Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 7:44:55 PM EDT
I'm watching aliens on TV and Ripley just activated the self destruct system.

It seems that plot line has been played out in Star Wars (at least 3 times, between the show and the movies) and innumerable other sci-fi stories.

But why do all these ships have self destruct systems?  Does the USNavy equip it's aircraft carriers with a button that will blow it up on command?

A little help please.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
to add the ability to get a new star ship in all of the damn star trek movies, duh
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
To rid the Klingons on Uranus
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
because it accounts for interesting plots.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Government regulations.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't U.S. military vessels have protocols for destroying sensitive technology and information if capture is imminent?

This is just a more efficient and faster wayt to do the same thing - and maybe in the future there's a greater chance of alien capture or a greater risk of technology falling into the wrong hands.

... yes, I'm a nerd.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It seems that plot line has been played out in Star Wars (at least 3 times, between the show and the movies) and innumerable other sci-fi stories.

But why do all these ships have self destruct systems?  Does the USNavy equip it's aircraft carriers with a button that will blow it up on command?

A little help please.

In case I get aboard!

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
To suck some poor smuck in to the heart of the ship to get killed or traped so that the movie last longer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Its called a "range safety device". Get with the program.
Also, you cant be evil unless you have one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I would think that it would be there to make sure sensitive technology is destroyed, and so that it burns up uniformly on reentry should it fall out of orbit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Because it's a convenient plot device.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Micro$oft.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
It's like scuttling on the ocean, but in space there's no where to sink to so you have to blow it
it's been a while since I've seen it but in Alien was it an actual self destruct or was it more a case of disabling something that prevented the engines from overloading?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A little help please.

It's called scuttling, it was done on the seas for years during times of war, but its hard to sink a ship in space!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#14]
In the case of the Nostromo the self destruct involved disengaging the engine cooling system, causing an overload.  Given the size and mass of the vessel  and ore processing facility (that of a small asteroid) having something that large go rogue could be a huge hazard to other ships and planets.

For Federation Starships too much military tech and info to fall into enemy hands.  Primary self destruct is via the anti-matter storage cells.  Drop the containment on them or the M/AM reactor and you'll get a VERY big bang.  Secondary self-destruct is via charges placed throughout the ship (see Star Trek III: The search for Spock).

For small, non military ships the only reason for having self-destruct is simply as a plot tool.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not allowed to tell why.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]
and if it hadn't fallen into the genesis planet there would have been a lot of ship left over

Quoted:
Secondary self-destruct is via charges placed throughout the ship (see Star Trek III: The search for Spock).

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You mean Star Trek.

GBT
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#19]
the real question is though,why does an ar have a self destruct mech when bumpfired underwater
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't U.S. military vessels have protocols for destroying sensitive technology and information if capture is imminent?

April 1, 2001 - A US EP-3E surveillance plane collided with a chineese jet. It barely made it to china for an emergency landing.

While the pilot was trying to land the plane, the crew was busy trashing the electronics onboard per their orders.

'Self destruct' is just a fancy way from keeping the enemy from gathering intelligence, technology, and possible a weapon that can be used against you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
+1

As for the answer to your question it's 42. Oh wait, wrong question.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Having a self-destruct mechanism allows the engineering crew to reverse the polarity whenever they need to.  Have you tried to reverse the polarity on your laptop computer, cell phone, car?  It doesn't work...you'll fry them right up. But....if they had been properly fit with a self destruct device, you could reverse the polarity all day long like when you needed to create tachyon beams and such.

Of course, if you set up your electronics that way, you'll have to also remove any fuses/jumpers out of the system, and install high-voltage lines right under the control panel to blow up in your face.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
So you can kill a bunch of Klingons when they beam over, then you have to figure out how to work thier ship.  :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top