Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 4:12:22 AM EDT
If Kerry won, what are the chances that he could get an anti-gun executive order through? Like the 89 Import ban by Bush and the 1998 one by Clinton? And if so, what could be the reaches of them?

If this has been asked recently, sorry, I didn't see it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If Kerry won, what are the chances that he could get an anti-gun executive order through? Like the 89 Import ban by Bush and the 1998 one by Clinton? And if so, what could be the reaches of them?

Pretty good I would think.  An Executive Order doesn't have to "get through" anything like a law does
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
An EO has to be based on an existing law. The 89 "ban" was based on the 68 GCA, if I recall correctly. Kerry couldn't just do anything he wanted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, he can and he will, if elected.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes and no...

The easy plays have been played.  He can't really push the authority granted much more than has been done, with the exception of importation of ammo & parts.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
"He wasn't sure what to do, but he would think of something..."
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Kerry could do whatever he wants, unless it's challenged.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes, he can and he will, if elected.

GunLvr

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top