Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 10:47:05 PM EDT
who has experience in a M113 APC?  why are there not hundreds of them over in iraq by now!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they suck too, just like half-tracks.  The bullets dont fully penetrate the vehicles, the bullets just go in one side and rattle around a bit.  Ask any Vietnam Vet about how little protection the APCs actually gave, adn how they had to put sandbags on the bottom to protect against mines.  

Anything short of a Bradley will not be fully protective enough for our soldiers.  Until we come up with personal forcefields from Star Trek, it will be one of the risks of battle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
who has experience in a M113 APC?  why are there not hundreds of them over in iraq by now!!

I have about 6 years in one...

Does that count?

I would honestly have to say it is a toss up...

BTW, Im sure there are hundreds in Iraq right now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
what do we have for the troops that actually defeats the threat of a battlefield?!  corporate america gets fined and shut down for much less than killing people thru negligence!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what do we have for the troops that actually defeats the threat of a battlefield?!

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Until we come up with personal forcefields from Star Trek, it will be one of the risks of battle.

I've got 3 for sale right now. Check Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what do we have for the troops that actually defeats the threat of a battlefield?!  corporate america gets fined and shut down for much less than killing people thru negligence!

It all start's the day a young man or woman gets off the bus at any number of Basic Training centers across the USA. It is followed up by dedicated men and women called Drill Sgt's or DI's. When a Drill turns out a Soldier, you have the most powerful weapon right there. Make no mistake  the Military is not Corporate America. The Military is made to back up policy. The military is very safety minded, and I have found that Safety is always first, But there will be times where the Mission dictates a little more. That is what Soldiers/Marines/Sailors/Airmen are trained for. And training is what makes the situation safer. All the firearms,bombs,Body Armor just help add to the equasion...

The most powerfull weapon a Troop has is between their ears!.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Tanks aren't impervious to man-portable AT weapons, or mines.

Why should HMMV's be any different? I'm sure we could  add armor, weapons, ERA etc. The only problem is they wouldn't move.

HMMV's are for more mobile than 113's, and far more transportable. M113's requires many times more fuel to go the same distance as an HMMV. Tires last far longer than tracks too.

HMMV's can get out of places, with speed, that would be death traps for 113's. HMMV's also don't give off near as much noise, to give the "reception committee" time to set up, as an M113 does.

The problem I see with HMMV's, they should have solid rear doors when used as "gun jeeps" and M3 .50 cals, or twin M240's should get installed, with 360 degree gun shields, and ammo chutes to feed off large bins shielded inside the vehicle body.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
amen!  the problem i found was when i enlisted  my recruiter steered me away from a certain MOS because i would be a sitting duck.  if we know the shell around us is inadequate, the multi-million dollar shell can be defeated by an illiterate fool with a $300 weapon and 2 weeks training, then why do we go in with unarmored humvees and no one is held accountable?!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I am willing to bet many ideas have came across some ones desk, but it comes down to one thing COST. Like it or not our goverment would rather risk the lifes of 1000's to save a billion. But than again we will gladly support other countrys welfare's. Go figure
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Humvees were never meant to be anything other than a modern version of a jeep.

Armor is/was an afterthought.  It's a military 'car'.

I don't know enough about the M113  logistics and armor to comment.  

A battlefield with no 'battlelines' is still relatively new to the United States.  We're catching up.. but it's going to take time.   Humvees are easy targets.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Man am I fucking tired of the DU Army.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Now how about some of these? HAHAHA
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You called that one right.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Heh heh heh...

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what do we have for the troops that actually defeats the threat of a battlefield?!  corporate america gets fined and shut down for much less than killing people thru negligence!hr

+1

You called that one right.

+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:51:45 AM EDT
[#16]
AGNTSA.
We fight this one every fricken week, M113s have aluminum armor, are noisy as hell, band tracks go down if one shot hits the hydraulic line and they're slow.

Give me a Stryker over an M113 any day.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]
From what I hear, M113s are very unreliable.  In our Army anyway
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Beats the hell out of walking (which is what we would be doing without the humvees).
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget the M113s are loud and slow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Shinola.
War is dangerous, the safest place is in a steel reinforced concrete bunker, but you can't accomplish a mission sitting in one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
AGNTSA.
We fight this one every fricken week, M113s have aluminum armor, are noisy as hell, band tracks go down if one shot hits the hydraulic line and they're slow.

Give me a Stryker over an M113 any day.

Kharn

We are not using band tracks in the US yet, and the reason you psoted os one reason why I hope we never do. They are OK for a vehicle like the DV100 DEUCE that is not designed to protect its occupants or be exposed to direct firem but on a 113 I don't like the idea one bit.

The logistics issue alone is enough reason. 90% of these units don't have 113's, and therfore have no support capability for them. Namely track mechanics, tracked recovery vehicles, adn the various special tools and equipment needed to maintain these vehicles.

So what do you do? You can't just steal em from other units as there are not enough to go around, and simply running them through a crash course may work for somethings but doesn't work for this, where the MOS is not learned in AIT (the very basics only) but by on the job experience. Add to that finding enough recovery vehicles to outfit these units, on and one. Then repeat this every 10-12 months.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell, if the hummvee is so bad, let's just go back to the M151A1 Jeep.
When we transitioned from jeep to hummvee in the 82nd, it was great.

No matter what vehicle you end up with, enough explosives can be used to disable or destroy it. That's just a fact of life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#23]
H1 good.

H2 Sux.

H3 ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I have some experiance with M-113s and un-reliable is not a word I would ever use to discribe one.It is a unit that has been in continous production for over 40 years.The mechanical bugs got worked out long ago.It is what it is.I want one of my own.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Garand_Shooter;
I mentioned the band tracks because the M113 advocates usually come out and say "If they only had band tracks blah blah".

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
H1 good.

H2 Sux.

H3 ?

I'm waiting to see what the H4 is like...when they go after the Wrangler. Supposedly the new Wrangler will be a Liberty_lite...so that is no good...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Should have been around when the 113s ran on gasoline. Had a 283 GM motor in them,

rk
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I never could figure out the purpose of the Gamma Goat,other than to make everyone deaf and pissed off at one. We always went and got a CUTV(Blazer,K-Chevy,or the ol'Dodge 880),BTW,we had some good troops who went to Ft.Smith Ar.to party(we were doing the summer deal at Ft.Chaffee),in the back,barely covered by a tarp,in the back of a Gamma Goat,was a fully loaded with blanks,an M-60 MG.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Fixed it for ya.

Quoted:
No Shinola.
War is dangerous, the safest place is in a steel reinforced concrete bunker lined with foam rubber, but you can't accomplish a mission sitting in one.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#32]
AGNTSA.

Another advocate of the "every soldier an M1 tanker" Army.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Garand_Shooter;
I mentioned the band tracks because the M113 advocates usually come out and say "If they only had band tracks blah blah".

Kharn

Gotcha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top