Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 3:05:32 PM EDT
USS Parche Decommisions at PSNS

Story Number: NNS041028-07
Release Date: 10/28/2004 11:07:00 AM

By Journalist 2nd Class Mary Popejoy, Naval Base Kitsap Public Affairs

SILVERDALE, Wash. (NNS) -- USS Parche (SSN 683) Sailors - past and present - paid tribute to Parche and its 30-plus years of dedicated and faithful service to the U.S. Navy during a decommissioning and change of command ceremony at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) Oct. 19.

Cmdr. Bill Guerrero relieved Capt. Charles Richard as commanding officer of the Sturgeon-class attack submarine in front of former Parche crew members, distinguished guests and family and friends of the crew.

The guest speaker for the event was Rear Adm. Paul Sullivan, commander, Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet (SUBPAC).

During the ceremony, Sullivan spoke about how proud he was to be on hand to witness such a special occasion.

"Capt. Richard, you and your crew have never looked better," said Sullivan. "The Parche crew members and reunion group embody the motto of the Parche herself - 'Par excellence.' Your steadfast devotion to duty, ingenuity, boldness and competence of Parche crew members past and present symbolizes the very essence of our nation and is a clear demonstration of your love and passion for freedom."

"It's because of each Sailor's exceptional service that Parche was able to take the ship to sea safely and provide the nation with national security through their warfighting readiness," added Sullivan.

Richard praised his former crew and said it was a pleasure to serve with them.

"Parche has consistently set the standard for material readiness," said Richard, "right up to her last day under way a few weeks ago. You just can't find a more dedicated, enthusiastic, hard-charging group of men willing to go to sea for extended periods of time away from family and friends doing a job that needed to be done, not for favor or reward, but because their country asked them to. They are true American heroes."

For former crew members, witnessing the decommisioning of their ship was sentimental.

"I was a part of the commissioning crew, and I wanted to see it full circle and see the decommissioning ceremony," said former crew member Dennis Doering. "It was a great boat from start to finish. It ran well, performed all of its duties, and we did our best to make it look better."

And for those who were a part of the last Parche crew, the day will not soon be forgotten.

"Parche is the last of the old boats, the Sturgeon-class submarine, and I really liked it a lot because I've grown up with them over the past 20 years," said Senior Chief Machinist's Mate (SS) Gary Kernan, engineering department leading chief petty officer. "I'm going to miss the crew, because that's what makes the boat what it is. The camaraderie that we have here is better than any other sub I've ever served on."

Guerrero said his goal as new commanding officer of Parche was to close the doors on Parche's historic Navy career in the same fashion in which they were opened.

"My vision is that this will be finished with the same panache as all their previous exploits and faithful to the spirit of the ship's motto, 'Par excellence,'" said Guerrero.

Parche is named after its predecessor, USS Parche (SS 384), which was commissioned Nov. 20, 1943. The name Parche comes from a French butterfly fish, Chaetodon Capistratus, which is known for its remarkable navigation abilities.

Parche was commissioned in August 1974 and served as a unit of the Atlantic Submarine Force until 1976 before transferring to SUBPAC. Once arriving at its new homeport at Mare Island, Calif., Parche received ocean engineering modifications.

From 1987 to 1991, Parche began an extended overhaul at Mare Island Shipyard. The boat was refueled and modified for research and development, adding a 100 foot extension to its hull, and began a new mission as part of Submarine Development Squadron 5. Parche resumed Pacific Fleet operations in 1992 and was transferred to its new homeport at Naval Submarine Base Bangor, Wash., in November 1994.

Throughout its 30-year career, Parche has earned numerous accolades, including nine Presidential Unit Citations and 10 Navy Unit Commendations.

A silent warrior's final day
By Chris Barron, Sun Staff
October 20, 2004

On a dark and gloomy rain-filled day, a shroud of secrecy permeated the air on the Bremerton waterfront.

It was the perfect setting for the final day in the top-secret career of the Bangor-based USS Parche, one of the world's most prolific spy submarines.

By the time its life ended Tuesday in a decommissioning ceremony at the Bremerton naval base, the Parche was the most highly decorated ship in Navy history — even though most Americans have never heard of it.

Commissioned in 1974, the Parche spent 30 years and 19 deployments as America's top espionage sub, reportedly tapping the undersea military communication lines of the Soviet Union during the Cold War, plucking lost Soviet weaponry from the ocean floor and gathering intelligence on other enemies afterward.

The Parche (pronounced PAR-chee) was officially designated by the Navy as a "research and development" submarine. And it did plenty of that, testing new sonar and undersea warfare technologies.

But its highly classified missions, none of which have ever been officially confirmed, are the most intriguing aspect of its history. Many of those missions were deemed to be of "vital importance to U.S. national security," earning the submarine an unprecedented nine Presidential Unit Citations. The vast majority of ships never receive even one.

For being the most decorated ship ever, shouldn't more people be made aware of what it accomplished?

"Those that need to know, know," said a matter-of-fact Rear Adm. Ben Wachendorf, who commanded the Parche from 1988 to 1993.

