Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2001 2:54:21 PM EDT

I have had many things happen at the gun range all where at different gun ranges but I think that you will laugh when you read them.

1. I was at the range when a 21-year-old jock type came in he had on his collage football jacket and a young cute girl with him. He went up to the gun counter to rent a gun you could just tell this guy got his F.O.I.D (This is firearms owner identification card.) card well the guy asked him if he need to show him how to use the gun the young jock said no. I have one at home he then got a box of FMJ ammo and bought another kind with only 10 round in it well he gone to the range and started shooting. I think the kick on the gun was a bit much for him because he was happy when he got on the paper. Well he shot all 50 round and hit the paper about 5 times out of the 50 he next pulled out the 10 round box and loaded up all ten it the gun All I could see is that the ammo had a RED tip on them and I thought no it could not be well he got up to the line and shot and a bright red beam came out of the gun and hit the paper target well as you can guess he was using tracer round now tracer round don't mix will with paper from about 10 yard and yes he set the paper on fire he jumped over and ran out on the range to put out the fire at that time luckily for him I was the only one shooting the range officer came in and chewed him a new a--. As I just laughed as they kicked him out.

2. Is there anything funnier then the guy how shows up to the gun range with his gun in an old sock that has holes in it well there might be a few things. I was at another range when 5 men (going to be PC for this one by saying men.) showed up and pulled there guns from there jackets and waist band and if that was not bad enough they where pulling the ammo from there pockets of there pants and throwing lint and dirt from the ammo on the ground that made me laugh but then they started getting stupid by jabbing there guns in the side of each others ribs now the guns where fully loaded and at that time I just got the hell out of there.

3. this was a friend of mine how was playing with a deserts eagle 50AE we told him it was loaded and not to play with it. Well we where walking and my friend was lagging behind about 100 ft playing with the gun then we heard a loud bang we just thought it was someone shooting well we turned around to see the guy that was lagging behind just standing there we walked up to him and what did we see about half of his shoe was missing he had shoot himself in the foot luckily for him it just grazed it but boy did he feel like a jack –a-- and that was the last time I ever took him shoot the worst part about this is the guy is a heavy machine gunner in the U.S.M.C
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish we had an indoor range in our town.  Would be nice in the winter!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That's one reason I won't go to ranges.  I'm fortunate enough to have 100+ acres of land at my disposal, & when it's necessary to use up some ammo, I'll just jump on the ATV w/ my stuff & take off.  I've fabricated my own targets/supports for short & long range blasting, & this setup works perfectly well for me.  The last time I decided to meet some buds at a not-so-local range, the @55hole behind the desk (who obviously didn't know a Glock from a Smith) wouldn't let me shoot the AR that I'd brought, but my DE .50 was OK.  Whatever; & you're right, most ranges will let pretty much anyone old enough to legally drive use their facilities & any weapon they have, as long as they get their $$.  I'll not be back.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Tayous1,I sure would have liked to have read your post but damn son,your english is horrendous.Give a guy a break,huh?
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
F.O.I.D ???

I can't speak or translate that foreign language.  Can you translate that for us FREE AMERICANS to know what you are talking about.

I assume being in Occupied Territory sux.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a bad moment at my club one day.  I was the only one on the pistol range, having a great time, ignoring the one-shot-per-second bullshit.  A young guy comes strolling along with his girlfriend and sets up about 20 feet away from me, gets out his .357 mag and starts shooting.  When we both reached a stopping point, I told him I was going downrange to change targets.  At the target stand, I heard him touch off a round!  I hit the ground momentarily, got up and RAN back to the line.  Asked him WTF he thought he was doing.  He told me that he was at least 20 feet away and is a pretty good shot.  Club members have to display their membership cards, so I wrote down his membership number and turned his sorry ass in.  I heard later from the club president that he was expelled.  I have NO sympathy.  By the way, .357 blast from the muzzle end is LOUD!

Twice a year, the club closes the pistol range to allow local PD to qualify.  And every time, the target stands need to be rebuilt.  Sorry asses can't hit the paper, but chew the hell out of the stands.  Scary.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
F.O.I.D ???

I can't speak or translate that foreign language.  Can you translate that for us FREE AMERICANS to know what you are talking about.

