Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 10:07:53 PM EDT
transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/29/lkl.01.html

WALTER CRONKITE, FMR. CBS NEWS ANCHOR: When you recite all that, I wonder where in the world the big shots in this nation are going to gather other than on your program?

KING: They'll all be here, Walter. Walter Cronkite, the legendary journalist and old friend, a great man in the history of broadcast journalists, and maybe the most revered person ever to go on camera. Let's first play a little bit of this tape, in which bin Laden, released today, directly addresses the American people. Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

OSAMA BIN LADEN (through translator): Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands. Any nation that does not attack us will not be attacked.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: OK, Walter. What do you make of this?

CRONKITE: Well, I make it out to be initially the reaction that it's a threat to us, that unless we make peace with him, in a sense, we can expect further attacks. He did not say that precisely, but it sounds like that when he says...

KING: The warning.

CRONKITE: What we just heard. So now the question is basically right now, how will this affect the election? And I have a feeling that it could tilt the election a bit. In fact, I'm a little inclined to think that Karl Rove, the political manager at the White House, who is a very clever man, he probably set up bin Laden to this thing. The advantage to the Republican side is to get rid of, as a principal subject of the campaigns right now, get rid of the whole problem of the al Qaqaa explosive dump. Right now, that, the last couple of days, has, I think, upset the Republican campaign.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt know Karl Rove knew how to speak Arabic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering if he really said it or not.  At first I thought he finally lost it.  Now I just think it's another partisaned jab at the Presidents campaign.

Here's the DU take on it -

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=289098
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
He's senile and has been that way for years.

During Desert Storm, he said reporters should be issued Humvees and allowed to go wherever they wanted.

CNN is programed out of my tv, BTW!

Scott
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Me thinks he needs one of these....

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's sad they still drag the old guy out like this in attempt to bring out the few liberal elderly out there... I never liked the guy... but they should just let him ride out his final days in peace. As it is now, Cronkite will be known as a senile coot rather than a major founding player in American left wing journalism.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]

KING: Who's to blame for this [election mess]?

CRONKITE: Who's to blame for it really is the intensity of this campaign. Plus the fact that we have a preface to this in the last campaign. What year was that now?

KING: 2000.

CRONKITE: 2000. Thank you very much....
KING: Will Ralph Nader be a factor?

CRONKITE: He certainly could be. He was very serious factor with 3 percent of the vote, not quite 3 percent of the vote in 19...

CRONKITE: 2000, that is.

I'm speechless.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Good Lord, old Walt has finally gone around the bend.

You think they'd keep him the hell away for the cameras, just to save themselves the embarresment.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
He hasn't gone around the bend.  He was always this far to the left.  Most of us just didn't realize it until recently.  At least I didn't.  I grew up with this goofball on the evening news.  Most people felt that what ever he said was gospel.  Now, mainly because of the internet, it's finally becoming clear that he had a far left agenda all those years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I'd forgotten what a lying, America-hating leftist shitbag Cronkite is.

A bitter, contemptible man.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]
the old fart used his chair at CBS to turn the tide on VN war

obviously not by himself, and I'm not defending all that happened in prosecuting the war, but Wally was the one many looked to, and when he said the president had lost the American people's support for the war

It was a tipping point

"Time for your drool cup, Mr Crankcase"
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

KING: Who's to blame for this [election mess]?

CRONKITE: Who's to blame for it really is the intensity of this campaign. Plus the fact that we have a preface to this in the last campaign. What year was that now?

CRONKITE: 2000. Thank you very much....
KING: Will Ralph Nader be a factor?

CRONKITE: He certainly could be. He was very serious factor with 3 percent of the vote, not quite 3 percent of the vote in 19...

CRONKITE: 2000, that is.

I'm speechless.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Would someone please hang a drool bucket around ole' Wallys neck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
There’s no fool like an old fool.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Liberals have lost their fucking minds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Like rn45 I had no idea that Walter was so far left until I became "politically aware".  I was a kid while he was at CBS and more than anything he's indelibly impressed on my mind as the voice of the Space Program and the race to the moon.

For that, I still have very fond memories for Walter.  Beyond that...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Ah ha....  OSB is a Carl Rove lackie after all!  Thanks for the insider tip there Walter.  I'll just have to go out and vote for sKerry now I guess.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For that, I still have very fond memories for Walter.  Beyond that...

You shouldn't.  Uncle Walt was Charlie's best friend in America during Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#20]
He’s just mad because he knows this tape will probably lock it up for the President. The tape will 1. remind the country of 9/11, 2. Be at the top of the weekend news cycle, and 3. remind  people why we took the actions that we did.

The LAST think the Kerry camp (and his supporters) want now is scenes of the World Trade Center and UBL on TV 72 hours before the election. I would be willing to be they are crapping in their collective pants right now.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#22]
"I'm Osama Bin Laden, and I approved this message"
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#23]

...Karl Rove, the political manager at the White House, who is a very clever man, he probably set up bin Laden to this thing...

Did I miss something but where did it say Rove and OBL conspired together ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]
If anybody is looking for Walt he'll be out at the dog track with a note pinned to his sweater drooling on himself................................
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

...Karl Rove, the political manager at the White House, who is a very clever man, he probably set up bin Laden to this thing...

Did I miss something but where did it say Rove and OBL conspired together ?

Keep reading. Crankite is inferring that because the missing explosives meme was so devastating to the Bush campaign they called up Bin Laden and asked him to parrot Michael Moore's propaganda.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Picture of Walter Cronkite's Office:

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

yup

put him back in the closet
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"I'm Osama Bin Laden, and I approved this message"

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Picture of Walter Cronkite's Office:

www.hunt101.com/img/218361.jpg

Mr Wilson should sue Walter...Cronkite has obviously stolen his office plans.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top