Wachendorf, now U.S. defense attache in Moscow, traveled from Russia to be at Tuesday's ceremony.

"I wouldn't have missed it for anything," he said. "It means a lot to be able to say goodbye to an old friend."

In fact, all but one of the Parche's nine former commanders were present at the Parche's decommissioning. In addition, about 130 former crew members, most belonging to the USS Parche Association, were on hand to witness the sub's inactivation.

Those who returned to see their sub one last time said it was not only the camaraderie of submarine life that made Parche special, but also the exotic and extremely challenging missions it completed, which often involved excruciatingly long periods spent submerged with dwindling food and supplies.

"It's the end of the life cycle," said Manchester resident Will Longman, chairman of the Parche Association. "It's very meaningful. The camaraderie does not go away. And the uniqueness of Parche imparts its own special camaraderie."

The Parche also was the last of the Navy's 37 Sturgeon-class fast attack subs to be deactivated — though it barely resembled any of the other ships of that class.

That's because its hull was extended by 100 feet to accommodate extensive classified modifications in a four-year stay at Mare Island Naval Shipyard near San Francisco in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

In 1994, the Parche and its crew of 190 moved from Mare Island to Bangor. It had already earned six Presidential Unit Citations by that time and earned another three after its transfer to Bangor, including a ninth for its final deployment that ended in late September.

The Parche's final resume also included 13 Navy Expeditionary Medals and 10 Navy Unit Commendations — all unprecedented numbers.

"Parche has had a career unmatched in the annals of submarine history," said Rear Adm. Paul Sullivan, commander of the Pacific Fleet submarine force.

"Parche has gathered enough citations that are just truly remarkable ... based on her superb performance in critical national tasking.

"She now ranks among the most legendary vessels to ever have sailed under our flag."

Sullivan compared the Parche's storied past to other historic Navy vessels, such USS Constitution, USS Monitor, USS Missouri and USS Nautilus.

"And now there is Parche," he said.

The ship figured prominently in "Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage," a nonfiction book published in the 1990s, which described how it spent its Cold War days spying on the Soviet Union.

It's also been reported the sub, with a claw-like device, was able to pick up lost Soviet missiles or bombs from the sea floor. Later, it reportedly deployed unmanned drones to complete many of the espionage tactics.

Following the Cold War, the Parche continued its highly classified missions, with many observers citing an even higher sense of secrecy. It's said the Parche spent plenty of time in the Persian Gulf, gleaning intelligence on Iraq and Iran, and traveled through the Western Pacific keeping tabs on China and North Korea.

Capt. Richard Charles, the Parche's first commander, traveled from Mobile, Ala., for Tuesday's ceremony. He took command while the sub was being built and went on its first deployment, a five-month journey in the Mediterranean Sea. After that, the sub transferred to the West Coast and began its spy missions a few years later.

"Those guys in the Pacific had all the fun," Charles joked. "I just built it.

"It's always sad to see a ship retire, but after a while, they are like you and me; they wear out."

Ironically, the name of the Parche's last at-sea commander, Capt. Charles Richard, was a mirror image of the sub's first. Richard was relieved in a change-of-command ceremony Tuesday after leading the Parche on two post-September 11th deployments, including one that lasted 122 days in 2002.

"Being commander of this ship was an extraordinary experience and I was fortunate to be given the experience," he said. "I hope that each man who has served aboard this ship will look back and swell with pride knowing that he answered his country's call."

Following the ceremony, the Parche, probably one of the least known subs to the general public because of its highly classified missions, silently shifted over to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. There, it will be torn apart and recycled over the next few years.

And it's probably the first time in the Parche's history that its whereabouts will be known.

"That just proves our success that nobody knows what we do," said Bremerton resident Curt Mathews, who retired off the Parche last year. "It's kind of fun. People say, 'The Parche? I never heard of it?' Well, that's good.

"And we like it that way and that's why we were successful in all of our missions."
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
That boat had a very 'interesting' career. We will never hear about most of it, but I'm sure it would make James Bond spy films look tame!

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That boat had a very 'interesting' career. We will never hear about most of it, but I'm sure it would make James Bond spy films look tame!

ANdy

It did.

And while I can't say much about it, the old beast will be razor blades and car parts soon.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good book on some of the Parche's accomplishments is "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew.  It's worth a read.  Gator-Bob says, "Two thumbs up!!"

-Gator
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very good book on some of the Parche's accomplishments is "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew.  It's worth a read.  Gator-Bob says, "Two thumbs up!!"

-Gator

I just finished reading that book.

One very interesting book. One of those you couldn't hardly put down.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The cruelest joke of all is that a boat named the USS Jimmy Carter   (SSN-23) is replacing Parche.  SSN-23 is the last of the Seawolf-class boats, but it is especially modified for Special Operations (100' longer than the others in the class).

That there's a boat (particularly a SpecOps boat) named after that turd infuriates one to no end.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Gator

I just finished reading that book.

One very interesting book. One of those you couldn't hardly put down.

was definately a very good read.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top