View Quote

Leave the guy alone, Jesus.   I understood it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I just joined a range and this has happened to me about 3 times now, I'll go out to the 500yd silhouette range (my favorite thing) and it's always a middle aged, high-n-tight real quiet (tim mcveigh type? or alphabet soup sniper?) guy, not the same one but same demog. and it's always been a PSS with a external knob leupold.and they will be firing 3 and 4 shots to hit one of the targets!!! not that I'm any better, it'll take me 3 or 4, but I'm using a friggin iron sighted ASSAULT WEAPON that I only have 5months experience with. One of these guys I even saw earlier in the day at the benchrest, had his pss in a full vise, chrono antennas all in the ground in front of him. When the whole line stopped firing I went to take my targets down and saw he was just shooting at those little 1" orange stickers and was grouping about a 1/2" in the center, it's a lot easier I guess when all you touch is the trigger. Makes me feel good!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Tayous:

If you're going to make your posts this long, learn 5th-grade certifiable English.  It took entirely too much time to understand what on God's green Earth you were talking about, so please make an effort to improve your writing skills.

What is F.O.I.D. supposed to mean, anyway?

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have found that the second you think you have seen it all, some joker comes along and out does it.  It is amazing that these fools do not get hurt, or hurt anyone else.  

When I see something not quite right, I go over there and suggest a different way of doing something.  I try to make my suggestion in a way that doesn't hurt their pride or make them feel foolish.  Some people do things, because they just do not know what they are doing is wrong or dangerous.  For example the one "cowboy" who threw a bunch of cans about a yard in front of him and fired at them with a pistol to make them move.  This was on the paved surface of the firing line!

OSA
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in Illinois,
what range you talking about?    
Also, for the non-FOID people, it means
F-FIREARMS
O-OWNERS
ID-Identification
Been around since 68 around here.  
This is what I think of them [-!-}
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw a beautiful "Harley rider" type chick shooting a JP Enterprise AR with her boyfriend. Nice couple. I got to shoot their AR , they shot my Bushy. I loved that JP AR, but I loved her more. What does this have to do with anything? nothing. But, I still love chicks who shoot- anything.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry about the grammar everyone but if you have a kid you know how a 2 year old that wants you to take him swimming is. once again sorry about the spelling and grammar.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am in Illinois,

This ones are in West Dundee,Rockford and last one I think want to say Rosemont one of them was at G.A.T guns one was at Gun world I think its called is right by the airport this is the place that the men where at one of the only ranges where you need to save 10 rd for your tripe out to your car.  The last place was in Rockford where my friend shoot his foot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Maxon's?  Its in Des Plaines.  I go pistol shooting there.
Yes, Gun world, that place is  trip.  $$$ as fuck for guns and ammo, but only place around for ar shooting in Chicago.  
Never been to Gat, cause it is far from me.
C-rock
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never been to Gat, cause it is far from me.
C-rock
View Quote

Don't ever go to Gat they suck it to much money for everything there this is one of those gun store that I would go to wal-mart instead of them for ammo. Now I live in Bloomington IL and love it there is a nice place down here called darnels gun range if you know anyone who does cowboy shooting I think there one of the only places that have it and yes even thou there prices my be higher the wal-mart I go to them for my ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Back in December, I had the following range experience.                    
I was at my local range (indoor) the other day and a fellow in the lane next to me unwrapped an AR-15 that was different than anything I had ever seen. He had installed an AK style muzzle brake with a rubber hose and two hose clamps.  I tried to warn him against shooting the thing but he said he wanted to try out the brake before
having it permaentaly installed.   [;d]

He fired it and then looked back at me (I had moved a good ways back from him). He just smiled and then fired again.  This time it sounded different and the muzzle brake was gone. It went down range tearing his target off the mount and causing a lot of sparks at the end of the range. Since I was the only other one shooting in that section, he ask me to hold fire while he went down range to find it. It was still in one piece, but grossly deformed, the bullet having hit the outside flat of the forward bore. These kind of guys really give shooting a good name. NOT! [b)] [b)]

Previously posted by Bulletguy
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I and my best friend went out to a favorite place to plink up in the hills.  We were loading magazines, etc., when he turns back toward the firing line we'd set up and his Mini-14 discharged muzzle up about 2 feet from my head.
We've known each other for over 30 years, and, as luck would have it, still do...

I just looked at him, deadpan like, and the look on his face was priceless.  Somewhere between OOPS! and HOLY SHIT!

That was as long as I could keep a straight face.  I think I asked him "WTF!?" and which one of the 4 Cardinal Rules did HE break?

GUN SAFETY is an ALL THE TIME Rule.  Even the Pro's FUKK UP once in a while.
Man, I got a good laugh out of remembering this story!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I just can't get how many stupid people there are that have guns.I took my 13 year old nephew out shooting it was his first time with a hand gun I had a Glock 22 and a 1911 45acp he did great with them and I'll tell you his not the kind of kid that minds you but he did great (Mostly because he know I would kick his butt.)but I can't see why 35 year old's can't even obeys the first law of having a gun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of these guys I even saw earlier in the day at the benchrest, had his pss in a full vise, chrono antennas all in the ground in front of him. When the whole line stopped firing I went to take my targets down and saw he was just shooting at those little 1" orange stickers and was grouping about a 1/2" in the center, it's a lot easier I guess when all you touch is the trigger. Makes me feel good!
View Quote

Did you ever stop and think that this guy is likely doing load testing?

