Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2001 7:57:12 PM EDT
I consider myself in decent shape both muscular and aerobic, but what types of exercises could actually help you improve your shooting accuracy? ANyone got any suggestions?
I would think... incline bench press for the deltoids, push-ups or bench press for the lats,shoulder shrugs and press for the trapezius, Lat-pull downs, tricep and bicep, basically anything upper body?
What does anyone think?
-Chuck
[uzi]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe some wrist curls to strenthen the forearms also. Also, maybe if you are benchrest shooting it would be better not to have any muscles so there isnt anything to twitch?

Michael
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
See my post here, on a good way to strengthen your forearms and flexors:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=28669[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Have a low heart rate (<60bps) and then time the shot between heart pumps.

Lots of aerobics, running, biking.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Many shooting position rely on bone support, not muscle mass.  It's more stable.

I prefer to increase stamina and endurance.  That way I'm not wheezing by the time I get to a place where I can take a shot.  To many lucky whitetails in my past.

Of course, If I'm too weak to lift and hold my rifle I'd be out of luck as well.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
A six pack of Heineken should do the trick.  The many repetitions from the table to your mouth with those green bottles should build up that shooting arm quite nicely.  Don't forget to carbo load with lots of rice, pasta for you mainland boys.  Also watch a lot of television to strengthen the eyes.  Watch the playboy channel to get that heart rate up.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Stuff like yoga breathing and meditation would probably be better for shooting than lifting weights.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Raven is correct. Marksmanship is much more mental than physical. Did Carlos Hathcock look like Arnold Swartzeneggar(sp?)??
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, Raven's right.  I was on a unit rifle team in the Army.  There's alot of little things that you pay attention to.  They don't do much by themselves, but it all adds up to more points in the end.  Yoga would be by far the most effective exercise.  Don't limit yourself to just one type though.  Do it all!  You can't be in TOO GOOD of shape for shooting in competition.  I mean you should have good strong muscles for endurance, and most importantly so you can control your body.  Look at it as a whole event, and go through the whole thing in you mind.  

If all else fails, Gunlover's suggestion works for me, only I use Guiness and fries.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Did ya'll also know that lifting weights  helps increase bone density just like drinking milk (calcium) and getting plenty of potassium? I think it is a total mental and physical effort. I can run 7+ miles so I wasn't to worried about my endurance. Would not muscles (which do twitch!) be better than fat which is unsteady?
Thank you very much for your replies,
-Chuck
[uzi] [sniper] [shotgun] [sex]
Also I don't think those who shoot guns should have anything to do with alcohol, it makes us look worse than necissary in the eyes of the anti-gunners
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I will put a new topic on for that one mike. OK?
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
OOOUUUUUUUUUCH!!!  I just strained my arm lifting a beer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a little humor guys.  Actually the best way to improve in shooting, or anything else for that matter is to do it.  Learn how to do it the right way from a qualified person.  And do it often.  Practice, practice, and practice.  Thats why our military snipers are so good.  They eat, sleep, and drink shooting,(I mean this figuratively of course.)  Practice makes perfect.  Also practicing the right techniques is very much essential.  The rifght breathing technique, breath control,  trigger squeeze, body stance, body positioning, arm positioning, placement of hands and elbows, all these things and more that an expert( which I am definitely not) could teach you.  Actually I believe that weight training can help in every physical activity that a person want to do.  I think weight training can be an excellent supplement to the active shooter.  Good luck to you and excuse my off the wall sense of humor.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree Gunlover
take care
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top