Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 10:44:20 AM EDT
Some background information on myself before I tell what happened to me last night. I'm 16, male, and a senior in highschool who is active in wrestling and tactical shooting. I was en route to my house from my GFs house when this event occured.

I was travelling along one of the two most heavily traveled roads in my city at around 12:50. The road has 5 lanes, two going each direction and one in the middle for crossing into traffic from businesses that border the road. As I was traveling in the direction of my house, a White 2000ish Explorer performed a U-Turn infront of my car, going from the opposite direction in the exetremed left lane of traffic to the Near right lane of traffic, thus making them go my way. I made the mental deduction that these were probably college drunks out after a night of partying at a club no more than 600 feet up the roadway. I crossed into the extreme right-lane of the road and passed them WITHOUT making eye contact or looking into their general direction because I was tired and listening to my music.

The driver of said car accelerated and matched speed with me and the right-side, back-seat passenger put his upper torso out of the car and yelled to me to "Pull over and settle this shit like a real man..." I was now able to establish four passengers in the car, all males, atleast one apparently intoxicated. I assumed that the driver was not intoxicated due to the way he was handling the car. Now, I am not a pussy, but I am also not stupid enough to not swallow my pride when faced with a far superior adversay force. I was armed with a Spyderco Gunting G-10, that I had taken Knife Defense classes with, and an aluminum baseball bat. I quickly decided to "Fuck that" and accelerated in an attempt to evade the individuals. I drive an Infiniti J30T. Again, they matched speed and proceeded to throw two open, albeit full, beer cans at my driver side window. This angered me, however, I had no  capability to effectively retaliate.  They pulled into my lane, the right side lane close to the middle lane, and I quickly turned into a Walgreens parking lot and proceeded to a backstreet and entered the general vicinity of my neighborhood. They took the next turn and were again following me. I made the decision not to penetrate deeper into my neighborhood, because if I had temporarily lost them in my neighborhood, and had returned home, they would be that much closer to finding my house and endangering myself and my family (I have a mother, father, and an 8 year old sister).

I circled back out, all the while being tailed, and ended back up on the original "main drag" that I had been traveling to go home when they made the U-Turn. I decided to slow down and wait for a 3rd party car to arrive and quickly get behind them, thus putting that car between the pursuers and myself. This chance was given to me. A car came up from behind, a big behemoth Cadillac traveling in the near right hand lane, while I was in the extreme right hand lane. The pursuers were infront of me, slowing down, however still moving because I believe the driver thought I might ram him. Once the car passed me, I quickly switched lanes behind the Caddy and then turned off onto a side street. I proceeded home, all the while making quick direction changes and turning off streets so as not to stay on one street too long, so that if they were able to follow me, they could not find their way through the myriad of streets I had crossed. I eventually got home, at around 1:07 am, called the police and asked if they could search my neighborhood and the main street for a white 2000ish Ford Explorer with the rear left brake light shield broken, so that only the white light was exposed. I couldn't get the License plate # because I was concentrating on evasion.

I am telling this story to tell all you parents out there the importance of teaching your child self-defense and quick-thinking. I do not think I am the victim of some horrendous crime because I was pursued, no, I know that there are countless people that have not faired so well. I do think this is a lesson to all people about the importance of adequately arming your person and your mind to effectively deal with unprovoked situations such as this. We need to be skilled with our weapons of defense and knowledgeble of effective tactics so that we don't become another statistic in a Victim log at our local precinct.  An even worse situation would be your own 16 yr. old daughter having this happen to her. How would she react? Would she be able to cope and adjust to the situation? These are questions that need to be addressed, esspecially in a time when urbanization is on the rise, thus creating conducive environments for events such as this.

Thanks for reading... and you can all feel free to call me a douche for being worked up..
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Good job.  Pretty well-related story from a high school kid.  Glad you were able to make good decisions about evasion and still doing your best to get a description of the vehicle and occupants.  Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.  Way to go.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
try putting some breaks in there and making it more readable, then maybe ill read it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Teal
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Eternal...good call in my eyes. Don't start a fight. It is not worth it and you have no idea if you would be shot as soon as you got out of or stopped the car. I unfortunately had to take on four guys before (mugging) and it was no fun...but they didn't get my wallet (I should have given it to them but I would have probably been beat even so.)

Did you have a cell phone to call 911 or was there a police station close you could have pulled into?

Stay safe...don't seek retribution. These guys were probably drunk and just looking for someone to mess with...wrong place at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Road rage, it happens to everyone.  What is the big deal?  If you told us that in your "evasive driving" that you managed to get them to pursue on a hard turn that your J30T could handle, but they couldn't and they flipped, I'd applaud loudly.  Otherwise, it sounds like they terrorized you without repurcussion.  Its kinda a depressing story, except for the fact that you got away safely.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
OneMoreMag...

I have a teacher at my HS that had almost the same experience. He's 55 and was mugged by two assailants, plus an additional driver in the getaway car. He was not able to retain his wallet, but he was able to get the license plate of the car and they were soon apprehended.

The Bad Guys only understand violence, thank God we have a police force, although an overworked and underpaid one, to aid in our own personal defense. I think citizens today think that they should leave the protection up to the police and not adequately arm and train themselves. I think this has been contributed to by laws protecting criminals in reference to shooting perceived assailants in one's home or elsewhere. This is the antithesis of our 2nd amendment: arming the people not only to defend themselves from crime but also from tyranny by  our government via organizations like the Army and police. The bad guys won't wait until the police show up to start their attack.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Road rage, it happens to everyone.  What is the big deal?  If you told us that in your "evasive driving" that you managed to get them to pursue on a hard turn that your J30T could handle, but they couldn't and they flipped, I'd applaud loudly.  Otherwise, it sounds like they terrorized you without repurcussion.  Its kinda a depressing story, except for the fact that you got away safely.

