Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 5:18:28 PM EDT
I watch that HBO special about the bounter hunters and his standard line seems to be "open the door or I'll knock it down" and when he gets in the house he starts manhandling people.

Is it legal for him to pull that crap?  If someone knocks on my door and starts talking that way because someone has "tipped" them a fugitive is in my house there is no way I'm gonna open the door and if he breaks down the door I'd wind up shooting him.

Is it legal for a bounty hunter to enter a private home?

What if he makes a mistake and goes to the wrong house?

Curious about this stuff and have no idea where to look for the info.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd light any fucking "Bail Enforcement Agent" up who presumed to stay on my property after I told him to leave, let alone kick my door down.  One of them lives down the block from me, and seems to make okay money.  He does think he can go anywhere he wants if he thinks someone is hiding, because he's not a cop.  I think he gets away with it because he primarily is beating in trailer doors looking for methheads and such, and they aren't normally inclined to call the cops.

I'd shoot their asses, myself.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
basically if you want a bail bond you sign your life over if you jump bail, so thats why bounty hunters can get away with some very shady stuff. But if they got the wrong house then they are asking to get shot, which has happened alot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If you think JBT are bad? Meet a boutny hunter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
But if one comes to your door and attempts to kick it in, they better have the right house or they are in a shit load of trouble. It happened near here and they got their asses handed to them by the court. The so-called hunters needed their own bondsman.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot with a husband and wife that run a bail bonds business - he hires extra large help when he needs to do a "recovery".  His wife is about a 9.8 (that would be an extremely hot 9.8), very nice, decent shotgunner, and from what I hear, she's fearless and can kick your ass at will.  [She also claims that she doesn't know if her house has a kitchen.]

The legalities are the same for all citizens, they just get away with indiscretion because they are mostly dealing with dirtbags.  How many people have you ever heard of that do a repeat business with a bail bondman?  These folks have "customers" with repeat business, and recommendations to their other scumbag aquaintances!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I shoot with a husband and wife that run a bail bonds business - he hires extra large help when he needs to do a "recovery".  His wife is about a 9.8 (that would be an extremely hot 9.8), very nice, decent shotgunner, and from what I hear, she's fearless and can kick your ass at will.  [She also claims that she doesn't know if her house has a kitchen.]

The legalities are the same for all citizens, they just get away with indiscretion because they are mostly dealing with dirtbags.  How many people have you ever heard of that do a repeat business with a bail bondman?  These folks have "customers" with repeat business, and recommendations to their other scumbag aquaintances!

That's what I thought.  What I'm getting at is, if some asshole shows up at my house and tries to kick the door in wearing tactical gear and all that shit they like to do, I'm going to scatter protoplasm all over the front yard and not worry a bit about it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Bounty Hunters that break the law attempting to recover their contract  assets at the wrong address are  legally liable for the damages and if they get ventilated, perforated, and punctuated by a person in the wrong house then they pay dearly for their mistake.

If their lawful prey is there, they pretty much can do just about anything.  If they make a mistake and their lawful prey isn't there, they can go to jail for a long long time if they survive.

But if you shoot one defending a perp, then you are going down hard.  In otherwords, if you have a bail jumper in your house, you better be willing to give him up because they can use whatever force is necessary to take him into custody and they can protect themselves.  In other words none of the normal defenses are available to you  that are otherwise available when protecting innocent people.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Bounty Hunters that break the law attempting to recover their contract  assets at the wrong address are  legally liable for the damages and if they get ventilated, perforated, and punctuated by a person in the wrong house then they pay dearly for their mistake.

If their lawful prey is there, they pretty much can do just about anything.  If they make a mistake and their lawful prey isn't there, they can go to jail for a long long time if they survive.

But if you shoot one defending a perp, then you are going down hard.  In otherwords, if you have a bail jumper in your house, you better be willing to give him up because they can use whatever force is necessary to take him into custody and they can protect themselves.  In other words none of the normal defenses are available to you  that are otherwise available when protecting innocent people.

I get questions about bounty hunters from time to time. I tell them basically the same thing. However, bounty hunters have a habit of entering a home to find no jumper. Then they proceed to intimidate the occupants as they try to extract information. Once they determine that the jumper isn't there, they must leave upon request. Any threats or intimidation tactics are illegal. If bounty hunters show up, I advise people to call the Cops as soon as practical. We will handle them
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes they have an open warrent to take you anywhere they find you!  You gave up any rights you may have had when you jumped bond!    And they get a percentage of it for your capture!

50,000 bond they might get ten precent!

My Nephew does this for a living,he caught some guy in Kansas and the BG got to a phone called the police told them he was being kidnapped!

The police came arrested my nephew let the guy go,they had to catch him all over again!

Not as glamorous as on TV!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top