Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 9:58:12 PM EDT
Winchester gun safe:
60X30X24
Features:
Certified Fire Protection - Safe interior does not exceed 350 degrees for 32 minutes when subjected to a 1200 degree fire
Underwriter Laboratories Listed Burglary Protection - U.L. listed residential security container and gun safe; Winchester safes exceed rigid UL test standards
UL Listed Group 2 Combination Lock - with a key locking dial
Laser Cut Door - Provides the tightest fitting door in the industry
10 gauge (.1345") - thick body construction
1/4 (.250") - thick solid steel door
External Hinges - Adjustable, ball bearing, external hinges allow 180 degrees of door swing, unlike internal hinges that allow approximately 80-85 degrees of door swing
Door Length Dead Locking System - Assures 100% mechanical lock-up of door on the hinged side of the door; this prevents opening of the door even if the hinges are cut off in a burglary attempt
Shelving and Gun Racks - Medium density fiberboard is used for its strength and machinability; shelves and gun racks are covered with padded velour fabric to protect your valuables

I'm looking at getting one. Any feedback, likes/dislikes?

On the model that I'm looking at, the only differences are electronic key pad combo, instead of dial combo and different style hnadle.

Since I don't have any guns, it will most likely be filled with assorted shot glasses and Maxim/Stuff magazines.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen them at Sams.  Looked nice and is a great deal for that size of safe.  No first hand ownership experience though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've looked at them, and they look ok and that seems like a good price

I have a Ft Knox, and I think I am going to nneed another one
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one.  Its been a good deal.  Nothing has gotten stolen yet!   I have gotten pretty quick with the dial lock, but I'm not sure I could do it under pressure.  Wish I had gotten the electronic combo.

Here is a stupid question:  When you order from Sams online- do you have to pay sales tax?  Please say yes, or I'm going to feel like the perfact idiot.........
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I saw, they look decent. Money is deffinately a factor. I would prefer a a much bigger safe (motivation to try and fill it). However, the other half is having difficulty equating the cost of the safe, with the value of the potential contents. Why spend all that money on a safe, when there's a sale at the Tommy Hilfigger store?

For what it costs and what I expect out of it, I think it will work out fine.
I think I'll hit some yard sales. I'll try to pick up a few Daisys and Red Ryders to make it look full.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes it's better having two smaller safes.  I have a 1300lb large safe and since my divorce I have yet to have it moved because it needs to be done professionally and it's been hard to find one that wants to do it.  If I would have a couple of the smaller safes I could just do it with the help of friends and a pickup truck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sometimes it's better having two smaller safes.  I have a 1300lb large safe and since my divorce I have yet to have it moved because it needs to be done professionally and it's been hard to find one that wants to do it.  If I would have a couple of the smaller safes I could just do it with the help of friends and a pickup truck.

+1 on that

My big safe is still in My now Ex wifes house . I still have access to it because we parted
on good terms , but its a 50 mile round trip .
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Since I don't have any guns, it will most likely be filled with assorted shot glasses and Maxim?Stuff magazines.

Plenty of room left for the trawling motor from the boat your firearms fell overboard from, too. nice choice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I can certainly unerstand the issue of mobility on a couple of smaller safes. However the S/O is not a gun fan, so multiple safes around the house, is not a good choice for me. It's more of a do it once, so go large, scenarios. I just had a moment of worry. Depending on the added dimmensions of the "handle" on the door, this might not fit through the doorway that I want it to.  I'll have to double check measurements.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can certainly unerstand the issue of mobility on a couple of smaller safes. However the S/O is not a gun fan, so multiple safes around the house, is not a good choice for me. It's more of a do it once, so go large, scenarios. I just had a moment of worry. Depending on the added dimmensions of the "handle" on the door, this might not fit through the doorway that I want it to.  I'll have to double check measurements.

the door can be removed, and it lightens it by about 200lbs or more...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the door can be removed, and it lightens it by about 200lbs or more...

You sir, are genius. Maybe I can get a bigger safe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top