Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 6:37:01 AM EDT
I am toying with the idea of taking a week off sometime this spring and going to Germany.
Specifically Bavaria.  Some things I want to do are go to a beer garden.  Listen to traditional music, visit a medieval castle or two.  See the countryside.  You know relax and hang out.  I was born in Germany (my dad was in the air force) we moved back when I was 5 months old.  

So I am looking for ideas of things to see.
Can anyone recommend a good guidebook?  
How much German do I need to know?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My favorite area is the Rhineland. The Eifel mountains, Rhine and Mosel valleys,etc make this a really beautiful place. Lots of castles, wine growing,cool villages and beer,beer,beer.

While your there, rent a car and go run the Nordschleife (Nurburgring).

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Go East to Hessan! Now that's the place to be!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I did not like Frankfurt,  Munich was the cats ass. I loved it there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am toying with the idea of taking a week off sometime this spring and going to Germany.
Specifically Bavaria.  Some things I want to do are go to a beer garden.  Listen to traditional music, visit a medieval castle or two.  See the countryside.  You know relax and hang out.  I was born in Germany (my dad was in the air force) we moved back when I was 5 months old.  

So I am looking for ideas of things to see.
Can anyone recommend a good guidebook?  
How much German do I need to know?

thanks

When I was there in 1987 (as a teenager), I found that most people under 40 speak passable English.  Those few who don't (I met one in the village of Sasbachwalden in the Black Forest) are usually willing to help if you know a few words and are polite.  But you don't need to scream at them.  

Lessee...Bavaria (gotta look on some maps)...Munich.
I hear there's good beer there, so the Biergarten is covered.  That should do the "traditional music" part, too - though a LOT of classical music is German (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart was Austrian, etc. etc. etc.).
Neuschwanstein will cover the medieval castle, and I'm sure there are others in the guidebooks.

You'll be pretty close to the Austrian border, so that opens some things up.  And if you're close to Austria, you're close to Switzerland and northern Italy.

I'd suggest buying several guidebooks.  For what a European vacation costs, a few dollars for guidebooks is nothing.

The most important phrase you MUST know in Germany:

Ein Bier, bitte.
Pronounced:  I'n [long "i") beer, bittuh.
Means: One beer, please.

Other important phrases:
W.C. Herren, bitte.
Pronounced: Vay say hair-un, bittuh.  (Danke, fike.)
Means: Where is the Men's Room?

Nicht sprechen nie Deutsch.
Pronounced: nick'd sprecken nee Doych.
Means: I don't speak German.

Sprechen sie Englisch?
Pronounced: Sprecken zee English?
Means: (IBT Samuel L. Jackson) Do you speak English?

Danke (schoen).
Pronounced: Donkuh (shane).  (Well, sort of.)
Means:  Thank you (very much).

Bitte (schoen):
Pronounced:  Bittuh (shane).  (Sort of.)
Means:  Please and Thank You (very much).

My hovercraft is full of eels.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Dachau (or any of the concentration camps that are still satnding).
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Dresden (the portion that has been re-built) is nice. Saxon Castle and they have a nice weapons museum.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Other important phrases:
W.C. Herren, bitte.
Pronounced: Double-you see  hair-un, bittuh.
Means: Where is the Men's Room

It's pronounced "Vay-say"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Other important phrases:
W.C. Herren, bitte.
Pronounced: Double-you see  hair-un, bittuh.
Means: Where is the Men's Room

It's pronounced "Vay-say"

Thanks.  (We were told that folks understand the English pronunciation also.  As you can see, I don't use it much.  )
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I lived in the Kaiserslautern area for 3 years (dad was stationed at Sembach AB).

The Rhine area is very nice, lots of castles, glass factories, and other assorted goodness.  If you are in the service I think you can book cruises down the Rhine with castle tours and wine tasting  through some local companies that offer discounts to American service folks

If you're looking to go fishing then the Traun river is good (can't remember the exact location in Bavaria)

Trier (eastern Rhinenald)is nice, ancient Roman ruins through the city.

The Munich area is very cool, lots to do, with day trips to Ulm (tallest Gothic Cathedreal in the world) and Neuschwenstein/Howenschwangau Castles (the most photographed castle in Germany, think Disney)

Berlin is also nice (aside from the people) with the old bombed church downtown, the huge Russian WW2 cemetary (very moving) in the old eastern side.

There is lots to see overthere, and aside from the 50% of the populace that didn't like Americans it really is a nice country.

Additionally most folks in the larger cities speak english (some better than some urban Americans)

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Rotenburg-Ob-der-Tauber:

Best preserved Medeival City in Europe.  Walled City.  Very Cool.

