Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 6:40:35 PM EDT
Ok, maybe a couple years ago or so, I read in a gun mag that in an emergency, you could fire 9mm rounds in a .357. Has anyone here actually tried it?

Now, I know that the bullets are the same size. I know that the 9mm is rimless, and you'd have to have something to poke the cases out by hand. I've also read up on chamber pressures for both, and the chamber pressure for a 9mm in a 9mm gun is less than a .357 in a .357 gun. But when you put a 9mm into a .357 chamber, something funny might happen. Not funny "ha-ha", but funny "oh shit".

I've slid 9mms into a .357, and they fit fine, but I never did pull the trigger on it.

Anyone ever try it?
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
probably best done with moon clips.

my best guess is that 9mm would be horribly innaccurate out of a short barreled .357

.38 special and .357 ammo is .357 in diameter.
9mm is .355.  this would provide some blowby of gas around the 9mm, and may let it bounce around a little in bore.  

How much I don't know, it may be negligable.  It try to avoid, but Ihave seen revolvers that adverstise, .38 special/.357/9mm
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
38 Super works as a sub load.No moons nedded as it is semi rimmed.355 vs 357 may or may not be accurate.Only ion 357 though no 38,s
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The revolver was the Medusa.They offersd conversion kits for some revolvers.Some type of extractor tha lets you use 357,38,380,9mm,38super,38acp,or just about anything else 355-357 dia.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
you can fire .22 out 22 mag if you want teh cases to split and pry them out, just thought id pass that on.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You can shoot 9MM in a .357.  Either moon clips or a cylinder that can extract the rimmless case.  For example, the Korth revovler can do both by swapping out the cylinders.  Problem, it is very expensive like $4000 plus.  There is an article in SWAT about the Korth.  Probably, if you shot the 9MM in the .357, you need to poke them out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a pistol that will shoot any .355"-.358" diameter round, (except .357 Sig) from .380 to .357 to 38 Super, 24 different caliber designations are known to work in this pistol, to date.

[url]www.phillipsrodgers.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Up until a few years ago, Smith had a 5 shot J-frame revolver chambered for 9mm Para.  I think the same J-frame was also used for the 357 Mag.  But you couldn't shoot the rounds interchangeably, it either one or the other.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
also heard you could fire a 223 in a 762x39 (ak)
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's the technical aspects:

The 9mm is rimless, so people say "full moon clips" but that won't work.  Any revolver designed to fire with full moon clips has a "shorter" cylinder, on the back end.  This allows clearance for the clip and the rest of the cartridge.  The clip fits to the extraction groove on the case, so you have to have the case sticking out the back end of the cylinder so you can clearly see the groove.  That's too far out for most .357s(all mine at least) to close.

I suppose my .357s have tight chambers or something, as I can't get 9mm into them, they hang up.  That's with several guns, by several different makers.  I suppose I could force them in there with something, but it doesn't sound like a great idea to me.  .380s will fit, so I assume it's the way the longer 9mm sits in a .357 chamber.  For me at least it will not work.

Ruger used to make a 9mm revolver based on the Speed-six/Service-six.  This used half-moon clips and the cylinder was shorter than on their .38/.357 guns.  Alot of people have thought their offering of this caliber ment you could just shoot 9mm in a .357 Ruger, and it has casued confusion.  I've had folks swear up and down that I could shoot 9mm in my Speed-six with moon clips until I hand them the gun and six 9mm rounds and say "Show me".  They could never get the rounds in the chamber, let alone the cylinder closed with the cases sticking that far out.

I own a S&W 547 which is designed to shoot 9mm without clips.  It uses a special extractor star that has fingers that pop out when you push the rod.  It's way cool, shoots perfect to aim with fixed sights, and the short little 9mil cases clear the chambers fast on extraction.  I even have speedloaders for it.  

If you can get your 9mm to fit in your chamber, it should work.  It can be done on some guns, I've seen it fit(not fired).  Just none of mine.  You will need to use a pencil or something to poke them out.  A big problem is that when the hammer drops, it may cause the case to move forward instead of setting it off.  There is no way for the 9mm case to maintain position, as it headspaces off the case mounth.  If it's a tight enough fit, it may work.  

I suppose I ought to say that I don't recommend shooting a gun with ammunition not specifically designed for it.  Having said that, I've shot 9mmLargo, .38ACP(same case as .38 Super but lower power), 9mmLuger, and .380 out of my Astra 400, loaded in the SAME MAGAZINE.  The gun functioned all the way through the mag and shot every round downrange.  There's a bunch of other rounds that will fit in there, but those are the only ones I had.  

If you try to shoot 9mm out of your .357, let us know how you did.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Ross got it right, the cylinder on a standard 357 is not relieved to accept moon clips, good luck trying this. Keep mixing ammo types and one day something going to go  KABOOM.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Ruger has done blackhawks with a 9mm cylinder. I have one. They work fine, but the cases are hard to extract.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Govt Thug:

I too have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible.  I sent it to Mag-na-port for action work and porting.  It also has the Belt Mtn. cylinder pin.

It is very accurate with both .357 Mag & 9mm, but they DON'T shoot to the same POI.  The 9mm doesn't group quite like the .357 but this could be based in my ammo selection. Like Ed Sr. says it is a great handgun for hunting, although I've never shot a deer with mine.

FWIW....Geno
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger has done blackhawks with a 9mm cylinder. I have one. They work fine, but the cases are hard to extract.
Scott
View Quote
I have one in the basement.I think they are called"convertible"models,but I never use the 9mm cylinder.
That is my favorite deer hunting handgun with the .357 cylinder.
View Quote

They are calle "convertible". It was too early fot me. Great revolvers. I rarely use the 9mm cyl either.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The 9mm is a tapered case and I can't get it to chamber in my Dan Wesson, goes in about 2/3s of the case lenth. .38 super can be used in a pinch as can .38 auto, and of course .38 spl.

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
View Quote

AH I've seen that and don't recomend it
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
View Quote

AH I've seen that and don't recomend it
View Quote

Now, f*k me if I'm wrong, but isn't the case of the 5.56x45mm a GOOD bit smaller than that of the 7.62R?  I'm thinking the round, if you DID try just shoving one down the snoot of the AK, wouldn't get caught in the throat correctly, and would slide down, getting caught in the rifling somewhere.  Explain this for me?

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Funny this particular combo came up for discussion, as the next handgun I plan to purchase is the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in the .357/9mm format...

I'm glad you guys brought it up.  It seems like a sensible choice in a gun for both practical and fun uses.  I'm looking at the 6.5" bbl. version, and plan to install the Hogue rubber/fingergroove grip on it.

Can anyone tell me if the square-back triggerguard part of the frame is interchangeable on these guns?

I'd like to know before I order the grip.  That's the look I want on this revolver...Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top