Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 5:54:13 PM EDT
Yeah, they are REALLY need the nukes for "peaceful purposes".

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041031/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_nuclear_041031114949

Iran Parliament OKs Nuke Enrichment Bill

Sun Oct 31,10:17 AM ET
By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran - To shouts of "Death to America," Iran's parliament unanimously approved the outline of a bill Sunday that would require the government to resume uranium enrichment, legislation likely to deepen an international dispute over Iran's nuclear activities.

Still, Iran's top nuclear negotiator Hossein Mousavian told The Associated Press there was a 50 percent chance of a nuclear compromise with European nations.

He ruled out an indefinite suspension of key enrichment activities — a concession that European negotiators have sought — but suggested Iran would consider calling a halt to building more nuclear facilities.

The talks with the Europeans aim at averting a standoff over Iran's nuclear weapons program at a Nov. 25 meeting of the U.N. nuclear watchdog.

The Europeans have offered to provide nuclear fuel and technology if Tehran reins in its ambitions to develop its own fuel — by creating enrichment facilities that can be used for peaceful purposes or for creating weapons.

Some lawmakers broke out with shouts of "Death to America!" after the conservative-dominated parliament after lawmakers voted to advance the nation's nuclear program, an issue of national pride that provides a rare point of agreement between conservatives and reformers.

Parliament speaker Gholam Ali Haddad Adel called Sunday's vote a message to the world.

"The message of the absolute vote for the Iranian nation is that the parliament supports national interests," he said. "And the message for the outside world is that the parliament won't give in to coercion."

The legislation said the goverment is "required to make use of scientists and the country's facilities ... in order to enable the country to master peaceful nuclear technology, including the cycle of nuclear fuel."

Another vote is expected on the bill when details are worked out, but that is usually a formality. A date for the second vote was not immediately set.

Washington has pushed hard for Iran to drop its nuclear program, which Tehran maintains is for peaceful energy purposes. The United States, which has secured some support from European nations, accuses Iran of trying to build nuclear weapons.

Mousavian, Iran's top nuclear negotiator told the AP some progress "definitely" was made during last week's talks with Europeans, who he said "showed flexibility and understanding."

Britain, Germany and France have warned that most European states will back Washington's call to refer Iran to the U.N. Security Council for possible economic sanctions if Tehran doesn't give up all uranium enrichment activities before a Nov. 25 meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

"I see the chance of a compromise before November (25th) as 50-50," Mousavian said.

In two rounds of talks in Vienna, Austria, the Europeans offered Iran a trade deal and peaceful nuclear technology — including a light-water research reactor — in return for assurances Iran would indefinitely stop enriching uranium. Mousavian said a third round of talks is planned, but not yet scheduled.

"We have rejected two possibilities: cessation and unlimited suspension," he said. "We told the Europeans if your target is cessation, it will be impossible. But we are flexible if your proposal is balanced."

"The package should define a timetable," he said.

Mousavian indicated Iran is willing to consider a moratorium on building more nuclear facilities, which it would need to produce enough fuel for additional power plants. Iran already has facilities in Isfahan and Natanz, but Iranian officials say that at full capacity they would only be able to supply one power plant.

"It will take a minimum of five years for Iran to provide fuel for one nuclear power plant," Mousavian said. "If they guarantee nuclear fuel, we would welcome it. It will be the best guarantee not to go for expansion."

Uranium enriched to a low level can be used to produce nuclear fuel. If enriched further it can be used to make nuclear weapons.

Iran is not prohibited from enriching uranium under its obligations to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty but faces growing international pressure to suspend such activities as a good-faith gesture.

Iran, which repeatedly has refused to give up its nuclear program, last year suspended actual uranium enrichment. However, Tehran has rejected demands that it stop all other activities related to enrichment, such as building centrifuges.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss Ronald Reagan.

edit:

1) I hope Bush can deal with Iran the way Reagan would have.

