Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 1:23:14 PM EDT
"They say no one's ever beaten the Van Wyck, but gentlemen, I tell you this... I came as close as anyone ever has" ~ Elaine from Seinfeld

Just dropped off two people at JFK and got back to CT in two hours.  Elaine was right, no one can beat the Van Wyck.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What's a Van Wyck?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
that is one of the funniest seinfled lines ever.
I'd feel bad for those who really don't get it, but then again, they've never spent time on it, have they.  So they're the winners and I'm the loser.  

I've spent cumulative years on that road and I'm only 25.  Took summer courses at Queens for four sumemrs, coming from LI.  Also worked for Anthony the Whiner ( do NOT ask) for a year in queens.  My folks folks' live by LaGuardia and my pop goes to LGA and back twice a week withthe Yours Truly Taxi Service.  

If there's ANYTHING I hate more than carnies and Dr. evil, it's the Van Wyck.

I think it was built directly over the river styx.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
live cameras of hell

live pic attempt:

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
there are a couple of different cams, all of them, always have traffic. period.  hell on earth, would rather be in 'nam type driving all the time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What's a Van Wyck?

Its an expressway in NYC, note that the term expressway is used pretty loosely
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
and DO NOT be armed on that road.  you will have no bullets left by the time you get to JFK.  they will al lbe in your HEAD!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and DO NOT be armed on that road.  you will have no bullets left by the time you get to JFK.  they will al lbe in your HEAD!

It was pretty stressfull, there was a guy next to me smoking a roach, should have asked for a hit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I was driving to the airport 2 wednesdays ago to catch a flight to Vegas at noon.

I was already late. But no traffic crosstown in Manhattan, over the 59th Street bridge or on the LIE.

I got to the Van Wyck, it was a dead stop.  

So I got off, made a quick u-turn, and got on the Grand Central to the Cross Island to the Belt, going 100 MPH the whole way.

I made the flight with 10 minutes to spare.

Gentleman, I beat the Van Wyck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's a Van Wyck?

New York City's longest parking lot!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So I got off, made a quick u-turn, and got on the Grand Central to the Cross Island to the Belt, going 100 MPH the whole way.

I made the flight with 10 minutes to spare.

Gentleman, I beat the Van Wyck.

you sir are my hero, the fastest I hit was 70 mph which only last a few short seconds
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Come drive the 405 sometime if you want to think of the Van Wyck fondly.

CW
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
In true AFRCOM tradition, a family member actually takes both!

He takes the 405 to LAX to JFK to the Van Wyck to CT.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm actually planning on that when I visit one of my sisters out in LA
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm actually planning on that when I visit one of my sisters out in LA

Please let us know your planned route. We would like to pull up to your car and do a tailgate.

CW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top