Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 11:29:23 PM EDT
I had some at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Reno yesterday.  It was delicious and I'd love to get the recipe.  I couldn't really communicate with the owners, but I think it's got rice and cinnamon in it.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Find it at any ethnic mexican food store... its good for you as well... tastes like rice pudding... but thinner. That is good stuff... Now you got me wanting some.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't had it in mucho anos, but Google came up with the recipe right away. Good stuff, but probably too sweet for my tastes these days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Horchata

Horchata is an old-world drink that was enjoyed by the Aztecs. Today this agua fresca is served throughout Mexico, as well as in many authentic Mexican restaurants in the United States. Horchata is a cool and soothing enhancement to spicy food.
1 cup uncooked white rice
1/4 cup ground, blanched almonds or almond meal
1 cinnamon stick
6 cups water, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
Put the rice in a blender and grind to a powder (about 2-3 minutes). You can also use a spice grinder or coffee grinder for this. Grind the mixture as smooth as possible. Combine the pulverized rice, ground almonds and cinnamon stick. Cover tightly and allow to set overnight or at least 6 hours.
Remove the cinnamon stick and place the rice mixture in the blender. Blend for 4 or 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth, powdery and no longer has a gritty texture. Add 2 cups of water, and blend again for about 15 seconds.

Strain into a pitcher through several layers of dampened cheesecloth (or coffee filter). Do not skip this step or the drink will have a chalky taste.

Add 4 more cups water and the vanilla and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water. Horchata should have the consistency of milk. The drink is supposed to be sweet, so taste and add more sugar, if desired.

Cover and refrigerate. Horchata will keep several days, refrigerated. Serve it chilled in tall glasses over ice. Makes 1-1/2 quarts.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Love that stuff!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats something diffrent, never had it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
its ok...but not something to chug when you are hot and sweaty.

it does however rinse the burn away after some HOT mexican food!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Horchata made from Chufa nut tastes completely different than Mexican Horchata made from rice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
its ok...but not something to chug when you are hot and sweaty.

it does however rinse the burn away after some HOT mexican food!

Mexican food burn?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  I found two other recipes that sound good as well:

FIRST RECIPE:

2 cups brown rice
2½ quarts water
1 cinnamon stick
½  cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla.

Wash the rice, then soak it in cold water for at least 8 hours.
Drain the rice, and put it in a blender. Have a cup of water from the 2½ quarts standing by.
Blend the rice until it turns into a smooth paste. You may need to add the water to keep the blender from overheating and breaking, flinging parts everywhere and coating the room in a sticky rice gluten muck. Or you might be fine. If you smell smoke, add water to the blender.

Add the rest of the water and the cinnamon stick and put in the fridge for a few hours.

Strain the mix, first through a standard strainer then through wet cheesecloth. Add the sugar, add the vanilla, stir until sugar dissolves.

Serve cold with spicy food or on its own.
SECOND RECIPE:

1 cup brown rice
2 cups almonds, skins removed
2-inch piece of cinnamon bark
7 cups of water
1/2 cups of sugar
1 vanilla bean

Grind the rice into a fine powder (a coffee grinder works perfectly). Remove the skins of the almonds by blanching them in boiling water. Drop them in for about 30 seconds, and after they have cooled, the almonds should squirt right out of their skins when pressed between thumb and forefinger. Combine the ground rice, blanched almonds, cinnamon, and the seeds that have been scraped out of one vanilla bean, with 3 1/2 cups of water and let sit overnight, covered.

The next day, pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth, adding the sugar and an additional 2 1/2 cups of water. Strain the Horchata using a strainer and cheesecloth. There will be a lot of solids. Press them against the cheesecloth-lined strainer to get out all of the liquid, but don't stop there. Pick up the cheesecloth to form a pouch and squeeze out every last drop with your hands. The final step is to add additional water to thin out the drink to the consistency of milk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top