Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 7:11:31 AM EDT
I noticed that I'm definitely a Caffeine addict. Any day that I go without drinking a soda I get enormous headaches. So I'm trying cut soda out of my diet, and I'm now drinking black tea as a substitute.

Are there any health benefits to black tea?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It counts on what tea were talking about.

Brewed tea? Yes, with little sugar added, especially yes.

Iced tea or sweet tea?

No.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Iced tea or sweet tea?

No.

Hot Brewed BLACK tea with sugar. Sugar makes it healtier?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sugar makes it healtier?

Most people dump sugar in. Just ONE teaspoon or less if better for you.

Or sugar substitute (if you can stand it).

Water, however, is the most healthy thing you can ever drink.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sugar makes it healtier?

No, not at all.  But the glucose gives you a short lived "charge."

Tea should suffice in making up for your lack of carbonated, high carb, caffinated cola intake.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been drinking a minimum of 2 cups every weekday morning for the last 11 years, more on weekend mornings. They say the antioxidents in tea are very good for you and I believe it. When family members are sick I rarely get what they have, and if I do, the symtoms are not as severe as theirs were. Plus tea has floride in it which I believe has kept me cavity free for all these years. One draw back might be the stained teeth. Your teeth might not be pearl white but at least their not full of holes!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I drink plain green tea at work...no sugar, honey, lemon, nothing just plain hot water and green tea.

What properties does the green tea have that are good for you?

I read something once but I cant recall what it is
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I drink green tea every day
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Black tea has no health benefits.  Green and white teas are full of antioxidants - sometimes as much as a serving of vegetables.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#11]
My personal fav:
Oolong tea which combines the freshness of green tea and the fragrance of black tea, is becoming popular with more and more people. It is also popular for its medical benefits, including assisting the body building process and in dieting. Fujian, Guangdong and Taiwan are the major producers of this kind of tea. Oolong tea grows on cliffs. Harvesting this type of tea is very difficult, which makes it the most precious.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Plus, they named a rabbit after it
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Do a search on Yahoo News (select "Yahoo news only" in the search dialog);  within the last couple of weeks, they've had yet another article pointing out that tea is great for you.

From memory, green tea has some compounds that the other varieties don't, so provides additional protection against cancer and cholesterol.

BTW, green tea won't stain your teeth quite as much as black/oolong, in my experience.  I'm using a "whitening" toothpaste (Crest, if anyone cares) and it is able to keep my teeth looking decent when I drink green tea.  Back before whitening toothpastes, when I was drinking mostly oolong tea, my teeth looked almost orange.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I dunno but it goes great with Sushi!

a BIG +1

ive been told somthing in green tea is good for the heart.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Green tea is good for the heart.  there is also a compound in it that is supposed to make the blood slippery and prevent plaque from forming in arteries.  Green tea also has some very strong anti-oxidants.  In studies, those that drank the tea didn't have heart disease like those that didn't.  There was also a study on tea in England.  Middle aged women that drank tea often had much better bones than those that didn't.  I like mine plain, but also with honey.  "Honey is good for your hammer!" says my uncle Donny! Don't know if its true, but I like the sound of that!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Black tea has no health benefits.  Green and white teas are full of antioxidants - sometimes as much as a serving of vegetables.

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Iced tea or sweet tea?

No.

The boxes of Lipton and generic jumbo pekoe teabags (for brewing iced tea) are both labled as supplying a significant amount of antioxidants. Plus, you tend to drink a lot more of the iced variety than hot tea (around a quart per day, in my case).

Strangely, since having started Atkins, I now prefer saccherin over sugar as the sweetener – Just seems to complement the taste of the tea. Don't think I'll ever go back to soft drinks –
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#18]
The tannic acid in Black Tea is good for the digestive system.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Bass Ale and Crown Royal. That'll keep ya regular.

You can live out at  the ranch for four days on that shit alone.

(And, enough of it  makes skinning a 300lb hog alot easier)
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]
It's supposed to be good for your heart, but it stains your teeth and cups something terrible…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iced tea or sweet tea?

No.

The boxes of Lipton and generic jumbo pekoe teabags (for brewing iced tea) are both labled as supplying a significant amount of antioxidants. Plus, you tend to drink a lot more of the iced variety than hot tea (around a quart per day, in my case).
Strangely, since having started Atkins, I now prefer saccherin over sugar as the sweetener – Just seems to complement the taste of the tea. Don't think I'll ever go back to soft drinks –

Drink it straight, unadulterated. No sugar, no milk. Girliemen!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Tea is supposed to be very good for your teeth, stains notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I noticed that I'm definitely a Caffeine addict. Any day that I go without drinking a soda I get enormous headaches. So I'm trying cut soda out of my diet, and I'm now drinking black tea as a substitute.

Are there any health benefits to black tea?
Thanks!

Yes, black and green tea are very good for you.  They help to boost your immune system.

I quit caffeine the day I quit smoking.  I drank tea to help get me through  it.  Over (1) year cigarette and caffeine free!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]
White, green, and black tea all come from the same
plant. White is the buds, green the smaller-more tender- leaves;
black tea comes from the larger leaves. What really makes the difference
is the way they are processed. White and green tea are handled differently.