-Troy
View Quote

If he can do 1/2" at 100 with his loads while it's in a vise, what reaon would there be why he can't hit a bigass ram target when he's actually holding the gun himself with it's two foot long freakin scope unless he's one of those who thinks all the most expensive equipment is going to make a good shooter out of him?
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am in Illinois,
F-FIREARMS
O-OWNERS
ID-Identification
c-rock

View Quote

And some of you guys think CA's handgun lics. is worse because.........
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in Illinois,
F-FIREARMS
O-OWNERS
ID-Identification
c-rock

View Quote

And some of you guys think CA's handgun lics. is worse because.........
View Quote

It's a toss up between IL and CA in which has worst gun laws.
In IL. you need a FOID card to buy firearms, parts, and ammo. Exept for Chicago, no firearms need to be registered. Also, IL sucks as far as finding outdoor ranges. Otherwise there is very little restriction on what firearm you can possess. You can own, but have to drive 2 hours to a range to practice.
In CA. it's almost the opposite. No FOID, Carrying, though restricted, is allowed. However, certain firearms have to be registered and certain firearms or hi-cap magazines are illegal to buy. More outdoor ranges than IL.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
You can buy parts and mags without a FOID.  Only ammo and gun you need a FOID, and now if you are over 21 to go to a range in the chicago area.   The pit does not care.  
No hi cap bans, ar's are still around, and for the FOID. YOU get a nice grainy pic of yourself, and fill a app out, send in a $5 check, (NO CASH, cause you can't trust the state police not to steal it!!)  
2-3 weeks later a FOID shows up in the mail.  
No classes, no "tests", no fingerprinting.  Been around since 68.
Now this is the part that fucks my head up.  
THERE IS OVER 1.5 million FOID holders in the state.  
Now, look at a population of 8 million adults, and why the fuck are the anti's getting away with this BS!!  
Anyways, that is why I am not afraid to post my pic up on the net with guns.  The Police already know I have a .22, and a pic of me too.  
c-0rock
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
F.O.I.D ???

View Quote

Hey, give the man a break.  He didn't sign the bill into law, did he?
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey,

Here's one for you... At my range some guy was shooting a bolt action Rem.
When he was finished he went to put the trigger lock on with the muzzle facing his chest! Well, he forgot to check the chamber and sent a hollowpoint .308 through his stomach. so the  hospital sent a medevac helo and took him. He survived but learned his lesson, and I will never go to the range again, I have seen too much dumb crap... and that was the last straw.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#32]
What some people will do to get laid!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#33]
In my younger years I finished still-hunting whitetail one morning and was walking back to the truck that was parked near an access road. When I came into distance of seeing the truck I saw another truck parked not far from mine and some dude walking towards me about 300 yards away across an open field. This city slicker type dude comes within distance of me and pulls out half a dozen .308's and asks me if I could load his rifle so that he could drive down the road to the place he wants to hunt. The damn rifle was a bolt action Model 700! I took the cartridges out of his hand and asked him if he had anymore. He said he had the rest of the box in the truck. We walk back to the truck and I know he is feeling like a real idiot because he is completely silent. While were walking back I was debating whether to educate the guy on how to load his rifle or take the rest of the cartridges from him and leave. We get back to the trucks, I put my rifle in my truck, grab my 20 dollar bill out of the ashtray, and follow him to his truck. I ask him to give me the rest of the box of cartridges. I take the 20 dollar bill when he hands me the box and gave it to him. I asked him if he has ever shot a gun of any type before. He says "no". I asked him if he has the owners manual for his rifle. He says "yes". I asked him if he has ever read his owners manual for his rifle, he says "no". I asked him if he knew what hunter safety classes were. He says "I have heard of them but from what I understand I am not required to take them". I tell him that I feel like the responsible person here (I am 16 years old and I feel like I am being insubordinate to this 40 something year old man) and that I think that it is a very good idea that he signs up for a hunters safety course before he decides being active in the shooting sports. I told him how and where he could make arrangements for a hunters safety program. I also gave him my name and number and told him I would be happy to take him to the range anytime. I was waiting for the guy to freak out on me but he took it relatively quite calmly. He did not even complain about me taking his box of cartridges from him. I jumped in the truck and left.

I know this was not related to things you see at the gun range, but I felt that I had to share the story.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top