2) this is reason # 387567594849 to keep Bush in office.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No, you have it all wrong, they are a peaceful lot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They are really begging for an ass kicking.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
America says hello Iran.  We will bringing a BBQ to you soon, and your the BBQ.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
ah fuck, I give up. I don't care anymore....nuke the entire middle east, see if I flinch. (hopefully my family gets out first though)

-Lockedon (Resident American-Iranian)
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It must be Bush's fault.  

Iran?

Who?

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Did Kerry take a poll on how he should respond to their response?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
His global test kit is on loan to Dean, I think.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Although I'm really not serious, I want to say that if they want a nuke so bad, we should show them one.  Airburst style.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ah fuck, I give up. I don't care anymore....nuke the entire middle east, see if I flinch. (hopefully my family gets out first though)

-Lockedon (Resident American-Iranian)

+1

(minus the Resident American-Iranian part)

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]

..But we are flexible if your proposal is balanced."

He is my balanced proposal:  Dismantal your nuclear program completely,within the next 180 days, or I will open the United States' newest above ground nuclear test site in Tehran.  Comprende Amigo?

I wouldn't blink.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Although I'm really not serious, I want to say that if they want a nuke so bad, we should show them one.  Airburst style.

Hell, I say we sell them one thru a third party, and then show them a cloud via a remote detonation.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I think we are destroying our stockpiles of VX, GB and other such goodies prematurely.  It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Could the new nuclear bunker buster be mistaken for an "accicdent"?  

Bob
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the bottom line is that the Mullahs realize they can't hold on to power much longer if things remain status quo. The up and coming generation of college age Iranians are fed up with the Mullahs and their backward style of gov't and are looking for a change. They want Levi's and Coca Cola and McDonald's. The Mullahs realize that sooner or later they will be tossed out on their asses by their own people. To avoid this they're provoking the US to bomb the living shit out of them, hoping this will galvanize the populace behind them once again with a new anti-American fervor. A common enemy brings a people together and makes them forget about internal issues. It's their only hope to hold on to power in a changing Iran.
Fo shizzle.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yep. From those two, big land aircraft carriers called Iraq and Afghanistan.  I wonder what country is between those two?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Kerry would give them nuclear fuel, so they wouldn't have to divert any uranium for peaceful purposes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Gentlemen:  THIS is one very good reason we now control Iraq and why we are there to STAY.  We are in fact fighting Iran in Iraq.  We have been fighting the Mullahs for years.  So far, the war is being fought with surrogates.

One day soon, it may become face-to-face between the two of us.  I really hope that day comes before they assemble a nuclear weapon and mate it to a suitable delievery system.  After that, any confrontation becomes more difficult by several orders of magnitude.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Print this out, and shove it up the ass of the next LLLiberal that says 'Iran's nuke efforts are for peaceful purposes'.
And mass-mailing it to the next Dem apparatchik that thinks it's a good idea to SEND nuclear fuel to Iran would be enjoyable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kerry will handle this.

That's because he has a plan!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Kerry will handle this.

Yep!  He has a PLAN!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kerry will handle this.

That's because he has a plan!

He has to get his kit back first!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Nuke 'em already.

I vote have volunteered, raised funds and campaigned for any candidate who had said "If I get elected, I promise I will nuke Iran!"

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Stuff it in their pooper and post pics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#26]
dude most of that shit is half a century or more old and takes full bioharzard and chem control just to move, all the shells are rusty as shit and falling apart

Quoted:
I think we are destroying our stockpiles of VX, GB and other such goodies prematurely.  It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Ahh... The Iranian parliment...