The level of antioxidents largely relates to the processing method. White, and
green have the highest. Brewed black tea also provides benefits,although at a somewhat lower level. In short, drink tea often; especially white and green variants. The key is to drink it regularly; several cups a day. Go easy on the refined sugar.   Also, add blueberries and pomegranate juice to your
diet.....They are loaded with good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My personal fav:
Oolong tea which combines the freshness of green tea and the fragrance of black tea, is becoming popular with more and more people. It is also popular for its medical benefits, including assisting the body building process and in dieting. Fujian, Guangdong and Taiwan are the major producers of this kind of tea. Oolong tea grows on cliffs. Harvesting this type of tea is very difficult, which makes it the most precious.

I drink this stuff
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I dunno but it goes great with Sushi!

And Dim Sum.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I drink plain green tea at work...no sugar, honey, lemon, nothing just plain hot water and green tea.

What properties does the green tea have that are good for you?

I read something once but I cant recall what it is

Everything. By far, green tea is the most healthy tea available.

The Chinese have been drinking green tea for centuries. It's like the WD-40 of drinks - it does everything.

A short list of what green tea helps fight against:

cancer
rheumatoid arthritis
high cholesterol levels
cariovascular disease
infection
impaired immune function
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Green Tea has a lot of anti oxidents and will help to suppress your apitite. There are teas called oolong teas that are between a green an aged tea. It's good as iced tea with a little sugar.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok guys, I just got back from wal-mart where a I picked up some "Celestial Seasonings Authentic Green Tea". It's the teabag kind with caffeine. Is this stuff any good?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

A beer drinkers best friend.

Tea is the only thing that keeps my liver from rusting up and falling out my bung.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#32]

teabag kind with caffeine.

Is this stuff any good?

I've had it before (non-caffinated). It tastes right, but although you won't want to hear this (I once drank 3-4 12oz cans of soda a day, I too love carbonation and caffeine), you should really get the NON-caffeinated version.

But, yes, it's hundreds of times better than a soda.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
A very timely tread, since I was just asking my buddies about this very topic just the other day. I stopped in the local mega Asian market and took a look down the tea aisle..DAMN ! The whole freaking aisle was tea. Hundreds and hundreds. I don't know where to start.  

Quoted:
Iced tea or sweet tea?
No.

Him sayyyyyyy, ice tea no good. Why ??
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I drink a half gallon of decaf iced tea about every day. I use splenda in it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Replace all the water you drink per day with that.
I drink atleast 2qrts a day. ( Sugar is for the kiddies )

Here are some facts about Caffeine & Antioxidants... ( flavonoids )
Lipton..flavonoids & caffeine...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#36]
loose tea or rolled tea will have better flavor than anything that comes in a tea bag.

MT
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ok guys, I just got back from wal-mart where a I picked up some "Celestial Seasonings Authentic Green Tea". It's the teabag kind with caffeine. Is this stuff any good?

I wish I knew!

Anyway, FWIW, I drink the Celestial Seasonings Decaf Mandarin Orchard Green Tea solely for the (alleged) antioxidants in it.  I don’t really care for green tea, but this has orange peel in it and tastes a bit better to me.

Plus, I can’t handle caffeine since it’s jacks up my blood pressure.

I just wish they would put a string and paper tag on the teabag!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Loose tea is really the best. I like green and.. not sure how you'd call it in English, but "shang pien" is what it is in Chinese.

Oolong is good for eating with fatty stuff, or at least that's what mom always told me about traditional chinese medicine. Then we messed around with it in chemistry, and it's a surprisingly good fat/oil emulsifier. Surprise, surprise.

Sugar is sacrilege.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Oy.

Is that "with added caffeine", or just "not decaffeinated"?  Tea leaves naturally have some caffeine in them.

I'd skip anything that had added caffeine, and also skip anything that was decaffeinated -- the decaf processes tend to destroy the flavor, not to mention that (if it's not water-process) the solvents are carcinogenic.  Decaf tea smells like aquarium water.

Celestial is an ok brand, I guess, just hyped and yuppified.  Go get some bulk tea from a Chinese grocery some time.  Experiment around with different brands and brewing methods.  The way of tea is something that you can spend a lifetime learning about.  Throw in some zen silliness and chicks will dig you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I would have thought drinking tea was 'Unamerican'…… didn't you guys start a Revolution over tea?

Andy
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I would have thought drinking tea was 'Unamerican'…… didn't you guys start a Revolution over tea?

Andy

I wonder how much tax they charged me on that box....lemme see BRB

ETA: 7.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH THIS BOX IS GOING INTO THE BATHTUB!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Him sayyyyyyy, ice tea no good. Why ??

Quite often, too much sugar and junk and not enough of nutrients.

Hell, most iced tea drinks carry 70-95 calories... About the same as half of a 12oz soda.

And, when you drink 5-6 cups of that (or more) a day - it adds up. Nothing is wrong with drinking iced tea, however, if you drink a LOT of it everyday; look for unsweetened or sugar substitute tea (or better yet, drink water).

I lost 15lbs by drinking 8 cups of water a day for a month. No additional exercise or diet - just no soda and lots of water. You'll FEEL better too, because drinking lots of water flushes all that nasty shit out of your body that pollutes it. It's like putting STP your car.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

LOL.

Oddly enough, we did not start a war over tea. It was over taxes ON tea, however.

Man, the Boston Harbor must've looked odd being black for the next few days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top