Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 11:45:29 AM EDT
Hello all.  I'm currently enrolled at Middlesex Community College here in MA going for my Associate's degree in Criminal Justice.  My career goals are to become a prosecutor and later on, a judge, in the field of criminal law.  I'm looking to transfer in sping of 2005 to one of three states to get my Bachelor's:

Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri

If you were ranking these states 1-3 on how Second Amendment friendly they are, what would the order be and why? 1 being the most gun friendly, 3 being the least.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
www.packing.org has some good info.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about MO or IN, but in KY (where im from and lived all my life) we're about as gun friendly as one can get. About the only firearm laws besides Federal laws concern Concealed carry, and that is allowed once one takes a one-time class and has a background check. Once you have the license, I think its good for 5 years, and enables you to carry ANY AND ALL weapons of any sort you can legally possess otherwise. We also have pre-emption laws, so no local laws can be passed concerning firearms. I like it here
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd either go to Central Missouri State University (CMSU) or Columbia College in Missouri. As it stands now Missouri has CCW and you can get Class III weapons. Columbia College has the added benefit of being located just down the road from Chapman Academy and the home of the Bianchi Cup, the Greenvalley Rifle and Pistol Club.  

I'd give my left nut to go back there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The colleges I've applied to and am considering are

Southwest Missouri State University
Ball State University (Indiana)
Eastern Kentucky University

I'll take a peek at those other colleges you mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
All I can say is.........I have class3 and love this state!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The colleges I've applied to and am considering are

Southwest Missouri State University
Ball State University (Indiana)
Eastern Kentucky University

I'll take a peek at those other colleges you mentioned.

Warning: I have my BS of CJ from Columbia College, so I might be biased.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Indiana is #1 as far as I'm concerned.  I have a better piece of advice for you: DON'T GET A CRIMINAL JUSTICE/CRIMINOLOGY DEGREE.  it's the second most useless degree in the world after English.

LE doesn't care, Federal LE would rather you have an accounting or law or something else degree....

I say again - change majors NOW before you find yourself going back to school at age 33...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Actuallly, I can't be LE ( I assume by LE you mean police), I have spina bifida and am in a wheelchair (see this thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=287839).
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I attend EKU, if you have any questions, though not in the CRJ or law fields. IM me with any questions you have about the campus or etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
IN is the best, QS is right.  Only laws we have concern conceal carry for the most part.  Its $25 takes 3 weeks and thats it.  No classes, no other bullshit.  Only law I don't like is we can't hunt deer with rifles and can't have SBS.  (all other class3 is fine!)  Those two pisses me off.  But KY is only 2 hours south of Indy, if you want to hunt with a rifle that bad.  Its great!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey ops, how is the mass transit system for that area? is it wheelchair accessible? How much of the campus is accessible?  You wouldn't happen to know how steep the ramps are would you? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd either go to Central Missouri State University (CMSU) or Columbia College in Missouri. As it stands now Missouri has CCW and you can get Class III weapons. Columbia College has the added benefit of being located just down the road from Chapman Academy and the home of the Bianchi Cup, the Greenvalley Rifle and Pistol Club.  

I'd give my left nut to go back there.

Ahh.. Columbia. Huge liberal town with some added benefits like the Bianchi Cup.

Missouri isn't bad but there are a few laws that suck, like having to get the sherriff to sign off to purchase each and every handgun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
bump for spc-ops
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
There isnt much of a mass transit system. EKU has shuttle buses you can call anytime and they'll come and get you, and most if not all of the buildings have ramps. Not sure how steep they are, but they are there. They are there, but in a few instances they aren't in the front of the building, you'd have to go around to the back or side to find them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Indiana is #1.

No CCW classes, just pass the background check, and you are lisenced.

Missouri Handgun laws blow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Whats the hunting laws in regards to magazine restrictions in MO and IN like? In KY, its 10 round max, 11 with one in the chamber. Semi-autos are ok.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
missouri can only have C&R class III
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Incorrect.  To have class 3, you must have an FFL of some type, and C&R counts.  So to get your M16 here, just spend another $30 and get your C&R.  I know lots of Missourians with MP5's and M16's.  

However, there are NO suppressors allowed.  That pisses me off.  And getting permission to buy a handgun from the sheriff sucks.  SMSU isn't that great a school (and I go there).  Springfield however is a great town to live in, and there are LOTS of hotties.  Also LOTS of cops, and they are very intolerant of DWI, as in, have ONE drink and you are probably over the limit if you drive within the hour.  

+1 on the Criminology degree.  A good minor, lousy major if you want a job in that field.  Most liberal arts subjects are like that.  My history degree (if and when I ever get it) won't do me a damn bit of good.  If the subject interests you, study it, but the only person I know with a degree in Criminology (from Truman, a better school than SMS) is now a Lt. in the Army.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Indiana is great!  Only thing you can't have is expolosive stuff (explosive rounds for DD's) and SBS's.  You can have AOW shotguns though.  The CCW is a piece of cake.  Plus, unlike MO, we are a solid red state.....  HEHEHEHE  Go GWB!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Indiana... even if you aren't a resident you can get your CCW, all you have to do is ask for it and not have a dirty record.

Lots of places to shoot... lots of shooters....
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
KY is the best.

We have no restrictions on ANY NFA weapons
Shall issue CCDW includes all weapons- automatic knives, explosives, and WMD.                                                                              

"No CCW" signs on businesses have no legal backing
Cities/jurisdictions can't pass their own gun laws
Legal open carry
Can carry gun in glovebox and is not considered concealed
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Can carry gun in glovebox and is not considered concealed

But, on the front seat in plain view is! I never figured that one out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Indiana is great state very few laws governing it

Go get the law degree we need more Gun friendly, prosecutors and Judges.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.  To have class 3, you must have an FFL of some type, and C&R counts.  So to get your M16 here, just spend another $30 and get your C&R.  I know lots of Missourians with MP5's and M16's.  

Thanks for explaining that, i thought it was only C&R machine guns that we could own, i neede to start saving for the M16 i guess.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Kentucky. "Must Issue" concealed deadly weapon permit. Very C3 friendly, open carry, etc. Let's not forget that its the home of the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Indiana is a right to carry state and we have no concealed carry laws.  To carry a pistol, you must have a permit.  They have to issue it as long as you're not a felon or a mental patient.  We can own machine guns, high capacity magazines, silencers and the state even runs a number of shooting ranges.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Spinabifida, +1 for KY.  I'm a fellow chair user with a ccw for the past five or six years.  KY is wide open and received a "F" from the Brady bunch.  If you decide on EKU be sure an give me a yell and we'll go shooting.  I've got a range behind the house and my house is totally assessable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top