Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 9:00:36 AM EDT
There was an airshow awhile back and for PR reasons they wanted to take a few local leaders and what not up in some planes. My dad is a journalist so he got the nod. They took him up in an F16! He said they flew out over the gulf and while out there the pilot did a couple of rolls and zero-g stuff. The crazy part is that the pilot told my dad that they had just burned something like $150,000 worth of fuel (i think that was close to what he said). Thanks American tax payer. The best part is they had a cockpit video. My dad threw up twice right after rolling. He said the pilot told him to make sure not to pull the ejection ring (i can't believe they left it active). Can you imagine if he had panicked or something and dumped that expensive plane?! He kept is hands as far away from that thing as possible. They even stencilled (sp?) his name next to the cockpit (temporarily of course). I didn't know there was a 2 seater f16. Anyone know if this was a Navy or AF jet. I assume it was AF cuz they took off from land. I really don't know much about jets.

EDIT: OK I've been informed jet fuel isn't that much. subtract a zero. Still a lot of money for the gov to spend on bringing a civilian into the sky for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
F-16 ia AF. F-16D is the two seat version. It's also against safety regs to disable an ejection handle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I didn't know there was a 2 seater f16. Anyone know if this was a Navy or AF jet. I assume it was AF cuz they took off from land. I really don't know much about jets.

The AF is the only branch that has the F-16, and they use 2 seaters as trainers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He said the pilot told him to make sure not to pull the ejection ring (i can't believe they left it active). Can you imagine if he had panicked or something and dumped that expensive plane?! He kept is hands as far away from that thing as possible.

Okay, who's got that Tomcat pic?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He said the pilot told him to make sure not to pull the ejection ring (i can't believe they left it active). Can you imagine if he had panicked or something and dumped that expensive plane?! He kept is hands as far away from that thing as possible.

what's the tomcat pic
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Jet A is running about $3.15 a gallon and I believe the F-16 holds about 1000 gallons internally.  Maybe burned 1500.00 dollars of Jet-A or JP-8.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's the tomcat pic

I'm looking for it. FOUND!
s96920072.onlinehome.us/Stories1/001-100/0014_F-14_Convertible/story0014.htm

Basically, they took a surface guy up in an F-14. The pilot started doing aerobatics and Mr. Ship Driver decided to use the ejection ring as a handhold.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds cool! In my dreams. Local kid flew the 2-seater F16 home one summmer day and gave someone a ride. Too bad it wasn't me.

Also, it ain't cheap to fuel an F16, but it doesn't cost 150K. Jet fuel is measured in pounds per hour of fuel flow. Most fighters are turbojets and burn more fuel than turbofans. Plus, they probably stayed low in altitude where fuel burn is high. But... even with all of that, let's just say that they were burning something around 1200lbs of fuel perhour on their joyride. And say that it lasted an hour. At roughly $2-3 a gallon for JP or Jet-A fuel (dunno the current price and what JP rating they fuel the F16 with), you're looking at roughly $2500 to 4000 worth of gas there. Even $15,000 would be damn high for all but a long trip (and that would require arial refueling).
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jet A is running about $3.15 a gallon and I believe the F-16 holds about 1000 gallons internally.  Maybe burned 1500.00 dollars of Jet-A or JP-8.

Where in the USA are they paying over $3 a gallon for jet fuel?!! We are still under $3 a gallon for 100LL! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't have the picture of the plane in front of me so i don't know if it was carrying an external fuel pod. What do those hold anyway?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's the tomcat pic

Pics of a F-14 after the guy in the rear (surface fleet guy) punched out  after pullling the ejection ring on a ride.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Basically, they took a surface guy up in an F-14. The pilot started doing aerobatics and Mr. Ship Driver decided to use the ejection ring as a handhold.

The pilot landed the aircraft apparently.

What's a "surface guy?"

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a "surface guy?"

I could've sworn I put the word "ship" after "surface" and before "guy". Oops.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's the tomcat pic

Pics of a F-14 after the guy in the rear (surface fleet guy) punched out  after pullling the ejection ring on a ride.

so the guy ejected but the pilot still landed the plane? I thought both seat would eject b/c they are under the same canopy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a "surface guy?"

Non-Aviation type

Fleet  bound
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#15]
HOLY Shit! Can you imagine what that guys reaction must have been when he shot out of the cockpit. F-ing hilarious! Did he come down safely with a parachute?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Motown-steve.

do some fact cheking before you pretend to know what youre talking about. the Navy operates F-16N models as an aggressor for training pilots. they have some subtle aerodynamic changes to simulate the handling characteristics of other airplanes. the most notable visual cue is the dorsal spine that runs from the canopy to the vertical tail.

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/genedyna/f-16n.htm

scroll down for photographic proof.

i have a close friend who would be very hurt to learn that his "office" doesnt exist
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
USN has only 14 F-16A & B models.  These were aircraft that were originally going to Pakistan but the deal was frozen.  The F-16Ns have been mothballed.  Motown Steve was substantially correct when he said the Navy doesn't operate F-16s.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
so the guy ejected but the pilot still landed the plane? I thought both seat would eject b/c they are under the same canopy.

There is a selector valve in the back seat.  In the AF, it's called the "Ejection Command Selector Valve."  (The Navy's is probably called "Starboard Mizzenmast head regulator Jib.")  Turn it one way, and the backseater can only eject himself.  Turn it the other way, and the backseat can eject himself and the front seater.  One position is good for incentive rides (like your dad's), or people you don't want to have control of the ejection sequence.  The other position is good for more experienced backseat occupants, who you might want to be able to command ejection in case of impending impact, bird strike disabling the frontseater, etc.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's the tomcat pic

I'm looking for it. FOUND!
s96920072.onlinehome.us/Stories1/001-100/0014_F-14_Convertible/story0014.htm
s96920072.onlinehome.us/Stories1/001-100/0014_F-14_Convertible/01.jpg

"Hey, can you roll the windows down?  It's getting kind of stuffy back here.  Never mind, I found ittttttttttttttttttttttt!

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a "surface guy?"

Non-Aviation type

Fleet  bound

Basically the other Navy, lol!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top