I liked it much better when it was actually the voice of the people, before the mullahs banned all the pro-western candidates in the last election, allowing their 'pet' candidates to coast to unopposed victory...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Once Bush is elected.....he ought to tell those motherfuking, Satan worshiping towel heads that that they got our attention and best get ready for an ass whooping.  Personally, I say we invite Israel into the conflict.  They'll kick those backwards ass people all over the desert.  Not like we need any help.  Simply suggest that we let some others join in if they like.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Go look in the pit for Christs sake, they as a whole don't hate us. We can trust them with this power .......really we can. They won't share it with the other people who hate us either I'm almost sure of it. Can we just go after the bad ones that don't like us? You know that death to America stuff is just for show.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Still, Iran's top nuclear negotiator Hossein Mousavian told The Associated Press there was a 50 percent chance of a nuclear compromise with European nations.

Thank you, AP, for digging up this rocket scientist to explain to we mortals that there's an equal probability that an event may or may not occur. Sheesh...

Kerry will view this as no more threatening than Taiwan’s parliament throwing lunch boxes, chairs and shoes at each other. Ergo "It's just a 'cultural thing,' and as Evil Xenophobic Americans[tm] we need to learn how to respect cultural differences."
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#31]
they said "death to america"....wtf, is this for real?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Hears how it will go "I think" Israel strikes Iran, they retalliate, Israel declares war, Israel doubles in size again or mushroom cloud over Tehran.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
they said "death to america"....wtf, is this for real?

Yes sir it is.

Fuck em!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Well... I guess it's time to make Iran one big sheet of glass. Nuking the desert can do that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, if we are going to invade Iran, I better get a fucking combat jump out of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I think the bottom line is that the Mullahs realize they can't hold on to power much longer if things remain status quo. The up and coming generation of college age Iranians are fed up with the Mullahs and their backward style of gov't and are looking for a change. They want Levi's and Coca Cola and McDonald's. The Mullahs realize that sooner or later they will be tossed out on their asses by their own people. To avoid this they're provoking the US to bomb the living shit out of them, hoping this will galvanize the populace behind them once again with a new anti-American fervor. A common enemy brings a people together and makes them forget about internal issues. It's their only hope to hold on to power in a changing Iran.
Fo shizzle.

Bingo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fo shizzle.

Bingo.

So let the Israelis do it!!!!!!  We'll mop up whats left!!!!!!  Also it is a perfect tess for our new FA/22 Raptors the Iranians actually have an air force!!!!!  Our AF boys didn't get to kill anything in the air jast time out over Iraq, they need a good turkey shoot!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]
60% of their country is under the age of 30 and wants a change in government, they just got the shit kicked out of them... hunted down, tortured, shot,  publicly hanged etc.. for protesting against the current Mullahs not to long ago.

All this seemed to miss the mainstream news here in the states.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Fo shizzle.

That may be so, but the analysis ignores the fact that the iranians are proceeding with the nuke program anyway, regardless of the fortuitous effect they may have on their population's attitude toward the regime.  

Saddam found it pretty easy to stay in power.  

I have no doubt the Mullahs could do the same.  

Your statement should not be used as an excuse NOT to take action.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

..But we are flexible if your proposal is balanced."

He is my balanced proposal:  Dismantal your nuclear program completely,within the next 180 days, or I will open the United States' newest above ground nuclear test site in Tehran.  Comprende Amigo?

I wouldn't blink.

DPeacher for President!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I think it's time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#43]
^      I flinched once... but that was at the optometrist when they blow the puff of air into your eye to test                |        for Glacoma (SP?)
|
|
|
|

I agree, though... carpet bomb the shit out of Iran and then use some Napalm just for shits 'n' giggles.  Besides, I've heard that Allah doesn't have a contigency plan for the "Firey Death" fate. Fry mother fuckers, fry!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Ok, if we are going to invade Iran, I better get a fucking combat jump out of it.

FUCK YEAH THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Nuke 'em already.

I vote have volunteered, raised funds and campaigned for any candidate who had said "If I get elected, I promise I will nuke Iran!"

+1.  I'm sure there are a lot of people in Iran who don't want to kill Americans, just like I'm sure there were a lot in Japan who didn't want to kill Americans.  The solution is horrible, but such is war.  You force me to make a choice between my loved ones and their loved ones, I won't hesitate for a second.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top