Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 11:30:30 PM EDT
mono lake , border of ca and nv east of yosemite , i love this area . one day i hope to move back

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
mono lake , border of ca and nv east of yosemite , i love this area . one day i hope to move back

Maybe I'm missin something here....But I see no lake?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

img73.exs.cx/img73/5222/0087.jpg

Wow, thats some beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

-Nugz
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#4]
That's really an awsome picture.  Excellent!!!  It's rare that the foregournd and the background are both in focus.  Lighting and everything went togeather.  (Went to a photography class once.)    
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Mono Lake is the lake that the City of LA (LADWP) raped by diverting its water in the 40's.
It's the largst natural lake in California.

The Jack Nickolson movie "Chinatown" is based on the the LA water wars.

Chinatown, a commercial film very loosely based on the Owens Valley-Los Angeles water controversy, "got most of the story correct." The "popular caricature" of Mulholland in the film is as a murder victim, and his wife has a problem with incest. Towne set the story in the 1930s—the major events occurred up to three decades earlier. He moved the details around to tell a story that no way could be considered a "docudrama." The film tells a fine story, a murder mystery with some very strong character portrayals, but it isn't history.

Historical Context
Robert Towne based the plot of his script on the 1904 Owens River Valley ”Land Grab,” which took place in the early 1900s. William Mulholland, the head of the newly formed Los Angeles Water Department, and Fred Eaton, then mayor of Los Angeles, believed the city would need more water to continue growing and began to look longingly at the distant Owens River as a viable source. The farmers and ranchers who lived in the valley, however, had their own plans for the river, waiting until the Reclamation Service completed its irrigation project there before they could use the water. Knowing they would need to put a stop to the project if they wanted access to the water, Mulholland and Eaton bribed a local Reclamation Service agent into showing them the necessary plans and then began buying up all the pertinent land and water rights in the Owens Valley area.

Mulholland also manipulated Los Angeles residents by portraying acquisition of the river as being vitally important to the city, when in reality he was using much of the water to irrigate the nearby San Fernando Valley and increase the return on the land investments made there by several of Eaton and Mulholland’s friends. All in all, the scandal is an almost perfect portrait of corrupt authority figures manipulating the public under the pretense of the common good. Eaton and Mulholland believed that their power placed them and their personal interests above the law.

wsoweb.ladwp.com/Aqueduct/historyoflaa/
www.livinglakes.org/mono/
www.monolake.org/

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have a bigger original, that would make one hell of a desktop or photoshop fodder.  All sorts of things could be done with that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Mono Lake has been drained - it's been a while, but the last I heard it was completely dry, so I'm surprised to see the water in the first photo.

Does anyone know if there is a mitigation plan to let the laket refill?

If nothing else, it's an important landmark for aerial navigation!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Mono Lake was also where "High Plains Drifter" was filmed (the town was built along it's shore)
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice photo. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful picture
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Mono Lake has been drained - it's been a while, but the last I heard it was completely dry, so I'm surprised to see the water in the first photo.

I think you're talking about the Owen's Dry Lake (used to be Owen's Lake).  There is a plan in place to rewater it, but the City of LA has been fighting it in the courts (and losing).  Owen's Lake is down near Lone Pine (about 100 miles south of Mono).

EAM  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Owens Lake was drained, it now pollutes the local communities with a variety of natural chemicals like arsenic.  Mono Lake is still around but very low.  The odd looking rock formations were under water at one time and are live coral formations (calcium).  I've heard they have quit draining Mono Lake.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Tufa Rock
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Mono Lake is a big stop-off for migratory birds.  They have nests on the larger island which is protected from predators (except when the water level went down and a land bridge allowed them across).   This picture was taken from across 395 Highway at the Mobil Station on the road leading into Tuoloume Valley and Yosemite.  The Station has a great little restaurant/cafe and for some reason also has a complete trapeze setup.

Mono Lake covers about 70 square miles.  Owens (mostly dry) Lake at one time had shipping from one side to the other for mining operations connecting to road transport.

Mono is spectacular.  There is a summit just beyond the lake where you can get a great overview of the basin and lake.  Lake is salty (in between the ocean and the Great Salt Lake) and you can easily float in it.  The Navy had a recreational beach there at one time.  You can take a boat on the lake although mostly you see kayaks for shallow water exploration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top