Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 10:50:27 AM EDT
By The Associated Press

(10/31/04 - AUSTIN, TX) — An Austin police officer died after being struck by a patrol car driven by her partner. Police say Officer Amy Donovan was pronounced dead at Brackenridge Hospital following the accident in East Austin.

Police Chief Stan Knee says the 37-year-old officer was hit by her partner, Officer Adrian Valdovino, after he tried to cut a suspect off with the patrol car. Police say Donovan is the first female APD officer to die in the line of duty. She was on the street after leaving the patrol car to chase the suspect.

Donovan was a mother of four. She and her partner graduated four months ago from the police academy. Officer Valdovino is on administrative leave pending the investigation. The suspect remains at large.

link
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If I am reading this correctly, what the fuck are two 4 month rookies doing being partnered together?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#3]
not a good situation.

I'll wager the person they were chasing gets charged with the killing
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Fry the fucker.

.........oh, wait a minute......

That's bad news.  Condolences to the family.  Ditto on two rookies together.  WTF?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
How long does that dept make them ride w/ a FTO?...

Darn near a year in these parts...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If I am reading this correctly, what the fuck are two 4 month rookies doing being partnered together?

good question. Partnering 2 rookies together.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
It's Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah the article makes it sound rather weird. I'm betting they were in such a rush to get the story out that they didn't proof read. I do know some field training programs are only 14 weeks long, so they might have just finished training a couple weeks prior...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe Austin's FTO training is at least 6 months - maybe a year.  I think you may be right about the flawed story.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

double plus 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top