Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 9:31:35 AM EDT
There have been what look like fruit flies in my apartment for about a week and a half. At first I could understand why because we had some messy guests one weekend and hadn't taken the trash out when we should have. But that's all taken care of. The house is clean. BUT, there are still mother fucking flies! they're really pissing me off. I want to declare war on them but I have no weapons, strategy, or experience doing so. What do I need to do? I want to fight these bastards cheaply.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a shower?    j/k
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
don't forget the ladybugs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
1.  Empty all wastebaskets and make sure there are no fruit rinds laying around.

2.  Check your fresh fruit and wash it thoroughly.  If it is over ripe, toss it.

3.  Use RAID.  Anywhere you seem to notice the flies.  Usually they seem to be worse in one area over another.  Get them with chemicals.  Go shooting for a few hours while the fog clears.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Use oil cooking spray instead of raid directly on the flying creatures. It's the oil that suffocates insects as it clogs their spiracles. No poisons left to attack you or your food.

Fruit flies do not like the smell of Bounce laundry softener sheets. A few well placed sheets will keep them away.

They have a short life span (IIRC a few days) so the problem will go away after you clear all the fruit in the house.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have houseplants?  They may be 'fungus gnats'.  

But...check for leavings of sloppy house guests first :)

Gwen
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1.  Empty all wastebaskets and make sure there are no fruit rinds laying around.

2.  Check your fresh fruit and wash it thoroughly.  If it is over ripe, toss it.

3.  Use RAID.  Anywhere you seem to notice the flies.  Usually they seem to be worse in one area over another.  Get them with chemicals.  Go shooting for a few hours while the fog clears.

And add the quickest solution.

FLY PAPER.

Old time but still works like a champ with no chemicals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top