you the requirments. Males 25 to 29:  1.5 mile run in 13:45 or 500 meter swim in 12:23,
47 situps, 38 pushups.        Females 25 to 29: 1.5 mile run in 15:45 or swim in 14:15, 47 situps and a whopping 15 pushups. These are the lowest scores you can get. If you fail any portion of the requirments you will be put on the (Fat boy or girl) program. This includes body fat measurements.
The first test you take in boot camp will show you where you stand and the second one counts. Congradulations on joining the Navy and military in general. Where men and women are considered equal, but not really. Once you see the rest of the pt requirments you will get what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info 223ordy.

I'm in pretty good shape, but it's still going to kick my arse.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Ignore the god-damned age standards, you should be shooting to max out under the 18-21 year old standards.  Minimum performance is for Air Force REMFs.

Passing the test is just not good enough.  You should be trying to max out YOU.  

All that is needed to get into BUD/S is about equivalent to passing the Army PT test for an 18 year old plus some swimming stuff and Airborne standards for pull ups.  But that won't get you selected for BUD/S, because there are 100 other guys out there who killed themselves to max out their scores doing closer to 100 push ups, and Sit Ups, 13 minute 2 miles runs and 20+ pull ups.   If you are merely aiming to pass the test, you aren't working hard enough.  Why?  Because there's all sorts of crap that can cut into your performance on the day, like a cold or allergies a couple bad nights sleep, etc.  Failing an event in the PT test can seriously screw you up.  You get singled out for more PT and more abuse.  So don't let it happen. Work your tail off before you join, especially work the abdominal exercises, because weak abs steal push-ups.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ignore the god-damned age standards, you should be shooting to max out under the 18-21 year old standards.  Minimum performance is for Air Force REMFs.

Passing the test is just not good enough.  You should be trying to max out YOU.  

PT is everything if you dont PT good you are labeled "SHITBAG" I was doing pretty good before I even joined so I never got any trouble from the drills but if you PT good and aren't a smart ass life will be alot easier for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top