The only part that matters.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Good job.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad everything turned out ok for you. I have been in a similar situation before, the last time a few years ago, they turned out to be people that knew my girl friend and they didn't just want to talk. I managed to avoid them, but later that week the GF was by herself in my truck and wasn't able to avoid them. I don't want to discuss all the details but she will probably never fully get over the experience. She was scared and ran as long as she could and eventually burnt out the clutch and they picked her up. She was taken about 60 miles away to Kansas City and was beaten with a belt to teach her a lesson for something she did earlier in the school year. I had to pick here up at the police station and bring her home, have my truck towed and replace all the glass and lights along with the clutch, radiator and head gaskets. I had to send my GF back home to her parents shortly after as I couldn't handle her depression. She is doing well now and had recently passed her bar exam and is some sort of real estate lawyer. Sorry I can't tell more as to why they were after me or her, everything is still tied up in court. BTW if you are wondering, she didn't do anything illegal at first but was forced to eventually. She did it trying to protect me from them. I have since been in three fights with individuals associated with these people and have had a knife pulled on me once and a gun held to the back of my head once. I have knives and guns with me at all times now. I wish Kansas would issue CCW permits. I can't belive I don't have the right to protect myself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#10]
What are the knife laws in Kansas like?  Failing that, a shorty aluminum baseball bat can make a rather effective weapon.

Congrats on evading the punks eternal.  I assume you didn't have a cell phone with you at the time...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Fluxion:

Sounds like a really sad story. I hope everything works out in court and the "good guys" come out on top.

And to establish this: I did have a cell phone on me at the time, however, I was traveling at a rate of speed that I thought fumbling in my console for a phone without A) wrecking or endangering a pedestrian or B) Allowing myself to travel either into a dead end or a position where I could be stopped by them. I should have called the police right then and there, but hindsight is 20/20
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm glad everything turned out ok for you. I have been in a similar situation before, the last time a few years ago, they turned out to be people that knew my girl friend and they didn't just want to talk. I managed to avoid them, but later that week the GF was by herself in my truck and wasn't able to avoid them. I don't want to discuss all the details but she will probably never fully get over the experience. She was scared and ran as long as she could and eventually burnt out the clutch and they picked her up. She was taken about 60 miles away to Kansas City and was beaten with a belt to teach her a lesson for something she did earlier in the school year. I had to pick here up at the police station and bring her home, have my truck towed and replace all the glass and lights along with the clutch, radiator and head gaskets. I had to send my GF back home to her parents shortly after as I couldn't handle her depression. She is doing well now and had recently passed her bar exam and is some sort of real estate lawyer. Sorry I can't tell more as to why they were after me or her, everything is still tied up in court. BTW if you are wondering, she didn't do anything illegal at first but was forced to eventually. She did it trying to protect me from them. I have since been in three fights with individuals associated with these people and have had a knife pulled on me once and a gun held to the back of my head once. I have knives and guns with me at all times now. I wish Kansas would issue CCW permits. I can't belive I don't have the right to protect myself.

more, more, more,,, need more info... can you share anything else ?

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellent job.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Excellent job.

Love your sig line. I was sitting in traffic a couple of days ago... and your sig line came to mind because I had just finished talking to an Army recruiter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Here in Kansas you cant have a knife concealed that is longer than 4'' opened. I carry on me at all times one of four folders, usally an inexpensive Boker Magnum with  a 1/2 serrated Tanto style blade. Automatics are illegal and you can go to jail for having them, I have spent the night with all the drunks for that one and I still carry one.  No big deal just cost me a few hundred in lawyers fee's and I lost my knife. I also have a K-Bar between my seat and console in my truck along with a 5 cell maglight. The maglight is for hitting I have a better flash light in my console and a cordless 1.5 million candle power spotlight under the back seat.

As far as baseball bats, I don't have one right now but for those of you that have wood working experience, don't make your own. I used to make them on my Lathe out of Hickory or Hedge but the cops take them. Buy one with a good grip, I like the smaller Aluminum T-ball bats. They won't take a commercial bat.

I haven't had any problems for over two years but you never know, people are crazy. Shit happens for no reason at all just last month someone that works with my mom was pulled from his car and had the shit beat out of him at a stop sign.

Edited to add that I do carry a cell phone at all times.

All I can really add is that the GF was a communications major and had some guys in a sportswriting class that were basketball players for the college. She kind of got stuck working with a couple of them on a video project for a class and they found out that here parents were financially well off. After buying them pizza and beer all semester she wanted to break ties with these guys they started to blackmail her and make threats to get money. It started out small like $10-20 but quickly grew, before she knew it she was handing out all her money and some of mine, I thought she had a drug problem. I did discover  what I later found out was drug parfinalia in her apartment which reinforced my feelings and after a few bad arguments between us I broke it off. She simply couldnt' get away from them and was afraid of what they would do to me or her parents so she couln't find a way out. Now she knows how stupid she was and we could have ended this all rather quickly but hindsight is 20/20.

As far as what she was forced to do that was illegal, I can't talk about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top