We stayed at a great little hotel. for about $50 per night.:
Pension Kreuzerhof
Tel 09861/3424
run by the Kittlitz family
Very clean and a great breakfast included.  50 yards from 1000 yr old walls.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Mittinwald and Garmisch on Austrian border are beautiful Alps cities.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Spent total of 9 years in Germany.  Loved being stationed down in Bad Tolz (south of Munich on Austrian border) (our kaserne was the old SS officer school).  Munich is great with a 500 year old beer hall downtown.  To the southwest you have Garmish with the Zugspitz (highest German mtn) there is also another smaller King Ludwigs palace there just north of Garmish-Par.  To the the southeast you have Berchesgarten with Hitlers eagle's nest up in the mountain top.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Ich haben einem pottwall inen meinem hosen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]
anywhere that sells beer and sausages.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Hoffbrau Haus in Munich.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
See any one of the concentration camps.  You don't need to see more than one.  Skip Berlin, nothing much to see except a smaller New York, and maybe some bullet holes in building in the older areas of Berlin.

Spend your time in Southern Germany.  Hang out in Munich for a couple of days, there is a LOT to see in the Marienplatz.  Make sure to get drunk in the Hoffbrau Haus, but not upstairs.  That's where the Japanese tourists hang out.  Grab a table with some locals and play drinking games with them.

Visit Neuschwantstein.  The tour is over priced, but worth it.  Do NOT hire the horse & buggy to take you up the hill, take the walk.

In short, do all the touristy stuff in Germany.  All the touristy stuff is actually pretty cool there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#17]
My brother just returned from visiting his son in Germany.  I asked him what he thought of the place.  He said that it was a good place to keep the Germans.  In general, he said that he didn't see many smiling faces.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Take a trip to Oberndorf and visit HK!  There is also a museum of firearms and war that has lots of guns in it

Happy vacationing.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Most of the people there will speak english.  If you're going to Bayern you can see the world's largest cuckoo clock in the black forest, the black forest, neuschwanstein which is a really really nifty castle, but nothing's out of reach considering it's only a 1 1/2 hr train ride to almost anywhere you could dream of going on the fast train.  Just do me one favor while you're there....  eat a Rindswurst with curry ketchup and remind me how good they were.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Most of the people there will speak english.  If you're going to Bayern you can see the world's largest cuckoo clock in the black forest, the black forest, neuschwanstein which is a really really nifty castle, but nothing's out of reach considering it's only a 1 1/2 hr train ride to almost anywhere you could dream of going on the fast train.  Just do me one favor while you're there....  eat a Rindswurst with curry ketchup and remind me how good they were.

The Black Forest is not in Bayern...it is in Baden Wurttemburg.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#21]
You must go to the Andechs Brewery in Bavaria.  It is my favorite beer in Germany.  Check out their website...

www.andechs.de/englisch/index_main.asp
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're in Nurnberg, go check out "The Wall".  Go on Saturday night, its much better than, say, on Sunday Morning.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh, and don't forget to load up your gut on Weiswurst!  It's a wurst that is....white.  Pale, pasty and tasty.  It doesn't exactly look edible bud DAMN is it good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#25]
wow.

lots of good info.  

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
...  Just do me one favor while you're there....  eat a Rindswurst with curry ketchup and remind me how good they were.

German Deli
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Lived there 13 years. I personally recommend:

This Museum.

And this museum.

And especially this place:

Eagles Nest

And of course:

BMW

And also a trip to the concentration camp Dachau. I can also recommend Rothenberg, I lived about 30 minutes from there and visited often, Sundays are nice in Rothenberg for just strolling around and visiting the shops. You can pick up lots of trinkets there. Visit the Criminal Museum and see how they tortured people back in the day. Biergartens are everywhere, find a nice Gasthaus somewhere and grab something to eat outside in their biergarten.

If you visit Rothenberg stop by Gasthaus Dietz in Illesheim for something to eat. Illesheim is on Bundesstrasse B470 20 minutes north/east of Autobahn A7. Illesheim is a US Army airfield and Dietz serves the GI's there, the owners are very friendly and it's a very homey atmosphere. You'll get a great home cooked German meal.

If I can think of more I'll fill ya' in.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Things you must see:

Heidelberg.  Go see the castle and old town.  Have a drink (or ten) at The Kings Arms.
Sachsenhausen (sp) district of Frankfurt.  Huge party.
Cathedral at Freiberg.
Southern Bavaria.
Rothenberg around Xmas.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hoffbrau Haus in Munich.

+ 1.  That place rocks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top