Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 6:52:52 AM EDT
I have an Alpine CD Changer in my truck. The player has given me reliable service since 1996, and I've had it serviced pro-actively once (back in 2000 or so).

The problem is it skips or sounds very static-filled when it plays some CD/R's I've made. Not always in the same place, and normally on the last half of the disc.

It plays regular CD's just fine, and so far the CD/R's are playing perfectly on my PC.

So, are older CD players picky, or is my player in need of service again?

Thanks!

<Zaphod desperately tries to keep his mind off the election!!!!!>
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Although Alpine is a very big name in terms of quality,  that's always been my impression regarding older CD players.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a panasonic "discman" type player that I bought in 1994 ... still works and plays cd-r just fine.

I've seen some car stereos that wouldn't play them though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, oh..... One of them just went nutso on the PC.....

Damn. I hope my music collection isn't ruined. I have a lot of $$$ tied up in these copies....

DAMN! Looks like at least one disc is bad!

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
there was a time when CDR's became available for computers, and people started copying their own music, that alot of the car cd players at the time wouldn't play them. Sony was one of the first car cd players to play Cdr.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes they are, You might wanna look into a new system! Prices are nowhere what they were when you bought the system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I found that when the burnable cd's first came out and I was recording stuff that a lot of cd players I used were picky about the cd's.  Some brands worked and some didn't.  Some did the exact same problem yours is doing and some wouldnt play at all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
They can be finicky with CDRs. Some older boomboxes are this way too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Oftentimes, players that aren't so hot at reading CDRs will read CDRWs or vice versa.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a 1995 Alpine that wouldn't play CD-Rs very well.  Like you said, problems cropped up on the last half of the disc.  I found that if I limited my disc to 50 minutes or so, there were fewer problems.

I now have a 1998 OEM Chrysler CD player in my 1998 JGC 5.9, and it has difficulty with them as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I guess time will tell. I may become a downloading fool and upgrade my system to an MP3-capable system. We'll see. It's all a function of $$$.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I think it really depends on the individual unit.

I have a cheap, bottom-of-the-line portable Sony Discman (purchased 1994) that plays CDRs without a hitch.

I have a (at the time of release, state-of-the-art) Sony 200-disc DVD player that will not.

Go figure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top